What's new

Manners....RIP

YB85

Banned
Contributor
Just wondering when having manners and decency died. The past couple of evenings, I've seen stuff that blew me away. We were on Trax Tuesday night after the Paul McCartney concert and the train was packed. I gave up my seat to an older lady who was sweating like Al Jefferson. While standing, I looked around and was amazed at how many older ladies were also standing as men sat and rode. What the ****? If I did that, I suspect that my grandfather would rise from his grave just to kick my *** zombie-style.

Then last night, we were at the airport waiting for my boys and my mother. While waiting there was a group of people gathered to welcome home a soldier. One of those waiting was an elderly lady with a walker. She shuffled by the row of chairs occupied by men and women alike and not one of them offered their seat. I asked her if I could get a chair for her and she told me that she would really appreciate it. I made sure that I looked at the men sitting obliviously in comfort as I brought a chair from a nearby table.

I know, cool story, bro.

So I ask, has decency died? What the hell has happened that **** like this goes on? Are these isolated incidents or am I the one who is out of it?

You're right.

I hate when I hold the door for people and they don't say thank you. If they choose to be so ignorant, I have recently started to go out of my way to say, "Your welcome," just because. Off the top of my head, I think that more than anything else pisses me off as far as manners are concerned.

Just wondering when having manners and decency died. The past couple of evenings, I've seen stuff that blew me away. We were on Trax Tuesday night after the Paul McCartney concert and the train was packed. I gave up my seat to an older lady who was sweating like Al Jefferson. While standing, I looked around and was amazed at how many older ladies were also standing as men sat and rode. What the ****? If I did that, I suspect that my grandfather would rise from his grave just to kick my *** zombie-style.

Then last night, we were at the airport waiting for my boys and my mother. While waiting there was a group of people gathered to welcome home a soldier. One of those waiting was an elderly lady with a walker. She shuffled by the row of chairs occupied by men and women alike and not one of them offered their seat. I asked her if I could get a chair for her and she told me that she would really appreciate it. I made sure that I looked at the men sitting obliviously in comfort as I brought a chair from a nearby table.

I know, cool story, bro.

So I ask, has decency died? What the hell has happened that **** like this goes on? Are these isolated incidents or am I the one who is out of it?

I went and played some ball last night in Lehi. We got done around 11 and on my way home, I got off at the Orem Center Street exit. While I was driving in front of Mountain View High school, I noticed an old lady with gray hair walking like a penguin because she was carrying about 10 bags full of groceries in each arm. I stopped my car and got out and asked her if she would like some help carrying the bags or if she wanted me to drive her some where. She treated me as if I was going to kill her, didn't look me in the eye and said, "No, I don't need your help! On your way!" I was like, ok. I felt really bad that I scared her and I felt even more bad watching her struggle with all those groceries. Anyways, sometimes I feel as if society doesn't accept help, or want help like it used to . We're all scared because they're are so many weirdos in the world and because of the media. I was raised by a step mom from Mississippi, and if I didn't show proper manners, she would rip me a new one. I'm glad she raised me that way.

You know what drives me bat crap? When people are at resturaunts and they treat the waiter/waitress poorly. When a waiter asks what you want, how hard is it to say, "Can I have this please.", or "I would like this, please." -- not, "Give me this." and "Give me that." -- it irritates the hell out of me. Be polite, you dicks.

BTW, yes YB, cool story indeed bro.

I went and played some ball last night in Lehi. We got done around 11 and on my way home, I got off at the Orem Center Street exit. While I was driving in front of Mountain View High school, I noticed an old lady with gray hair walking like a penguin because she was carrying about 10 bags full of groceries in each arm. I stopped my car and got out and asked her if she would like some help carrying the bags or if she wanted me to drive her some where. She treated me as if I was going to kill her, didn't look me in the eye and said, "No, I don't need your help! On your way!" I was like, ok. I felt really bad that I scared her and I felt even more bad watching her struggle with all those groceries. Anyways, sometimes I feel as if society doesn't accept help, or want help like it used to . We're all scared because they're are so many weirdos in the world and because of the media. I was raised by a step mom from Mississippi, and if I didn't show proper manners, she would rip me a new one. I'm glad she raised me that way.

Some people won't accept help but the offer is always there. When I was in high school, my summer job was working at my (previously referenced) late grandfather's gas station. The station was self serve, but my job was to pump gas/check oil/clean windshield for women who came to the station. In the four summers I did that, I had one woman who ripped into me because I was treating her like she was inferior to men. Every other woman was appreciative. I even had some who asked if I was available to help them at home while their husband was at work. My grandfather overrode my acceptance.

Well, I was a freshman at a small college and never thought anything like that would happen to me.

I hadda Babe once who was so concerned and considerate that she would treat civil servants who was just doin they job just as well as she would the guys she was goin out with. She would always "tip" the mailman, for example.

I know, cool story, bro.

YB, it hasn't died. You proved that with this post.

One can never worry about those around you. Meaning, you do what you think is right and if you can affect those in your life that look to you for guidance, then you will continue your ideals and values. Teach your boys well. Teach them to respect everyone, no matter what color, size, gender, age, religion, etc. You'll make a better world and your kids will be better people.

Personally, I am probably over polite, if there is such a thing. I say thank you, good welcome, no worries, more than I should I think...sometimes I come off being weak.

One can never worry about those around you. Meaning, you do what you think is right and if you can affect those in your life that look to you for guidance, then you will continue your ideals and values. Teach your boys well. Teach them to respect everyone, no matter what color, size, gender, age, religion, etc. You'll make a better world and your kids will be better people.

Personally, I am probably over polite, if there is such a thing. I say thank you, good welcome, no worries, more than I should I think...sometimes I come off being weak.

It's probably because you're a minority, and short. If you came off as a prick it wouldn't take much for Billy Badass to drop kick you back to where-ever your parents come from.

But that's not how I feel. I think you're swell and your manners complement your stature quite nicely.

My, god. This is probably the nicest thing I've ever seen you post.

+1

I just try to live by the Golden Rule. Sometimes I can be a dick... but it eventually comes back at me. I've learned in the last few weeks that life is too short to carry any hatred or ill-will. I hold doors open when its appropriate, I try to be courteous in traffic, and try to be nice to everyone- except Archie.

I just try to live by the Golden Rule. Sometimes I can be a dick... but it eventually comes back at me. I've learned in the last few weeks that life is too short to carry any hatred or ill-will. I hold doors open when its appropriate, I try to be courteous in traffic, and try to be nice to everyone- except Archie.

I will forgive you, dude. Well everything about you except your extremely poor taste in movies. But other than that, I'm sure you're a cool guy.

I'm not going to lie, it kind of hurts my feelings when I get picked on online by a bunch of weed smoking hippies that don't shave. Seriously, it hurts brosephs.