What's new

Looking at the offseason

We don't have the room or PT for Baze as currently constructed. We need to find the next Baze/Carroll and get them on the cheap.

Exum can get in the paint sometimes, but part of that was opponents knowing he would not hurt us in there. I think he will have success doing this in the future, but even when he got in the lane it was pretty ugly.

When he got in the lane it was ugly which is why he didn't try. But his ability to get into the lane based on his speed was clearly evident IMO. he was just very cerebral about how he played and didn't do it as it got him in trouble. If he can figure out what to do once he is in the lane...

I am not concerned about PT for the players. You want competition and them fighting for playing time. That's positive bench depth. I have no idea if the Jazz will have the cash in the next few season to bring them here. This season they do but with extensions for players like Rudy coming up I am not so sure for future seasons.

Actually he showed that he absolutely could get into the lane at will. He simply didn't try most games. Not to mention his very good D.

Having said that I am fine with going after Conley. Maybe target him and Bazemore?

Most mock drafts have the Jazz sticking at 12 and taking Furkan Korkmaz a SG.

Gobert/Withey/Pleiss
Favors/Lyles
Hayward/Bazemore/Ingles
Hood/Burks/Korkmaz
Conley/Exum/Mack

That is 14 players. Thoughts? Bench is much, much deeper, solid to great D at the rim and point all game. Outside shooting might still be a concern.

Do this but sub in trading for PJ Tucker instead of signing Bazemore as it is more realistic. I also think Burks might be moved if we brought on Conley.

When he got in the lane it was ugly which is why he didn't try. But his ability to get into the lane based on his speed was clearly evident IMO. he was just very cerebral about how he played and didn't do it as it got him in trouble. If he can figure out what to do once he is in the lane...

I am not concerned about PT for the players. You want competition and them fighting for playing time. That's positive bench depth. I have no idea if the Jazz will have the cash in the next few season to bring them here. This season they do but with extensions for players like Rudy coming up I am not so sure for future seasons.

Yeah buy if a highly sought after free agent has options he won't go to the team that has two entrenched starters and another good wing in Burks... Maybe he would, but I doubt it and he will have a ton of suitors. If we can get it done great, but i don't see a scenario where we would get both Baze and Conley. Bazemore will absolutely get 15ish M per year in free agency.

Yeah buy if a highly sought after free agent has options he won't go to the team that has two entrenched starters and another good wing in Burks... Maybe he would, but I doubt it and he will have a ton of suitors. If we can get it done great, but i don't see a scenario where we would get both Baze and Conley. Bazemore will absolutely get 15ish M per year in free agency.

OK, maybe they don't get both. That's fine. But the time of waiting is passed. DL needs to aggressively go after people this offseason.

Actually he showed that he absolutely could get into the lane at will. He simply didn't try most games. Not to mention his very good D.

Having said that I am fine with going after Conley. Maybe target him and Bazemore?

Most mock drafts have the Jazz sticking at 12 and taking Furkan Korkmaz a SG.

Gobert/Withey/Pleiss
Favors/Lyles
Hayward/Bazemore/Ingles
Hood/Burks/Korkmaz
Conley/Exum/Mack

That is 14 players. Thoughts? Bench is much, much deeper, solid to great D at the rim and point all game. Outside shooting might still be a concern.

I disagree. His handle wasn't good enough to get in at will. Defenses schemed to let him in, because he didn't have a clue what to do once in the lane. His go to move was jump in the air and pass the ball.

Do this but sub in trading for PJ Tucker instead of signing Bazemore as it is more realistic. I also think Burks might be moved if we brought on Conley.

If Burks is moved that further increases the Jazz's financial flexibility to sign two good free agents. I'm not familiar with PJ Tucker but the idea is the same. A PG and a SF/SG that can play some D and hopefully shoot the 3.

If Burks is moved that further increases the Jazz's financial flexibility to sign two good free agents. I'm not familiar with PJ Tucker but the idea is the same. A PG and a SF/SG that can play some D and hopefully shoot the 3.

