What's new

Matthews: No Hometeam Discount for Jazz

The Deseret News doesn't seem to think there would be any problem:

"It remains to be seen if the Jazz will attempt to agree on terms with Fesenko and/or Matthews shortly after the NBA's free-agency negotiating period opens at 10 p.m. (MT) Wednesday"

https://www.deseretnews.com/article...yrylo-Fesenko-get-qualifying-offers.html?pg=1

Isn't there a week or so, between the time FA opens, to the time teams can sign players from other teams? Maybe that is what the article was suggesting, that the Jazz could try to make a deal before a team could make an official offer.

Isn't there a week or so, between the time FA opens, to the time teams can sign players from other teams? Maybe that is what the article was suggesting, that the Jazz could try to make a deal before a team could make an official offer.

Ask Kenwood, he's the expert. But no, I don't think so.

The Jazz have allowed other teams to set his price, so I don't think there is a way to give a hometown discount. The only way would be to make him an offer before anyone else.

This is not a bad strategy for a couple of reasons.

1) It makes other teams really think twice before offering since a solid offer will surely be matched. They have to overpay to have a chance.
2) It makes other teams tie up their cap space while the Jazz take two weeks to match or not. Keeps them out of the market for other players.

The downside is that another team can make the Jazz overpay to keep him.

The Jazz have allowed other teams to set his price, so I don't think there is a way to give a hometown discount. The only way would be to make him an offer before anyone else.

This was my thinking... but I had wondered about the specifics when it comes to the rules of restricted free agency, and if it was even possible for the Jazz to try and negotiate once an offer sheet is received.

They probably have made him an offer (just like they must have with Millsap and Miles), but of course the offers would be conservative and I don't think there would be much incentive to sign without 'testing' the market... UNLESS a player isn't all about the money, and most of them are, especially these guys who are finally coming into large contracts, which is understandable to a point. I do get tired of references to the 'lower' NBA salaries (such as the league minimum) that make the wages sound as if they are at the poverty level or something. Even those not making millions are still making A LOT of money.

I don't think a player like Matthews could ask for a better position to be in than he has with the Jazz. He has earned the coach's respect and confidence and has locked up a starting spot on a contending team. He is not discrimated against because he's new, and has been (and will be) given every chance to improve and succeed.

Going to a team with bona fide superstars with coaches who demand that the whole offense revolve around those stars wouldn't seem to be too appealin. Some players would much rather be DA MAN on a losin team than to simply be an essential cog on a winnin team, but Matthews doesn't strike me as that type.

Seems there is a moratorium period in which teams may hold negotiations but cannot sign contracts....

https://www.nba.com/news/july_fa_moratorium.html

Good find. I guess ya knew ya heard sumthin sumwheres, eh? It doesn't sound like these restrictions would apply to Matthews (an RFA) though, and apparently he could sign a contract with the Jazz, or any other team, at any time.

"Limited exceptions to this rule apply to Rookie Scale contracts with first round draft picks, minimum contracts of one or two seasons (with draft picks and free agents) and Restricted Free Agents who may sign contracts."

mkbelle, the moratorium doesn't just apply to other team's free agents... you can't sign ANY players during the moratorium, with the exception of 1st round draft picks, minimum contracts, or guys accepting a tender offer.

the thing to consider, though, is that negotiations and verbal agreements can be done this week, and the CBA honors those. that's why you see reports of "signings" like joe johnson, darko, amir, etc.... these aren't actual signings yet, but they will be put on paper on july 8.

When I listened to Kirkland's interview, I think he could have asked that question about a Hometown discount better.

Kirkland first said "Is there a home team discount coming or does the offer trump everything else?" and Wesley said "Say that again." This is where I think Kirkland reworded the question poorly. Second try, "Is there a home team discount coming or is it just the best offer, whatever is best for you and your family what you are going to go with?" Then Wesley said "I got to go with the business decision. The best thing for the Jazz is they have the last take, the last hand to play"

Sure he's going with the business decision, but if the Jazz actually offered him 300k less than someone else, I think he would take it. But when you bring his family into it, of course he's going to do what's best for his family. Who wouldn't?

Anyway, the way the Jazz let the market determine their RFA's value, he could never give a home team discount because, from what I've seen, the Jazz make the QO and say, see what you can get and we'll let you know if we are going to match it. If no one makes you an offer, we'll talk.

So my question is this, and I think I know, but to be certain, If no one gives him a Signed Offer, the Jazz would then get to either sign him for one more year on the Cheap, whatever his QO is, or negotiate with him and sign a longer more lucrative deal?

I suspect if that happened and they just signed him for the QO, he would bail after this next year for sure, because the Jazz wouldn't be showing him any Love?

