What's new

Looking at the offseason

Looking the list of the unrestricted free agents in 2016, I would take Mayo and Teletovic.

Mayo is done... Couldn't get motivated for a contract year... No thanks.

I like teletovic

I like Exum, but what has he done to shown he's a high caliber PG?

Was it his excellent shooting? Perhaps his ability to create offense for others? Was it his ability to get into the lane so well? As hopeful as I am for Exum, he's only good on defense right now. He's a negative on offense. Signing a guy like Conley, who helps us now, AND mentors Exum would be an A+ move. Hell, it's not like they can't play together.

Bern, if he'd actually already displayed these things we wouldn't be having this conversation, you're missing the point. What he did in his rookie season probably won't be anything like what he'll do upon his return. I doubt they'll chase a top flight point guard. Having said that i would be pretty happy if Conley did get signed, i don't see why they couldn't work a rotation that helped everyone.

Bern, if he'd actually already displayed these things we wouldn't be having this conversation, you're missing the point. What he did in his rookie season probably won't be anything like what he'll do upon his return. I doubt they'll chase a top flight point guard. Having said that i would be pretty happy if Conley did get signed, i don't see why they couldn't work a rotation that helped everyone.

All I'm saying is that Exum isn't a good reason for why we shouldn't chase Conley.

All I'm saying is that Exum isn't a good reason for why we shouldn't chase Conley.

I agree with you. I have faith in Exum but the Jazz can't afford to waste another season to evaluate if Exum could be a starter pg already next season.

The Jazz needs a competitive point guard next season. I would take Conley, Exum backup and Neto third pg. I wouldn't pick up the player option on Mack contract.

He's like a 35% three point shooter and I was impressed with his defense on our wings... I'll admit though I watched very little Suns basketball this year. He had a good game against us and that may be influencing my opinion.

He is still under contract so it'd have to be a trade. Think he makes 4-5 M next year as an expiring. He will be motivated and I don't think it'd cost a lot to get him. I like his back story too... He had to fight his way back in the league and those guys tend to have a little more resolve and grit.

bad start to the season, finished incredibly strong. He looked great out there. The Jazz should 100% go after him.

If we're going the cheaper route, which I'm more inclined to do (if we can't get Conley)so as not to affect the cakk bakking and chemistry so much, Tucker is an interesting name for sure. Sefolosha is another I'm really warming up to. Can play either wing spot. Solid d. Mediocre 3 point shooter but I think this was a down year coming off the gunshot injury. Would be relatively cheap and wouldn't have any expectation to start but yet, if we really needed him to, he probably could. He'd add legit depth and certainly be an upgrade over Chris Johnson.

I'd be hesitant not to go for players who can't shoot a good percentage of threes when they're playing in Atlanta of all places. They have + passers at all 5 positions, good offense.

I think Tucker would be better against the likes of your small ball 4s too.

Actually Exum is a good reason to not chase Conley if Conley would take the bulk of Exum's minutes.

Conley would get us to the playoffs, but that's it. Exum still has the potential to be a game changer. Our hopes of becoming a championship team basically rely on Exum becoming a stud. It's all or nothing really.

That being said, the Jazz have a better gauge on how the injury has affected Exum. If it has permanently damaged his athleticism (specifically his speed and quickness) to the extent that he won't be able to reach his pre-injury potential, then by all means we should go after Conley.

Actually Exum is a good reason to not chase Conley if Conley would take the bulk of Exum's minutes.

Conley would get us to the playoffs, but that's it. Exum still has the potential to be a game changer. Our hopes of becoming a championship team basically rely on Exum becoming a stud. It's all or nothing really.

That being said, the Jazz have a better gauge on how the injury has affected Exum. If it has permanently damaged his athleticism (specifically his speed and quickness) to the extent that he won't be able to reach his pre-injury potential, then by all means we should go after Conley.

I disagree. Short of someone at the level of players like Paul George no one is a good enough reason to not look at, and go after, upgrades at any position.

Also it does not have to be an all or nothing proposition on how you get to the chip. Bringing in a good vet PG, if that is the route the Jazz go, would get the Jazz in the playoffs. Exum will play in those games and learn and grow from them. I agree that Exum could be very special but he isn't yet. he needs time. Conley buys him that time while exposing him to the fire if you will.

I am not saying that we have to get a vet PG but I am saying I don't agree with your argument as to why we shouldn't.

I disagree. Short of someone at the level of players like Paul George no one is a good enough reason to not look at, and go after, upgrades at any position.

Also it does not have to be an all or nothing proposition on how you get to the chip. Bringing in a good vet PG, if that is the route the Jazz go, would get the Jazz in the playoffs. Exum will play in those games and learn and grow from them. I agree that Exum could be very special but he isn't yet. he needs time. Conley buys him that time while exposing him to the fire if you will.

I am not saying that we have to get a vet PG but I am saying I don't agree with your argument as to why we shouldn't.

Yes, we disagree. I don't think we have the time to play it slow and let Exum "learn from those games" when he'll only be playing 15 minutes a game.

Yes, we disagree. I don't think we have the time to play it slow and let Exum "learn from those games" when he'll only be playing 15 minutes a game.

Let's say Conley comes here...why would Exum only play 15 a night?

He can play the 1 and the 2, he's easily at 25 minutes if he plays well. Conley would also be a great mentor for Exum. If anything, the competition will help. Exum could use a little kick in the *** from somebody pushing him.

He can play the 1 and the 2, he's easily at 25 minutes if he plays well. Conley would also be a great mentor for Exum. If anything, the competition will help. Exum could use a little kick in the *** from somebody pushing him.

I guess this would mean good bye to Mack then.

How many did Chris johnson get? Exum takes all of those. Plus 16 minutes or more at point guard.

I do think, though, that our money would be better spent on better wings and bigs at the backup spots. Exum, mack and neto>>>>>>>>> Burke, neto and 1/3 season of mack.

Our point guard play will not be a weakness with those guys. It won't necessarily be elite other than defense, but the problem will still be the depth.

How many did Chris johnson get? Exum takes all of those. Plus 16 minutes or more at point guard.

I do think, though, that our money would be better spent on better wings and bigs at the backup spots. Exum, mack and neto>>>>>>>>> Burke, neto and 1/3 season of mack.

Our point guard play will not be a weakness with those guys. It won't necessarily be elite other than defense, but the problem will still be the depth.

I'd prefer a wing then look at PG and back up C.

I don't understand why people don't want to bring in a veteran PG (Conley or Teague). If we leave the PG position to Exum/Mack/Neto, that position is only good at defense(because of Exum) which IMO means it's a weakness.

It won't hurt Exum's development if you go (Conley/Exum/Mack or Teague/Exum/Mack) you are still good on defense and now you are good on offense. This is the only way I see the PG position not being a weakness. Exum could be great but he won't be "great" for 3-4 years, so why not bring in a proven, all-star caliber PG to to help mentor him and give the Jazz a true leader.

Sent from my iPhone using JazzFanz mobile app

Well first off Burks will be taking those minutes at the 2.

Second, playing Exum at the 2 is a waste of minutes. He needs to learn to play point guard, not sit in the corner watching someone else handle the ball.