What's new

Looking for genuine discourse re: Donald Sterling/NBA

Poor sterling.
He will probably only make between 500 million and a billion dollars when he sells his team.... to add to his other millions or billions.

I hope welfare will help him out at least

Sterling will be fine - I'm not worried, nor do I care about him.

property rights. Forcing a sale.

A franchise is not the same as any other property you can own. It is a partnership with a governing body. There is no law saying that he has a right to own an nba franchise. If the nba decides it is not in their best interest to let him own a franchise, then it is their prerogative to remove him from ownership. He is lucky they are allowing him to sell the team. They could probably pursue terminating his franchise. There has been talk of contraction, and aside from this clippers team, they have been terrile enough to warrant contraction.

A franchise is not the same as any other property you can own. It is a partnership with a governing body. There is no law saying that he has a right to own an nba franchise. If the nba decides it is not in their best interest to let him own a franchise, then it is their prerogative to remove him from ownership. He is lucky they are allowing him to sell the team. They could probably pursue terminating his franchise. There has been talk of contraction, and aside from this clippers team, they have been terrile enough to warrant contraction.

If he owned a Seven Eleven franchise and he violated his contract they could force him out. Bentleys argument is childish. If you buy a condo and you become a nuisance you can be forced to sell by the hoa. Legal contracts usually trump property rights.

That is completely false. There are plenty of people in the nba and nba alums who could be very successful. Even on the jazz, Richard Jefferson has an MBA, and is known to be very intelligent. Look at Stockton and Malone, super rich and successful. Stockton is on his way to becoming a billionaire. When he was inducted into the hall of fame, I read his net worth was over $600 mm.

Pat Riley was a former player, Jerry Sloan was a former player, magic Johnson is a super successful business man. To say that these players could not fugure out how to run a successful league is beyond dishonest and is plain stupid.

Even if they couldn't figure it out, lebron alone could bankroll a league for a year with the money he has made.

yet they used to threathen the nba with it during the lockout.

let me put it this way it aint gonna work

Sterling will be fine - I'm not worried, nor do I care about him.

i do not care about sterling also.

i care about this mob lynching.
322 years after the salem witch trials. we have another on on our hands.

why do you think Marc cuban did a 360. he truly beleives he should and need to say whatever the **** he wants in his own home.

yet less then 24 hours later he chances his stance.

SALEM witch and court of public opinion doe.

heck even the muther****ing so called "president of The united states" got in on the lynching.

seriously obama shut the **** up

is this a case of "Mass hysteria"

of is everything these days mass hysteria because of the globalization.

Mass hysteria — other names include collective hysteria, group hysteria, or collective obsessional behavior — in sociology and psychology refers to collective delusions of threats to society that spread rapidly through rumors and fear.

i care about this mob lynching.
322 years after the salem witch trials. we have another on on our hands.
Dutch, this analogy is horrible.

The salem witch trial had women being MURDERED because people thought they were witches and they didnt get fair and just trials.

This situation has some old rich dude being forced to get alot richer ..... and he can fight in court.

So you see..... getting murdered cause people think you're a witch is much worse than getting paid 500 million dollars cause people think your a racist. imo.

Do you understand that dutch?

That is completely false. There are plenty of people in the nba and nba alums who could be very successful. Even on the jazz, Richard Jefferson has an MBA, and is known to be very intelligent. Look at Stockton and Malone, super rich and successful. Stockton is on his way to becoming a billionaire. When he was inducted into the hall of fame, I read his net worth was over $600 mm.

Stockton does not have a net worth of $600M. Most reports say it's around $45M. Not sure where you come up with that number? Perhaps somebody added a zero to his $66M in salary he earned in the NBA?

Richard Jefferson does not have an MBA.

Stockton does not have a net worth of $600M. Most reports say it's around $45M. Not sure where you come up with that number? Perhaps somebody added a zero to his $66M in salary he earned in the NBA?

Richard Jefferson does not have an MBA.

...yeah, noway Stockton is worth $600 million! Heck, the whole state of Utah is worth less than that! :cool:

Dutch, this analogy is horrible.

The salem witch trial had women being MURDERED because people thought they were witches and they didnt get fair and just trials.

.....I believe the Dutchman was using a "hyperbole" don't ya think? It's a figure of speech, used in various ways when someone is getting a "raw deal".....another figure of speech!

