What's new

Matthews: No Hometeam Discount for Jazz

So are you "Mulletthegreat" who posted in the comments section:

If it came down to either keeping Boozer or Mathews, I would rather have Mathews. I think he's only going to continue to get better and better. It's hard to believe he was a rookie last year.

Jazz decided to forego any 'discount' on Mathews the day they traded away Brewer & made him the starter. Do you think the 3 million the jazz get from memphis in 4 years will be enough to cover Mathews extra salary?

He would be foolish to take a hometown discount as a 2nd year player. He needs to make his money while he can, so he should sign the best offer. He would have to be grossly overpaid for the Jazz to let him go anyways (starting salary above MLE)...

The guy isn't a team player if he isn't willing to sign for less money. When did the NBA become all about money????

Matthews would give the Jazz a hometown discount. If he wents to the Jazz and said: "I'm ready to accept a $4 million a year contract from Portland, will you match it?" and they said, "No, we aint gunna, but we'll give ya 3.9 million, how's that?," he would take the 3.9, I betcha.

Some of the same people who claim Boozer is ALL about the money and expect him to sign for less than he's making now, yet have no problem with Matthews trying to get the best offer.

Here's one out of your book guys, ready?

MATTHEWS DOESN'T CARE ABOUT WINNING, JUST $$$$.

There's something seriously wrong with some Jazz fans.

Matthews would give the Jazz a hometown discount. If he wents to the Jazz and said: "I'm ready to accept a $4 million a year contract from Portland, will you match it?" and they said, "No, we aint gunna, but we'll give ya 3.9 million, how's that?," he would take the 3.9, I betcha.

Hmmm... just curious, but isn't the time passed for this? I mean, is it true or no that the Jazz could have made an offer BEFORE the FA period started? Now that we are in the FA period, with Wes being a restricted free Agent, and the Jazz opting to let the market set his value, they either match an offer or no, right? If Wes signs an offer sheet, the Jazz can either match it or not... they can't really negotiate on it can they? Help?

I'm sure someone else can clarify this... but I think it is different from, for example, Korver's situation. Being an unrestricted FA, regardless of any offers he may get, I believe he can (and indicated that he would be willing to) accept less money to stay with the Jazz.

If Wes signs an offer sheet, the Jazz can either match it or not... they can't really negotiate on it can they? Help?

If he SIGNS it, right. But he don't hafta sign sumthin, just because it gits writ up proper and shoved in fronta him.

If he SIGNS it, right. But he don't hafta sign sumthin, just because it gits writ up proper and shoved in fronta him.

Well, this is what I'm unsure of. Of course he doesn't HAVE to sign anything... but with the Jazz electing to make a qualifying offer in order to make Wes a restricted FA, can they even make another offer to him, separate from matching an offer from another team? Or are we at a point where the Jazz's current 'offer' to him is the qualifying offer ($937,135).... until he signs an offer sheet from another team, which the Jazz can choose to match, or not? Can the Jazz even negotiate with him at this point?

Last edited:
The headline a newspaper editor gives a story (such as "No hometown discount for Jazz") aint the story its own damn self, ya know?

Matthews' Pappy done said this here:

"There's no question his loyalty is to the Jazz,'' Matthews Sr. said. "They gave him a chance. But it has to be a fair, market-value deal.'' He's just sayin his boy aint Santa Claus, but is lookin for a "fair deal." https://nba.fanhouse.com/2010/07/02/a-year-after-being-undrafted-wesley-matthews-set-to-cash-in/

Even in the article cited by the OP, Matthews merely says: "MATTHEWS: I got to go with the business decision."

A "business decision" might be contrasted with an emotional, "non-business" decision. There are many things, other than the very last dollar, to consider when making a "business decision."

Hell, Matthews might even be willing to take less, just to get the hell out of Utah, who knows? (although he really doesn't have the final say on that).

Can the Jazz even negotiate with him at this point?

Well, I don't know why not, but I spoze there could be some league restrictions (up to a certain date) on it.

There seems to be some confusion about the effect of a "qualifiying offer." That simply preserves the right to match what another team offers. But what if there are no offers, and Matthews tells the Jazz "Either give me $3 million/year, or else I goin to Europe?" I have little doubt the Jazz would be entirely free to pay the $3 million, the QO notwithstanding.

