What's new

Marijuana: Facts, Myths, and plain old Stupidity.

How old are you?

68. First time I smoked pot was Dec. 26, 1965. My high school buddies and I had attended the Holiday Basketball Tourney at MSG, and I stayed with one of them at his cousin's place in Greenwich Village. Got high too, even though that's rare for first timers.

One of my family members uses medicinal marijuana for Huntington's Disease. It helps with his mood.
It has also helped me reduce use of opioids, which I have had to use for chronic pain. For me, personally, I would not say it actually reduces pain, but it makes pain more tolerable, if that makes sense.

In truth, I would never recommend to any young person that they make a habit out of it. I think it really can have an affect on ambition, for instance. But, I certainly never noticed any cognitive/intellectual erosion as a result of having used it for so long.

It must have health effects, if only because it's smoke. Whatever price I paid, well, so be it I would say. It did not stop me from having a "normal" life.

....yeah, we already have millions of young people that are unemployed and unemployable, so let's make it legal to smoke marijuana so that number will top a billion! Research has shown that marijuana's negative effects on attention, memory, and learning can last for days or weeks after the acute effects of the drug wear off, depending on the user’s history with the drug. Consequently, someone who smokes marijuana daily may be functioning at a reduced intellectual level most or all of the time. Studies have also suggested specific links between marijuana use and adverse consequences in the workplace, such as increased risk for injury or accidents. One study among postal workers found that employees who tested positive for marijuana on a pre-employment urine drug test had 55 percent more industrial accidents, 85 percent more injuries, and 75 percent greater absenteeism compared with those who tested negative for marijuana use.

My real question here, and I am serious, because it jumped right off the page for me, is whether or not the USPS hires people who fail drug tests? An applicant for the USPS tests positive for marijuana, and then they hire him? Is this true? I find that hard to believe, but that seems to be what the last bit of "information" in the quote above is indicating. Something's not right about this study as you're describing it, I suspect.

I can't see any federal government agency hiring someone who fails a drug test, when they don't have to. "This applicant is breaking federal law. Let's hire him!" Yeah, sure. I also find the stats you cite from that "study" highly questionable.

Maybe you could provide a link to this "study" of postal workers?

And BTW, CJ, I worked for the USPS for a number of years. One more reason I highly doubt what you are saying, both about hiring people who test positive, and those inflated, over-the-top statistics re absenteeism, etc. I think, from my personal experience, that this study, which I urge you to provide a link or citation for, is being described by you inaccurately. To say the least. And before you ask, the USPS did not administer a drug test prior to hiring me. Had they done so, I would have tested positive for marijuana. And they would not have hired me at all. And I like to think, for the time involved, that I was a model employee.

"Consequently, someone who smokes marijuana daily may be functioning at a reduced intellectual level most or all of the time."

CJ, your's is nothing if not the voice of inexperience and misinformation, IMHO....

Last edited:
My real question here, and I am serious, because it jumped right off the page for me, is whether or not the USPS hires people who fail drug tests? An applicant for the USPS tests positive for marijuana, and then they hire him? Is this true? I find that hard to believe, but that seems to be what the last bit of "information" in the quote above is indicating. Something's not right about this study as you're describing it, I suspect.

I can't see any federal government agency hiring someone who fails a drug test, when they don't have to. "This applicant is breaking federal law. Let's hire him!" Yeah, sure. I also find the stats you cite from that "study" highly questionable.

Maybe you could provide a link to this "study" of postal workers?

And BTW, CJ, I worked for the USPS for a number of years. One more reason I highly doubt what you are saying, both about hiring people who test positive, and those inflated, over-the-top statistics re absenteeism, etc. I think, from my personal experience, that this study, which I urge you to provide a link or citation for, is being described by you inaccurately. To say the least. And before you ask, the USPS did not administer a drug test prior to hiring me. Had they done so, I would have tested positive for marijuana. And they would not have hired me at all. And I like to think, for the time involved, that I was a model employee.

"Consequently, someone who smokes marijuana daily may be functioning at a reduced intellectual level most or all of the time."

CJ, your's is nothing if not the voice of inexperience and misinformation, IMHO....

Pretty sure it was Nixon or Reagan who passed mandatory drug testing for federal job positions, not just too get hired, but yearly random drug test.

One of my family members uses medicinal marijuana for Huntington's Disease. It helps with his mood.
It has also helped me reduce use of opioids, which I have had to use for chronic pain. For me, personally, I would not say it actually reduces pain, but it makes pain more tolerable, if that makes sense.

In truth, I would never recommend to any young person that they make a habit out of it. I think it really can have an affect on ambition, for instance. But, I certainly never noticed any cognitive/intellectual erosion as a result of having used it for so long.

It must have health effects, if only because it's smoke. Whatever price I paid, well, so be it I would say. It did not stop me from having a "normal" life.

Its effect on your lungs depends on how you're ingesting it. Some well-studied people think that it may even have benefits to your lungs if vaporized and inhaled. This means that it's incorrect to say, in some facile way, that it's "the drug" that's harmful.

Also, your comments about ambition have everything to do with the culture in which the drug is consumed, and nothing to do with the drug itself. Marijuana makes many people more productive. But, it can certainly be used recreationally in order to relax and check out. Everybody needs a little of that, though, so it's wrong to call that unproductive in some straightforward way.

Heroin and opiates are pretty much the same thing. You'd probably have a harder time getting a pack of juicy fruit than a prescription for opiates, and you have to pay for the juicy fruit all by yourself.

I did not know this. So can you tell me why Europe prescribes heroin for hospice instead of morphine or other opioids?

Pretty sure it was Nixon or Reagan who passed mandatory drug testing for federal job positions, not just too get hired, but yearly random drug test.

