What's new

Manti Te'o's fake girlfriend.......

Duck Rodgers

This story is unreal, completely hilarious, and might make you lose faith in the media's ability to provide you with real facts. Worth the long read:

https://deadspin.com/5976517/manti-...tory-of-the-college-football-season-is-a-hoax

Notre Dame's Manti Te'o, the stories said, played this season under a terrible burden. A Mormon linebacker who led his Catholic school's football program back to glory, Te'o was whipsawed between personal tragedies along the way. In the span of six hours in September, as Sports Illustrated told it, Te'o learned first of the death of his grandmother, Annette Santiago, and then of the death of his girlfriend, Lennay Kekua.

Her passing, recounted so many times in the national media, produces no obituary or funeral announcement in Nexis, and no mention in the Stanford student newspaper.

Oh and, I didn't have faith in the media anyways. If this is the story that breaks your trust of the media, and you didn't know they are terrible at reporting the facts, well then I feel sorry for any of you that didn't already realize this.

Could you imagine if they would have won the chip or he the Heisman? The girlfriend story was a big ongoing theme of college football this year, but the lie would've entered a different stratosphere if either of those things happened. The CIA should wrap this dude up after he gets done with the NFL.

How could any future teammate look at him as a leader? His draft stock should fall and fall hard based on his showing (or lack thereof) in the title game and this ruse. I really hope he falls to the late 2nd round or later.

Te'o issued a statement Tuesday afternoon:

"This is incredibly embarrassing to talk about, but over an extended period of time, I developed an emotional relationship with a woman I met online. We maintained what I thought to be an authentic relationship by communicating frequently online and on the phone, and I grew to care deeply about her. "To realize that I was the victim of what was apparently someone's sick joke and constant lies was, and is, painful and humiliating. "It further pains me that the grief I felt and the sympathies expressed to me at the time of my grandmother's death in September were in any way deepened by what I believed to be another significant loss in my life. "I am enormously grateful for the support of my family, friends and Notre Dame fans throughout this year. To think that I shared with them my happiness about my relationship and details that I thought to be true about her just makes me sick. I hope that people can understand how trying and confusing this whole experience has been. "In retrospect, I obviously should have been much more cautious. If anything good comes of this, I hope it is that others will be far more guarded when they engage with people online than I was. "Fortunately, I have many wonderful things in my life, and I'm looking forward to putting this painful experience behind me as I focus on preparing for the NFL Draft."

Let's just hope this part is truth, right(it's obviously not if the deadspin story is correct)? Because it really feels like he might just be digging a deeper hole.

HA HA HA . . . It was actually a dude pretending to be a woman that he was online dating. CLASSIC!!! And clever getting an old high school friend to personalize photos to look authentic. I know internet dating is big, but this seems all too common lately.

So he thought someone he met online but never in person was his girlfriend?

Holy ****, he's a bigger doucher than I thought just five minutes ago.

HA HA HA . . . It was actually a dude pretending to be a woman that he was online dating. CLASSIC!!! And clever getting an old high school friend to personalize photos to look authentic. I know internet dating is big, but this seems all too common lately.

Here's the problem with that scenario(even though that would be the most humorous angle):

1: Te'o and Kekua are friends. "She was gifted in music, multi-lingual, had dreams grounded in reality and the talent to catch up to them" (South Bend Tribune). "They started out as just friends," Te'o's father, Brian, told the Tribune in October 2012. "Every once in a while, she would travel to Hawaii, and that happened to be the time Manti was home, so he would meet with her there."

Where did Manti's dad get the story that he was hanging out with the girl in Hawaii? Obviously from Manti himself....which would debunk Manti's claim that he is the one that got duped. The bad thing for Manti is this is not just a "fun" media hoax. He apparently involved everyone in his entire life.

Last edited:
Him getting duped seems much much more likely than that he masterminded this whole thing for publicity.

If he was in on it, Wow.

Him getting duped seems much much more likely than that he masterminded this whole thing for publicity.

If he was in on it, Wow.

Who is the third party then? No way Manti was chatting up a kid he actually knew for hours and hours while the kid was pretending to be a girl. Again, I hope that is the truth because it would be super funny to me....but no way.

If he was in on it, Wow.
Then who the **** did he talk on the phone to, again and again?
If he got duped then he has to be the most IDIOTIC jock out there.