Tucker is a thick wing who is a good physical defender. Can play the wing or some small ball 4. He can shoot but is not lights out. You can't ignore him like teams do to Chris Johnson.

Tucker is a thick wing who is a good physical defender. Can play the wing or some small ball 4. He can shoot but is not lights out. You can't ignore him like teams do to Chris Johnson.

I like his grit, but I don't think he's much of a player on either end. I wouldn't complain, though, if he were cheap. And maybe he'd get better looks in Utah than he's ever had?

I like his grit, but I don't think he's much of a player on either end. I wouldn't complain, though, if he were cheap. And maybe he'd get better looks in Utah than he's ever had?

He's kinda like the SF version of Trevor Booker, IMO. I wouldn't mind him, but he better not be our big signing.

Honestly, I think the Jazz our deep at 2,3,4,5 with Exum being a huge question mark. I think that they go hard after a Point Guard and make Exum earn it. Seriously, theirs nothing wrong with making Exum try and out play Conley or teague to get his playing time.

Also, with that being said I really think that this could be an off season that Jazz use there money to sign a meaningful free agent or 2. A Pg looking for a chance to win/be a title contender would be crazy to not think about signing with the Jazz. Maybe, even a player like Pau Gasol come be our 3rd big. Jazz have a ton of cap space and could easily make more. (pleiss/burke/2nd rounder for cap space?) gets you another 6+ million for next year. Jazz need to be aggressive or we lose Hayward this next year and start back up with the rebuilding process..

our big signings will be Dante Exum and Alec Burks, obviously.

As hilarious as this is, I really hope it's not true.

I'm not 100% sure what the team needs, as the young players will improve, and it's hard to say what we will see out of Exum and mack at the point, Lyles at the 4/5, or maybe 3. It's hard to say, but what I think we need is this:

1. Big physical 3/4 veteran. (Bazemore, gay)
2. Shooting 5 off the bench. (Like John leuer)
3. Mack to provide vet mentorship to Exum or trade for/sign starting quality vet pg. (Teague?)

I don't see a fit for burks on this team, or booker. I think this team could get around 50 wins if they get some more support.

I'm not 100% sure what the team needs, as the young players will improve, and it's hard to say what we will see out of Exum and mack at the point, Lyles at the 4/5, or maybe 3. It's hard to say, but what I think we need is this:

3. Mack to provide vet mentorship to Exum or trade for/sign starting quality vet pg. (Teague?)

I don't see a fit for burks on this team, or booker. I think this team could get around 50 wins if they get some more support.

your ideas are more-or-less in-line with mine. I'm not so sure about Gay, though. He could definitely help in the right role (and with the right buy-in).

Prepare for [MENTION=840]fishonjazz[/MENTION]

He's like a 35% three point shooter and I was impressed with his defense on our wings... I'll admit though I watched very little Suns basketball this year. He had a good game against us and that may be influencing my opinion.

He is still under contract so it'd have to be a trade. Think he makes 4-5 M next year as an expiring. He will be motivated and I don't think it'd cost a lot to get him. I like his back story too... He had to fight his way back in the league and those guys tend to have a little more resolve and grit.

Tucker is the guy on the other team that you don't want to guard you... Kind of an *******... We need that type of guy. A less annoying Matt Barnes with more class.

I do like the idea of the Jazz bringing in a strong, athletic wing to play next to Hayward. The way Hood advances the ball in the half court is cool and shifty, but he doesn't move the ball and put pressure on the defense as much as a someone with a quick step who can slash all the way to the rim.

If we're going the cheaper route, which I'm more inclined to do (if we can't get Conley)so as not to affect the cakk bakking and chemistry so much, Tucker is an interesting name for sure. Sefolosha is another I'm really warming up to. Can play either wing spot. Solid d. Mediocre 3 point shooter but I think this was a down year coming off the gunshot injury. Would be relatively cheap and wouldn't have any expectation to start but yet, if we really needed him to, he probably could. He'd add legit depth and certainly be an upgrade over Chris Johnson.