I was hired on by the USPS when Reagan was in office, and worked there for several years. No testing at that time. I still have friends in the USPS. I know, at least as recently as half a dozen years ago, there was no random drug tests in the Post Office. Or, if there was, it was not a national policy for them. But I don't know if that holds true now where the hiring of new employees is concerned.

Its effect on your lungs depends on how you're ingesting it. Some well-studied people think that it may even have benefits to your lungs if vaporized and inhaled. This means that it's incorrect to say, in some facile way, that it's "the drug" that's harmful.

Also, your comments about ambition have everything to do with the culture in which the drug is consumed, and nothing to do with the drug itself. Marijuana makes many people more productive. But, it can certainly be used recreationally in order to relax and check out. Everybody needs a little of that, though, so it's wrong to call that unproductive in some straightforward way.

Yeah, forgot about vaporizers. I've always used a bowl, and I still can't roll one to save my life.

As far as my comments re ambition, I would just say "everything in moderation". Like many of us, I can think of people who destroyed their lives. It wasn't the drug as such, or any of the other drugs they consumed. People are responsible for their own choices. But I've seen friends and acquaintances take the wrong paths. Even suicide, but for the one case like that I know of, it was likely Vietnam and the inability to get over that war, as much as the decision to stay wasted every waking moment.

Yeah, forgot about vaporizers. I've always used a bowl, and I still can't roll one to save my life.

As far as my comments re ambition, I would just say "everything in moderation". Like many of us, I can think of people who destroyed their lives. It wasn't the drug as such, or any of the other drugs they consumed. People are responsible for their own choices. But I've seen friends and acquaintances take the wrong paths. Even suicide, but for the one case like that I know of, it was likely Vietnam and the inability to get over that war, as much as the decision to stay wasted every waking moment.

See, I disagree with the "moderation" comment mainly because it's a cliche that's used as an OUT, instead of a helpful comment in a real discussion. There's no evidence linking amount of consumption to ambition.

I think this is more personal. Weed kills my motivation to do anything. It becomes a struggle to even tidy up my bedroom. My cousin, on the other hand, just wants to do **** when he's high. It is why I no longer smoke with him.

For me, weed is great for thinking and sensual experiences (music, stand up comedy, good movies, sex, etc).

I think this is more personal. Weed kills my motivation to do anything. It becomes a struggle to even tidy up my bedroom. My cousin, on the other hand, just wants to do **** when he's high. It is why I no longer smoke with him.

For me, weed is great for thinking and sensual experiences (music, stand up comedy, good movies, sex, etc).

what strain of weed? The effects of sativa and indica can be very different.

If it's great for thinking and other sensual experiences, then how can it also "kill your motivation to do anything"? Those sound like things. Important things.

If we're going to start talking about weed's relationship to motivation, then the discussion has to include information like (a) strain, (b) method of ingestion, (c) AMOUNT of ingestion, and (d) what you happen to think counts as productive/motivational. Simple statements without this info just don't cut it.

I do agree, though, that there is a lot of variability from person to person.

This.

Two people can smoke the same stuff in the same amounts and have two completely different responses.

The only time I ever clean my apartment is when I'm stoned. Like even if I have no intention of cleaning, I'll get stoned and notice something is dirty/out of place/disorganized and I'll start cleaning. I'm not an OCD person when it comes to being neat and tidy, but it happens sometimes when I get high.

It kind of helps me focus on specific details if I'm motivated to do so.

I was hired on by the USPS when Reagan was in office, and worked there for several years. No testing at that time. I still have friends in the USPS. I know, at least as recently as half a dozen years ago, there was no random drug tests in the Post Office. Or, if there was, it was not a national policy for them. But I don't know if that holds true now where the hiring of new employees is concerned.

The State of Utah doesn't drug test either. I always thought that was odd given the character of the state. I don't partake in illicit drugs so it's not an issue for me.

what strain of weed? The effects of sativa and indica can be very different.

If it's great for thinking and other sensual experiences, then how can it also "kill your motivation to do anything"? Those sound like things. Important things.

This is the case with me regardless of strain or level of hybridization. I'm a sativa man all the way. I love the stronger head-high. Indica will make me more lazy, but both will kill my motivation to do things I typically do, and need to do, when sober.

I agree with the second statement. Motivation is a complicated issue with many facets. Weed makes me motivated to draw for example. Nonetheless, If I was to be high during my day-to-day life, It'd be a disaster. I would not be inclined to do a lot of things that need to be done, professionally and personally. But I still think weed is wonderful, and it will always have a place in my life. Others have different experiences, and I understand that. But 15 years of smoking has taught me what works and what doesn't for me.

Edit: As for intake method, I will usually smoke or vape. I have done edibles a few dozen times, and I enjoy the longer lasting effects. But eating it is my least favorite method because of the weaker head-high and the stronger body high compared to vaping the same strain.

Well ****, maybe I just completely imagined that law.

This is the case with me regardless of strain or level of hybridization. I'm a sativa man all the way. I love the stronger head-high. Indica will make me more lazy, but both will kill my motivation to do things I typically do, and need to do, when sober.

I agree with the second statement. Motivation is a complicated issue with many facets. Weed makes me motivated to draw for example. Nonetheless, If I was to be high during my day-to-day life, It'd be a disaster. I would not be inclined to do a lot of things that need to be done, professionally and personally. But I still think weed is wonderful, and it will always have a place in my life. Others have different experiences, and I understand that. But 15 years of smoking has taught me what works and what doesn't for me.

Edit: As for intake method, I will usually smoke or vape. I have done edibles a few dozen times, and I enjoy the longer lasting effects. But eating it is my least favorite method because of the weaker head-high and the stronger body high compared to vaping the same strain.

You dabbed yet?