What's new

Looking at the offseason

Well first off Burks will be taking those minutes at the 2.

Second, playing Exum at the 2 is a waste of minutes. He needs to learn to play point guard, not sit in the corner watching someone else handle the ball.

1) There are a lot more minutes available than you think.

2) It would actually be an incredible contribution to his progress if he can play the 1 and 2.

3) This isn't about what's best for Exum's development. It's about what's best for the team. We're a better team with Conley.

1) There are a lot more minutes available than you think.

2) It would actually be an incredible contribution to his progress if he can play the 1 and 2.

3) This isn't about what's best for Exum's development. It's about what's best for the team. We're a better team with Conley.

Well no duh it would be an incredible contribution if he could play both positions. But he needs to develop in the main position we drafted him for first, the point guard position.

What's best for the team long term IS Exum's development.

But at least we agree on one thing: Burks should be traded.

The idea that Exum couldn't develop behind Conley is absolutely asinine.

I'm right there with you... like we are giving up on Exum's potential if we bring in someone ready now that can actually show him the ropes.

Think about it... you are new on the job and given a huge amount of responsibility and no mentor to show you how to do things right. Or you can have someone who has done it before show you the ropes. yup he will take some of the opportunities away from you, but you still get ample opportunities to do stuff... except that you will have some guidance and correction when you screw things up.

I think we have less than a 1% chance at it happening, but if it did it would be nothing but good.

Here's a scenario where they add plenty of shooting and don't harm the defense;

Let Mack and Burke walk, sign Tyler Johnson to play some minutes at PG. add E'twaun Moore to play 3rd string SG(take Chris Johnson's minutes), Max Harrison Barnes. Draft Skal (or Marquese Chriss if you prefer a more intense player)

Exum/Johnson/Neto
Hood/Burks/Moore
Hayward/Barnes/Ingles
Favors/Lyles/Skal
Gobert/Withey/Pleiss(or Favors/Skal)

Your going to give a guy a max contract to be a backup? LOL

I'm right there with you... like we are giving up on Exum's potential if we bring in someone ready now that can actually show him the ropes.

Think about it... you are new on the job and given a huge amount of responsibility and no mentor to show you how to do things right. Or you can have someone who has done it before show you the ropes. yup he will take some of the opportunities away from you, but you still get ample opportunities to do stuff...

Maybe you don't remember when Exum got inserted into the starting lineup along with Gobert the Jazz went 19 Wins and 10 losses while holding opponents to 89 ppg. They haven't matched that since. Now you want Jazz to try an recreate Memphis Grizzlies West and Exum to tone down his speed and athleticism to keep the Jazz playing slowdown basketball.
Jazz need to start running and use their young legs to an advantage.I think Hood ,Hayward ,Burks and Exum will benefit by pushing the ball upcourt than walking the ball up court with Conley.Conley has only played slow down basketball during his career ,he's not a good fit for the young athleticism of the Jazz.

Well first off Burks will be taking those minutes at the 2.

Second, playing Exum at the 2 is a waste of minutes. He needs to learn to play point guard, not sit in the corner watching someone else handle the ball.

The idea that Exum couldn't develop behind Conley is absolutely asinine.

Think about it... you are new on the job and given a huge amount of responsibility and no mentor to show you how to do things right. Or you can have someone who has done it before show you the ropes. yup he will take some of the opportunities away from you, but you still get ample opportunities to do stuff... except that you will have some guidance and correction when you screw things up.

I think we have less than a 1% chance at it happening, but if it did it would be nothing but good.

repped

I think Memphis will keep Lance but if not, Stephenson is a really interesting and perhaps, relatively cheap, option for us. He's played solidly in the little I've watched in this Spurs series and if Quin's been strong, it's at developing players. Maybe we could sign him and Quin could keep the kid's head on straight. He's still really young and has some of the nasty we need.

I think Memphis will keep Lance but if not, Stephenson is a really interesting and perhaps, relatively cheap, option for us. He's played solidly in the little I've watched in this Spurs series and if Quin's been strong, it's at developing players. Maybe we could sign him and Quin could keep the kid's head on straight. He's still really young and has some of the nasty we need.

No.

https://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/15355545/mike-conley-memphis-grizzlies-need-make-moves-stay

Conley is saying he wont just stay in Memphis even though he likes it there. That if they want to keep him they are going to have to make some moves to improve.

Also Locke mentioned they will call on him... and Durant... though he didn't make it seem like either was attainable. He does have some insight and certainly talks to folks. I know many don't care for his style or company man (sometimes) takes.

It sounds like he sees the writing on the wall. I can't see him leaving Memphis for a worse basketball situation like NY or LA. I think we may actually get in on this conversation.

I dont think Conley is leaving Memphis. His coach cried for his team.

He may have cried because that is the last game he will coach for the team or the last time they will have that version of the team... Or maybe he's a *****... could be any of those.

Joerger almost left last year. If they offer 5 year max then he stays... if they waffle he leaves.

Joakim Noah is also another interesting name, don't know exactly how he would fit in with Favors, Gobert, and Lyles primed to get minutes. He would add depth and vet leadership though.

lol