.....I believe the Dutchman was using a "hyperbole" don't ya think? It's a figure of speech, used in various ways when someone is getting a "raw deal".....another figure of speech!

Even figures of speech have meaning, and this comparison to a witch trial is an abuse of that meaning. There are no victims being chosen randomly for their lack of social status. No one is being executed. none of the other NBa owners stand to benefit from Sterling's property. None of the usual forces that go into a witch trial are at play here.

I agree with Fish in regards to the obvious difference between Sterling and those accused of witchcraft back in the day. Well articulated, Fish. But I agree with Dutch in regards to people like Cuban pointing out the "slippery slope" and then, out of self-preservation, flipflopping to "burn the witch!" This is a hot button issue and there doesn't seem to be much tolerance for reasonably looking at the situation - because then you risk the mob calling you a witch, rather than listening with a level head. This is what I think Dutch is referring to when he likens it to the Salem witch trials. I see it.

I don't pretend to know anything about the NBA constitution. Under its rules, much like 7-11 or McDonald's - examples that have been cited - the NBA has some say in regards to the conduct of franchise owners. But I think Sterling will bog this thing down in the courts, appealing to the US constitution, and claim the clippers are his property and so no one can make him sell. He'll claim this I think. And he can bog it down with claims that the recorded conversation doesn't prove he's a racist, but rather a jealous, badgered old man whose whore steered his jealousy over who she poses in pics with toward a racial issue. She was the one who kept bring things back to race.

I understand people not having sympathy for him. He's gonna make an insane profit off selling this team. As Nickkk said "Boo ****ing hoo."

But I think the actual evidence against Sterling is weak. Which is probably why Anderson Cooper is trying to shape public opinion - he isn't presenting the news, he's steering it. This I find pathetic and sad. I mean, I think the main reason Sterling hurts the clippers franchise is because everyone's so stirred up by incendiary media - news people telling the audience how they should react to the tape. Sterling's guilty of being a stupid jealous old man who deluded himself into thinking Stiviano liked him, when it looks like she was setting him up. Everyone's so busy wagging their fingers at racism that no one's asking the questions: Who recorded the conversation? and WHY did they do it? What was their motive in all this? But asking these questions either ostracizes you or puts you in danger of others crying "burn the witch!"

^^^^ good post.

I dont particularly give a **** what happens in this situation tbh.

Sterling sucks for the most part and will come out of this situation just fine no matter what happens.

The chick that recorded him sucks and will come out of the situation with more money and fame than she had before, so she will be happy.

No one has been or will be hurt from this issue and there really is no true "victim" in this case.

Im surprised at how many people care about this sterling thing.

Im surprised at how many people care about this sterling thing.

Ditto. These are the ramblings of a jealous 80 year old man. But yeah, I'm a little embarrassed at how it's pissed me off. Sterling calling out Magic for being a lousy example for the youth of Los Angeles is so the pot calling the kettle black (I apologize for the pun - not intended). Give Sterling a mic and he displays his idiocy. But yeah, obviously, my strong reaction has been to the media shaping the story for the public and being surprised at how easily it appears they've done it. They do this **** all the time so I'm probably just at capacity. I hate the media cramming a narrative down my throat.

Ditto. These are the ramblings of a jealous 80 year old man. But yeah, I'm a little embarrassed at how it's pissed me off. Sterling calling out Magic for being a lousy example for the youth of Los Angeles is so the pot calling the kettle black (I apologize for the pun - not intended). Give Sterling a mic and he displays his idiocy. But yeah, obviously, my strong reaction has been to the media shaping the story for the public and being surprised at how easily it appears they've done it. They do this **** all the time so I'm probably just at capacity. I hate the media cramming a narrative down my throat.

also have not followed the nba. but i heard they where pimping the anderson cooper donald sterling interview. using the marketing.

btw shaq makes me puke. that hypocryt

Funny thing is, would Sterling bang that chick again? He probably would - that's how looney he seems to be. So could this kind of thing happen again the future? Again - it probably could!

And if he is in fact that looney, I think the NBA has grounds for dismissing him irregardless of the racist comment.

The fact that he made it worse by going to Anderson Cooper and "bad mouth" and NBA legend, to me this alone is nearly enough grounds for him being banned.