Of course Matthews "could" just accept the QO and end it right there, but he aint gunna, and would be stupid to do so. The point is that Matthews doesn't "have" to wait for other teams to make offers.

Last edited:
The headline a newspaper editor gives a story (such as "No hometown discount for Jazz") aint the story its own damn self, ya know?

Matthews' Pappy done said this here:

"There's no question his loyalty is to the Jazz,'' Matthews Sr. said. "They gave him a chance. But it has to be a fair, market-value deal.'' He's just sayin his boy aint Santa Claus, but is lookin for a "fair deal." https://nba.fanhouse.com/2010/07/02/a-year-after-being-undrafted-wesley-matthews-set-to-cash-in/

Even in the article cited by the OP, Matthews merely says: "MATTHEWS: I got to go with the business decision."

A "business decision" might be contrasted with an emotional, "non-business" decision. There are many things, other than the very last dollar, to consider when making a "business decision."

Hell, Matthews might even be willing to take less, just to get the hell out of Utah, who knows? (although he really doesn't have the final say on that).

Well, this is all fine and good... but doesn't answer my question. My question is if the whole idea of a 'home town discount' is a moot point now. My question is if the Jazz can even negotiate with Wes at this point, or if their qualifying offer stands unless/until he signs an offer sheet that they either match, or not?

Even if he wanted to, can Matthews go the Jazz and say 'hey, I have an offer sheet from Portland for 3 years/$18 million that I'm considering, but I'm willing to NOT sign the offer sheet, if you can make me an offer that is reasonably close to that'?? Then.... without Wes signing an offer sheet, if the Jazz wanted to, could they in fact go ahead an make a deal with him? For some reason, I don't think so... seems like their 'qualifying' offer stands as their offer unless they have an offer sheet to match (or not). I'm not sure of the rules though... that's what I'm asking about.

Yes, the Jazz can negotiate with him at this point, despite the QO. In fact, based on what we heard on July 1, they already have made contact with him or his agent. Whether negotiations have actually occurred or an official offer has been made, that's a different question. This whole market is a bit stagnant waiting to see what LeBron will do.

From the Jazz' perspective, it is in their best interest to sign him quickly so they don't get hit with a Portland-Millsap type offer again. But at the same time, they probably want to judge the market before making that offer so they don't overpay.

On the other hand, Matthews probably wants to sign quickly, but doesn't want to be underpaid, so he wants to make sure he hears back from any team that has shown interest. He'd hate to sign at $3M with a team right off the bat and later find out that someone else might have paid him $5M when they missed out on other players they were targeting.

Yes, the Jazz can negotiate with him at this point, despite the QO. In fact, based on what we heard on July 1, they already have made contact with him or his agent. Whether negotiations have actually occurred or an official offer has been made, that's a different question. This whole market is a bit stagnant waiting to see what LeBron will do.

From the Jazz' perspective, it is in their best interest to sign him quickly so they don't get hit with a Portland-Millsap type offer again. But at the same time, they probably want to judge the market before making that offer so they don't overpay.

On the other hand, Matthews probably wants to sign quickly, but doesn't want to be underpaid, so he wants to make sure he hears back from any team that has shown interest. He'd hate to sign at $3M with a team right off the bat and later find out that someone else might have paid him $5M when they missed out on other players they were targeting.

Well, I guess that answers my question. Matthews can wait to see what type of offers he gets, and then (if he wants) still negotiate something with the Jazz. Seems kind of strange though... I don't remember much talk of negotiating when Miles and Millsap signed their offer sheets. I do remember talk from the Jazz FO about letting the market determine their 'value'... then getting hit with the offer sheets. So I suppose they got offers they liked, and rather than try to negotiate with the Jazz, opted to just sign the offer sheets and leave it up to the Jazz whether or not to match.... meaning, they just went for the most money they thought they could get. I predict Matthews will do the same.

So I suppose they got offers they liked, and rather than try to negotiate with the Jazz, opted to just sign the offer sheets and leave it up to the Jazz whether or not to match.... meaning, they just went for the most money they thought they could get. I predict Matthews will do the same.

My guess would be that the Jazz low-balled them so bad that they took much betters offers, perfectly satisfied whether the Jazz matched, or not.