What's new

Market value for Gobert will be set this summer by Hassan Whiteside

silesian

2022 Prediction Contest Winner
Those of you who claim that NBA GMs no longer value rim protecting and rebounding centers without 3 point range... well, your hypothesis is about to be tested.

Someone is going to pay beaucoup bucks for Hassan. And when they do, the floor of Rudy's market value is set.

Then we extend Rudy with a max this summer. If not, we match a max for him next summer. Book it.

Rudy's performance was clearly impacted by his injury. Despite this, he was 7th in DRPM with Centers, 3rd in BPG, 7th in RPG, first in rim protection FG%.

PS: I believe that whoever gets Whiteside (I believe it will be the Lakers), will have buyer's remorse. Whiteside wants the money and once he gets it, he will never match last year's performance. Or maybe that is wishful thinking. Whiteside talks a lot about "its a business" while Gobert sincerely is obsessed with improvement, winning and being the best at his position. And while Whiteside has better traditional defensive stats, Rudy has a full point better DRPM, better rim protection, better disciplined defense, better team defense, a much better teammate, etc, etc. Whiteside has a better offensive game and hopefully Rudy improves here.

Its the max you dunce.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Indeed, only a dunce would miss the fact that I said he is getting the max. Please stop being so hard on yourself, some of your posts are actually not that stupid.

I commend you on the correct usage AND spelling of this term. Well done.

Thanks. And here I thought the 2 years of high school french were all for naught. (oops, I shifted from French to Old english there with the "naught" thingy)

King Cy, you do realize that there are those on this site who have argued against giving Rudy the max because rim protectors are no longer valued by NBA GMs, all of whom only want stretch bigs. I point out that this hypothesis is about to be tested, what I believe the outcome will be, which seems to be exactly the same as your point of view. So what exactly is your beef? Or did you just completely miss the point?

Yep. He can do everything DJ can do, but can also provide some offense.

No way can Whiteside do everything DeAndre can do on defense. You can't just look at blocked shots to rate a defensive center. Sure Whiteside has the length, athleticism, and timing but he will often go for blocks at the detriment to actual defense. Whiteside also shows poor decision making further out on the perimeter, sagging off guards and tightly guarding bigs who can't shoot. The Heat's defense was actually worse with Whiteside on the court.

I'd rather have Gobert or DJ anchoring the defense, even with offensive inconsistencies.

No way can Whiteside do everything DeAndre can do on defense. You can't just look at blocked shots to rate a defensive center. Sure Whiteside has the length, athleticism, and timing but he will often go for blocks at the detriment to actual defense. Whiteside also shows poor decision making further out on the perimeter, sagging off guards and tightly guarding bigs who can't shoot. The Heat's defense was actually worse with Whiteside on the court.

I'd rather have Gobert or DJ anchoring the defense, even with offensive inconsistencies.
Lol. What are you talking about? And who is just looking at blocks?

Whiteside led the league in Defensive Rating. 5th in Defensive Win Shares, 7th in defensive box +/-. 7th in win shares per 48. There isn't a defensive measure out there where DJ is significantly better than Whiteside. Whiteside is going to go out and be respectable at the FT line.

Whiteside led the league in Defensive Rating

What metric? Just curious. Whiteside's DRPM was 18th in the league, DeAndre was 7th, Rudy 8th. They are all top echelon, not sure there is a statistical difference between the three.

King Cy, you do realize that there are those on this site who have argued against giving Rudy the max because rim protectors are no longer valued by NBA GMs, all of whom only want stretch bigs. I point out that this hypothesis is about to be tested, what I believe the outcome will be, which seems to be exactly the same as your point of view. So what exactly is your beef? Or did you just completely miss the point?

No beef, it's just a dumb thread. Both players are getting the max and I dont think there has been that many people talking out about that not happening.

Are there people saying we *shouldn't* do it? Maybe, but I think everyone here knows both players are getting maxed. There is no market value needed to be set by Whiteside when DeAndre Jordan did it last year (he got maxed). That is why I said dunce because you think the market value is up in the air over players like Gobert and Whiteside and that everyone is waiting to see what happens with Whiteside. It's not, it's the max. Jordan got the max and he has the biggest singular flaw of those 3 players.

Lol. What are you talking about? And who is just looking at blocks?

Whiteside led the league in Defensive Rating. 5th in Defensive Win Shares, 7th in defensive box +/-. 7th in win shares per 48. There isn't a defensive measure out there where DJ is significantly better than Whiteside. Whiteside is going to go out and be respectable at the FT line.

Defense is very tricky to quantify, Defensive Win Shares uses box score stats (like blocks) and is influenced heavily by team defense (Is Kevin Love a top 20 defender, is Lamarcus Aldridge a top 10?). Defensive Rating is the same way, more blocks, steals, defensive rebounds, the higher defensive rating. Of course all those stats are valuable but my point is Whiteside can actually be a detriment to Miami's fantastic defense by "chasing stats". This was more the case in 2014-15 as he improved in 15-16.

It's pretty obvious that those statistics are flawed when you see that Miami's defense was better when Whiteside was off the court.

If you can only max three players, I'd rather max Hayward, Favors and possibly Exum before Gobert.

You said the generic "defensive rating" of which there are many. Just asking which one you are referencing.
There is actually a specific stat called "Defensive Rating". Measures points allowed per 100 possessions. Look it up on basketball reference.