What's new

Memo traded to NJ

Howard has a career .336 3 point percentage. Shot over 40 once. He's not shooting over 40. Maybe Sap can, but he only took 27 3's last season. I don't see him transforming into a long range gunner.

The reality is CJ should be a much better distance shooter than he is. He's the X factor. But my personal take is if we become a better driving team (which suits the guys we have) we'll get a lot more clean shots from the arc which will raise everyone's averages.

This is where using this cap space and trade exception for Wes Matthews comes in.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

This is where using this cap space and trade exception for Wes Matthews comes in.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

A) We're not getting Wes back; B) the love affair with Wes is out of control. In the grand scheme of 2 guards, Wes isn't that good. He's solid, not an all star, and not anybody's ideal starter at the position.

A) We're not getting Wes back; B) the love affair with Wes is out of control. In the grand scheme of 2 guards, Wes isn't that good. He's solid, not an all star, and not anybody's ideal starter at the position.

A) You never say never; B) Yes, many like Matthews and nobody ever said he was an all-star. Just like you said.... he's solid, and definitely a starter for the rebuilding Jazz.

A) You never say never; B) Yes, many like Matthews and nobody ever said he was an all-star. Just like you said.... he's solid, and definitely a starter for the rebuilding Jazz.

Let's be real about Wes. Defensively, he's an energy guy. But he's easily overmatched (see Dallas, playoffs, last year), and never played great team D. That said, he's very good against a lot of guys during the regular season haul. Offensively, he can score. But he can't pass or rebound, and even though he's pretty successful on his bull drives, he never passes out of them.

On Portland, Wes will start. But he's a 20-25 minute a game player on talent. He's not going to get better. He's a very limited athlete by NBA standards. I would love to have him back, but only if he was going to play a reserve role. Burks may never be as good as Wes, but Burks at least has the potential to be a very good NBA starter. Wes will never be a very good NBA starter.

Let's be real about Wes. Defensively, he's an energy guy. But he's easily overmatched (see Dallas, playoffs, last year), and never played great team D. That said, he's very good against a lot of guys during the regular season haul. Offensively, he can score. But he can't pass or rebound, and even though he's pretty successful on his bull drives, he never passes out of them.

On Portland, Wes will start. But he's a 20-25 minute a game player on talent. He's not going to get better. He's a very limited athlete by NBA standards. I would love to have him back, but only if he was going to play a reserve role. Burks may never be as good as Wes, but Burks at least has the potential to be a very good NBA starter. Wes will never be a very good NBA starter.

I just don't understand where your coming from when you say " Burks may never be as good as Wes, but Burks at least has the potential to be a very good NBA starter.".
Contradictory??

You realize that Harris, Bell + Burks would still have to beat people from the outside with our current lineup, right?

Once again, it ain't going to happen
You forgot Hayward who shot 49%/47% and THREE additional assets that could be used to upgrade the wing and PG spots (Jefferson, the GS pick and the Okur trade exception). I guess in the hypothetical trade for Howard, you'd also need to trade Millsap to get a shooter.

You wanted to dump Al to get more minutes for Kanter, but dumping Memo makes no sense?

Memo would come off the bench get 15 mins at most per game, Jefferson is the main guy taking 30 mpg most probably and his presence will slow down the development of Kanter and Favors in my opinion.

So having a shot at another Sap or Jeremy is bad? And the trade exception gives us all kinds of options both in terms of players, taking on an expiring for a first round pick, etc. This was not cheap as you call it.

Right now it is cheap, we will see how they will use the trade exception and whether convert it to a better asset

Why no comments from Memo so far?
I imagine he is crushed and doesn't want to talk about it. I remember his saying that he wanted to retire in Utah. Not his only consolation is that he has several former teammates on his new team. Well, that's how it goes.

Having a former all star on the team kind of obligates the Jazz to play him, and that would definitely limit Favors and Kanters Minutes. Without Memo, and with Millsap playing some 3, time can be measured out almost evenly and fairly between everyone, especially this year with the compacted season.

If that's the case then it's hard to fault the trade, especially since it also freed up cap room. The move Favors plays the better.

I just listened to O'Connors interview on 1320, https://1320kfan.com/index.php/audi..._notes_on_kevin_oconnor_addressing_memo_trade

Good stuff. He basically said that the reason they moved Memo was to free up time for Favors.

For me, this sentiment is somewhat sad. He's essentially saying that Memo would have been either starting over Favors or eating up some of Favors' time at some point while, from the little we saw, it appears that Favors, not Memo, deserves all the minutes your typical starter gets. Somewhere in that 30-37 minute range. It makes me wonder if this a very indirect way of stating Corbin may have a habit and go all Sloan and play the vets for the simple reason they're vets? Considering Bell's still here, let's hope not.

For me, this sentiment is somewhat sad. He's essentially saying that Memo would have been either starting over Favors or eating up some of Favors' time at some point while, from the little we saw, it appears that Favors, not Memo, deserves all the minutes your typical starter gets. Somewhere in that 30-37 minute range. It makes me wonder if this a very indirect way of stating Corbin may have a habit and go all Sloan and play the vets for the simple reason they're vets? Considering Bell's still here, let's hope not.

I don't think it means that at all. Memo was making 11 million this year. When you have a player making that kind of money, you either find minutes for them, or try to get some trade value. I also wouldn't read too much into that explanation. Saying they were freeing up minutes for Favors goes over better with the fans than saying we're freeing up minutes for Kanter, as that might come off like they were looking past this year. I think Favors was going to get his minutes either way, and Kanter would have been the one getting very few minutes.

Part of KOC's job is schmoozing the fans and keeping them happy. The last thing they want to hear during a rebuilding year is the truth.

Last edited:
But a starter who's way overpaid. I like Matthews. But Burks has much more upside. I'd rather just see the Jazz give Alec and Gordon 25-30 mins this season and let them develop.

What I do like about trading Memo now, is that KOC has essentially three windows to use the TPE.

1) It can be an asset this season for a team looking to dump salary, either to lessen a tax hit or to begin a rebuilding process once a team's playoff hopes are dashed.

2) It can be used in combination with trading draft picks, just like the Jazz did in acquiring Jefferson.

3) The exception stretches 3 months into next season. So perhaps the Jazz might be brought in as a 3rd team involved to facilitate a major deal (such as Howard). KOC can provide salary relief for a team in exchange for a solid vet and draft picks.