What's new

Looking at the offseason

True. I don't think Barnes brings much to this team though. I think GSW matches.

Joe Ingles played 81 games, 15 mpg this year.. thats where the lions share of Barnes minutes would come from.. He'd be a massive upgrade..

If one of Burks, Hayward or Hood were to get injured it'd be GREAT to have him around..

Potentially a 24 year old player, going into his prime, with 2 rings already, you'd be crazy not to want to add him to the roster IMO.

So looking at the salary cap space and free agent available... Here are some predictions:

Batum will get at least 4 years and $100M... So will Chandler Parsons.

Fournier and Bazemore will get close to $15M plus per year on their deals.

Mike Conley leaves the Grizz and gets a megamax contract from someone... will end up being an awful deal on the backend.

Jazz will talk about all the free agents we had signed and then it just didn't work out and we decided to roll forward with continuity. Really we added Dante and Alec back... I will be mad. (I hope this last one is just a joke though).

So looking at the salary cap space and free agent available... Here are some predictions:

Batum will get at least 4 years and $100M... So will Chandler Parsons.

Fournier and Bazemore will get close to $15M plus per year on their deals.

Mike Conley leaves the Grizz and gets a megamax contract from someone... will end up being an awful deal on the backend.

Jazz will talk about all the free agents we had signed and then it just didn't work out and we decided to roll forward with continuity. Really we added Dante and Alec back... I will be mad. (I hope this last one is just a joke though).

Also, we will miraculously end up right at the salary floor for the year (flexibility ya know).

Supposedly a lot of teams won't be able to reach the salary floor next season.

The most likely scenario is we re-negotiate and extend Favors (he's the only player eligible to do this on our roster). That uses 9-12 M of our cap space right there, but gives us two years on the backend with less money. We then use $10-15 M on mild upgrades either through trades where we take on salary or through signings. Burke goes out for no returning salary, CJ is probably not picked up... this leaves us around 80-85 M which is near the floor.

I don't think Philly hit the floor this year... Not sure on Porty... so yeah some teams won't make it. We will though.

I would try to offer Conley, Batum, or Parsons the 4 year $100M contract. We can move things around pretty easily to make it work and it protects us (a little) if Hayward leaves. We could move Burks, Burke, and Pleiss and clear $15 M this year and $10 ish M going forward.

Would be a big get to grab one of those guys without giving up any assets. May cost us Hood long term.

The most likely scenario is we re-negotiate and extend Favors (he's the only player eligible to do this on our roster). That uses 9-12 M of our cap space right there, but gives us two years on the backend with less money. We then use $10-15 M on mild upgrades either through trades where we take on salary or through signings. Burke goes out for no returning salary, CJ is probably not picked up... this leaves us around 80-85 M which is near the floor.

I don't think Philly hit the floor this year... Not sure on Porty... so yeah some teams won't make it. We will though.

Portland doesn't actually have that much space I believe. Not reaching the floor isn't a bad thing, the extra money will just be given to the players on the roster.

I would try to offer Conley, Batum, or Parsons the 4 year $100M contract. We can move things around pretty easily to make it work and it protects us (a little) if Hayward leaves. We could move Burks, Burke, and Pleiss and clear $15 M this year and $10 ish M going forward.

Would be a big get to grab one of those guys without giving up any assets. May cost us Hood long term.

Parsons, meh. Moving Burks wouldn't be the greatest idea. I think Pleiss is here for his contract.

Portland doesn't actually have that much space I believe. Not reaching the floor isn't a bad thing, the extra money will just be given to the players on the roster.

It represents an asset completely wasted. The players may like it but it won't be anything that helps us retain them.

Parsons, meh. Moving Burks wouldn't be the greatest idea. I think Pleiss is here for his contract.

I like Alec... We could move him with no money coming back and a pick if we added one of these guys... The overall asset base would increase. I'm kind of meh on parsons and he'd be the worst fit of those guys.

Honestly, I'd love the addition of Rudy Gay. I don't know what it would take but he'd be a perfect backup 3/4. Or just for some kicks and giggles....Melo/Calderon to the Jazz for Burke, Burks, our Lotto pick, g.s. 1st, okc 1st.

I'm not so sure Conley is a pipe dream. It all depends on his values. He could sign a rich, two-year deal with the Jazz and wager that his stock will rise even further when he's seen as a pivotal piece that brought the franchise back to relevance. He'd then still be young enough to sign a lucrative 4-year deal right after that.

If he plays well and Exum proves ready at end of next year, then Conley easily fetches a late-first round pick or another player to help balance the roster.

We should definitely go for him.

Lol. Conley is old mang. He has to sign a max contract now while he decline reclines on it. Sign him if you want Brooklyns DWizzy.

I would throw a max deal at Bradley Beal before I went after Gay, Barnes or Batum. Beal is a better player than any of those three. He is also younger. A lineup of Exum, Beal, Hayward, Favors Gobert is one of the best starting lineups across the board and having backups of Mack/Neto Burk Hood Lyles Withey/FA and our draft pick is a really solid bench. That team competes for a 3 seed next year. I know Beal has had injuries but I dont see them as chronic or tied together. It is a little bit of a risk but I think we need to take a risk.

Although the first thing we need to do when FA hits is contact Durant and offer him the Max. There is almost no chance of him signing but we still need to put ourselves out there and let players and agents know we view ourselves as a spot for top players. If in some crazy world we do get Durant I would consider trading Burk and some other stuff for Bledsoe or Knight and Tyson Chandler. That would bolster our roster and give us the veteran presence we need. Chandler would push Gobert to be better and maybe help him step up his game. Bledsoe or Knight could start and Exum could come off the bench until he proves to be better than them. We would compete for a championship immediately with that lineup, but thats just a silly dream.

