What's new

Game Thread Mar 18, 2022 07:00PM MT: Jazz vs. Clippers

Added to Calendar: 03-18-22

I don’t see it. NAW moves and plays like Mitchell but is way worse at finishing in traffic, he’s more explosive and much quicker. Clarkson is more cerebral in his movement, and relies more on footwork and search dribbles to get where he wants and uses an array at floaters and hook shots.
You're right. You dont see it.

None of that is going to happen. When everyone is healthy, NAW, Juancho, Paschall and Butler won't be in the rotation...House, Gay and likely Forrest will be, and Conley's definitely going to keep playing the same amount of minutes with the second unit as he always does.
Not so sure about NAW and Paschall. I dont think the 240 minutes is locked in at this point and both of those guys have a shot, particularly based upon playoff match ups.

I dont think Forest sees the floor much at all during the playoffs and the same will be true for Butler. Given the choice, we are a lot weaker on defense than we are on offense which is why Forest will get the minutes if they exist.
He shouldn’t… if you need a ball handling guard it should be Butler… if you need a wing defender it should be NAW. Forrest’s lack of shooting will offset any benefits his defense provides.

Not so sure about NAW and Paschall. I dont think the 240 minutes is locked in at this point and both of those guys have a shot, particularly based upon playoff match ups.

Rotations are shortened in the playoffs; starters play a lot more minutes and there's even less minutes to go around for the bench guys. Quin will almost certainly go with a 9-man rotation of the starters and JC, House, Gay and Whiteside off the bench. I guess it's possible Forrest or Paschall could get a couple of minutes here and there, but I definitely don't expect NAW to see the floor. Of course, there's always a chance that injuries will throw a monkey wrench into things and Quin will have to go deeper to the bench than he would like.

None of that is going to happen. When everyone is healthy, NAW, Juancho, Paschall and Butler won't be in the rotation...House, Gay and likely Forrest will be, and Conley's definitely going to keep playing the same amount of minutes with the second unit as he always does.
upcoming games will tell us more if they can get some minutes. nets, celtics, mavs, warriors, Griz and Suns. the game vs clips doesn't count it's not competitive. I do have a strange feeling Mike will play less minutes come playoff time, maybe won't even close games. I'm more optimistic on NAW though. butler, juancho, paschall not so much but who knows .

He shouldn’t… if you need a ball handling guard it should be Butler… if you need a wing defender it should be NAW. Forrest’s lack of shooting will offset any benefits his defense provides.
But he's in the system. The system cannot be denied. It took him 2 years to learn the system. If you don't have 2 years in the system you cannot be he system and the system cannot be you. Now he is the system. Butler cannot be in the system, he hasn't paid the price yet, his time is too short. Performance doesn't matter. Potential doesn't matter. Skill doesn't matter. The system is all that matters. The system is all. The system is life.

But he's in the system. The system cannot be denied. It took him 2 years to learn the system. If you don't have 2 years in the system you cannot be he system and the system cannot be you. Now he is the system. Butler cannot be in the system, he hasn't paid the price yet, his time is too short. Performance doesn't matter. Potential doesn't matter. Skill doesn't matter. The system is all that matters. The system is all. The system is life.
The pick and roll last game he ran where he held Hartenstein for like a full second while Rudy got to his spot then he hit him is system mastery.

Honestly if things don’t work out this year and we reconfigure I hope they move JC and let JB be the bench creator scorer. He can mix up creating and scoring… he’s just a really good initiator even if the ball does stick a bit… it sticks because he can actually do something with it.

upcoming games will tell us more if they can get some minutes. nets, celtics, mavs, warriors, Griz and Suns. the game vs clips doesn't count it's not competitive. I do have a strange feeling Mike will play less minutes come playoff time, maybe won't even close games. I'm more optimistic on NAW though. butler, juancho, paschall not so much but who knows .

I completely disagree about Mike...they've cut his minutes to 28 a game this season to keep him healthy but I would expect them to increase to around 33-35 a game in the playoffs, and I absolutely think he'll close games.

The pick and roll last game he ran where he held Hartenstein for like a full second while Rudy got to his spot then he hit him is system mastery.

Honestly if things don’t work out this year and we reconfigure I hope they move JC and let JB be the bench creator scorer. He can mix up creating and scoring… he’s just a really good initiator even if the ball does stick a bit… it sticks because he can actually do something with it.
I think Butler's next step is to learn to be a little more patient in letting plays progress. He's a little too happy settling for his step back 3 when an initial action doesn't yield results.

It is super nice he has that step back 3 that he can get off at any time. I know you've said this before as well, but not having him locked in for a third year is killing me.

Butler just needs minutes and has since the season started. He gets better and shows us more every time he gets extended minutes. His poise is better, the game is slowing down for him you can tell, and his patience and decision making gets better every game. Really hope to see more from him. Imagine if we had been giving him some time from the get-go this season.

and shooting guard (mitchell is hella short). So basically we gained size/length at the two positions that had different starters. The other starters were the same as normal though.
I asked about length, not height. Mitchell's standing reach is 1" less than Alexander-Walker, and his wingspan is 1" longer. They are pretty much equally long.