So my question is this, and I think I know, but to be certain, If no one gives him a Signed Offer, the Jazz would then get to either sign him for one more year on the Cheap, whatever his QO is, or negotiate with him and sign a longer more lucrative deal?

I think this has already been answered, if ya wanna scroll up. If ya don't, then just think about it. If the QO is simply a formality (unless the player accepts it) giving the Jazz the right to pay much more, how does it limit what the Jazz can offer to their own RFA?

I think this has already been answered, if ya wanna scroll up. If ya don't, then just think about it. If the QO is simply a formality (unless the player accepts it) giving the Jazz the right to pay much more, how does it limit what the Jazz can offer to their own RFA?

I thought I got it. Makes sense to me.

THX

My guess: Matthews will definitely stay with the Jazz. Of course he will be sent an offer sheet from another team, which the Jazz will match. Something like 4 years 16 million.

Some of the same people who claim Boozer is ALL about the money and expect him to sign for less than he's making now, yet have no problem with Matthews trying to get the best offer.

Here's one out of your book guys, ready?

MATTHEWS DOESN'T CARE ABOUT WINNING, JUST $$$$.

There's something seriously wrong with some Jazz fans.
Ha. Mathews actually plays defense which gets no stats. What was the last thing Boozer put real effort to do on the court that did not produce #'s?

Can't blame a guy for taking the best offer. But it is different than making your whole life and game about doing what will get you the most money and not what gets a team a win.

Bottom line Mathews tries at both ends and Boozer does what gets stats. I'd take Mathews over Boozer any day.

Ha. Mathews actually plays defense which gets no stats. What was the last thing Boozer put real effort to do on the court that did not produce #'s?

Can't blame a guy for taking the best offer. But it is different than making your whole life and game about doing what will get you the most money and not what gets a team a win.

Bottom line Mathews tries at both ends and Boozer does what gets stats. I'd take Mathews over Boozer any day.

You countered my post with something totally irrelevant. Nice job.

I could only imagine this board if BOOZER missed that tip in against the Lakers. Oh but Matthews missed it and everyone is like, "aww shucks, I love me some feel good storiez!!!!!!! too bad he missed!"

mkbelle, the moratorium doesn't just apply to other team's free agents... you can't sign ANY players during the moratorium, with the exception of 1st round draft picks, minimum contracts, or guys accepting a tender offer.

the thing to consider, though, is that negotiations and verbal agreements can be done this week, and the CBA honors those. that's why you see reports of "signings" like joe johnson, darko, amir, etc.... these aren't actual signings yet, but they will be put on paper on july 8.

Yeah, I kind of figured that out after I found the info in the link. Prior to that I just thought I'd heard something about official signings not being able to take place after July 7th.

Thanks!

When I listened to Kirkland's interview, I think he could have asked that question about a Hometown discount better.

Kirkland first said "Is there a home team discount coming or does the offer trump everything else?" and Wesley said "Say that again." This is where I think Kirkland reworded the question poorly. Second try, "Is there a home team discount coming or is it just the best offer, whatever is best for you and your family what you are going to go with?" Then Wesley said "I got to go with the business decision. The best thing for the Jazz is they have the last take, the last hand to play"

Sure he's going with the business decision, but if the Jazz actually offered him 300k less than someone else, I think he would take it. But when you bring his family into it, of course he's going to do what's best for his family. Who wouldn't?

Anyway, the way the Jazz let the market determine their RFA's value, he could never give a home team discount because, from what I've seen, the Jazz make the QO and say, see what you can get and we'll let you know if we are going to match it. If no one makes you an offer, we'll talk.

I suspect if that happened and they just signed him for the QO, he would bail after this next year for sure, because the Jazz wouldn't be showing him any Love?

I think if the Jazz had to audacity to offer him a measly 300k less than another teams offer instead of just matching it, he would feel a little disrespected. I mean, 300k? I know that a lot to you and I, but in the grand scheme of things, and considering how hard he played last season, it's kind of a punch in the junk.

You countered my post with something totally irrelevant. Nice job.

I could only imagine this board if BOOZER missed that tip in against the Lakers. Oh but Matthews missed it and everyone is like, "aww shucks, I love me some feel good storiez!!!!!!! too bad he missed!"

No I didn't. YOU compared Mathews admitting he would take the best offer, with Boozer. I countered your post with Boozer is all about the money at all costs and Mathews is going to take the most amount of money that is offered. There is a huge difference there. Basically I explained the flaw with your statement comparing Boozer to Mathews.

As to the last statement. When Mathews is making 12+M and not defending in the least then we will absolutely ride his *** as much as we do Boozer.