Other players to pursue that probably wont happen but we should look into anyways are: Conley, Irving (when Cavs lose in the playoffs they are moving him imo), Westbrook (when durant leaves), DeRozan. I dont think PG is as big of a need as this post sounds but when you get a star or really good player at that spot without giving up too much then we should. We also need to take chances at some of these big names. Who cares if all of them say no.

Players I would be nervous but hope could make us better that Jazz could pursue: Rajon Rondo, he has played well and I think would provide some toughness we need and get our team much needs easy baskets. He would hurt our spacing a bit since a lineup of him, Gobert and Favors would leave only 2 outside threats. He is also still temperamental though. Ryan Anderson, the ultimate stretch 4, not a need and would take away minutes from Lyles who might ultimately be as good or better. Noah, who probably doesnt want to come off the bench but would provide a solid vet with playoffs experience and toughness that could help this team and push Rudy and Favors to be better.

Players that we might not be able to get without overpaying but would be nice to help us. Fournier, Turner, Bazemore, Deng (getting old but a solid presence and great off the bench), Green (decent 3/4 bench player), Afflalo (vet 3&D player off the bench) and Eric Gordon (injury prone but if healthy could be great for us with his shooting), Mirza Teletovic (would provide spacing coming off the bench and could allow to space our defenders at times with Gobert playing a few more minutes with Lyles and allowing Favors to play PF more minutes instead of center with Mirza)

I am sure lots of trade opportunities will rise up this off season. I think this is the off season we finally stop being asset collection phase and go for winning. We have lots of trading chips and teams will be looking at us to make moves. We are in a really good position this off season. We dont need to make any big moves. We can shore up our bench with a couple small FA signings but if the right opportunity knocks we can go for it. Anyone down on the Jazz needs to cheer up, the future is bright and this off season is the time to jump on the bandwagon, its about to take off.

I'm not so sure Conley is a pipe dream. It all depends on his values. He could sign a rich, two-year deal with the Jazz and wager that his stock will rise even further when he's seen as a pivotal piece that brought the franchise back to relevance. He'd then still be young enough to sign a lucrative 4-year deal right after that.

If he plays well and Exum proves ready at end of next year, then Conley easily fetches a late-first round pick or another player to help balance the roster.

We should definitely go for him.

All year I have thought it was a pipe dream too, but if he leaves the Grizz this is the best basketball situation for him of the teams that need point guards. Reports are he may leave... They dismantled the fringe pieces, don't have draft picks, coach may be leaving, and all he really has left on his roster is Marc Gasol who is coming off a knee or foot surgery (can't remember).

He could go to a glamour market and continue losing, but with the hopes that others will come. The only other team I see that has a need, space, and good situation is Indiana... maybe Milwaukee, but I would think our situation is better than that.

It is still in the not likely to happen and he would want at least a 4 year max (he hasn't ever made more than $10 M per year, so the money will need to be there). I'm sure we would hate the last year of that deal and it likely would mean that Burks is gone and that we lose another cog at some point. It is interesting.

How many more games do we win with a healthy Favors, Gobert, and Exum? With development from Hood and Lyles? Adding Mike Conley at the point? Are we a 55 win team?

I think Conley is realistic, but even if he's not, where else is he gonna go? and could it force another player to become available to us?

Just from browsing the unrestricted free agents, Teletovic is one of the more intriguing ones that I don't think would be too difficult to lure away.

If I'm Utah, I try and add Teague for t. Burkes/Pliess/Lotto pick/G.s pick. Then look to add R.Gay for Burks/2nd rounder. Then look to add Mirza Teletovic for some deepth.

Jazz roation:
Teague, Hood, Hayward, Favors, Gorbert
Exum, Gay, Lyles, Mirza, Withley
Mack, Nato, Ingles and then some guy like Luke Babbit for some extra shooting.

Lol. Conley is old mang. He has to sign a max contract now while he decline reclines on it. Sign him if you want Brooklyns DWizzy.

Conley is 28,so still has some good years in him, especially on a 4 year contract.

All year I have thought it was a pipe dream too, but if he leaves the Grizz this is the best basketball situation for him of the teams that need point guards. Reports are he may leave... They dismantled the fringe pieces, don't have draft picks, coach may be leaving, and all he really has left on his roster is Marc Gasol who is coming off a knee or foot surgery (can't remember).

He could go to a glamour market and continue losing, but with the hopes that others will come. The only other team I see that has a need, space, and good situation is Indiana... maybe Milwaukee, but I would think our situation is better than that.

It is still in the not likely to happen and he would want at least a 4 year max (he hasn't ever made more than $10 M per year, so the money will need to be there). I'm sure we would hate the last year of that deal and it likely would mean that Burks is gone and that we lose another cog at some point. It is interesting.

How many more games do we win with a healthy Favors, Gobert, and Exum? With development from Hood and Lyles? Adding Mike Conley at the point? Are we a 55 win team?

I think we would be in a really good spot, I would look to add some more shooting off the bench and vet presence if we signed Conley.

I think Conley is realistic, but even if he's not, where else is he gonna go? and could it force another player to become available to us?

Just from browsing the unrestricted free agents, Teletovic is one of the more intriguing ones that I don't think would be too difficult to lure away.

I still think it is highly likely he stays with the Grizzles. We already have lyles so I don't think Teletovic would be a likely signing.