What's new

Mike Conley Contingency Plan

Elizah Huge

Respect All, Fear None
Contributor
2024 Award Winner
Let me preface this by saying it would be best for us if Conley re-signs here. I don’t think anyone disagrees with that. With that being said there is a legitimate chance that he leaves and signs somewhere else.

Right now if we picked up Oni’s team option we would be sitting at exactly 132,180,367M worth of guaranteed salary with 11 players.

The estimated luxury tax cap is estimated to be around 136.6M. The apron is exactly 4M over the luxury tax cap which would be 140.6M.

Now, if we take a player back in a sign and trade we can’t go over that number.

If we merely traded Favors/1st we could take back around 14.5M worth of salary while filling out the roster with 2 minimum contracts.

Now if you add Clarkson to the Favors/1st package we could take back around 25.2M worth of salary while filling out the roster with 3 minimum contracts.

If you add Bogdanovic instead of Clarkson the number we could take back is around 31.5M.

A Bogdanovic/Clarkson/1st package could allow us to take back up to around 34.2M back.

These numbers are purely for sign and trade options. If it is a straight across normal trade you would have to cut 4M from the salary coming back from each option.

Let me also preface below that any of these players would have to force their way to Utah and the other team would have to accept our trade back.

Here are some scenarios that would work. I am interested in hearing what would be everyone’s favorite from these options.

Clarkson/Favors/1st for Lonzo

Clarkson/Favors/1st for Lowry

Bogdanovic/Favors/1st for DeRozan

If there are other possibilities out there you can think of feel free to throw them out there for us to discuss. I am merely just discussing options that would work. Please don’t yell at me saying someone sucks or they wouldn’t fit in here.

I’m not crazy for any of those trades for us. Lonzo is my favorite. I think I am done with the concept of giving up draft assets for aging vets. Lowry and DeRozan do nothing for me.

So we lose Conley and then try to deal Favors/30 for cap relief. Then we use the MLE and that is our off-season.

So we lose Conley and then try to deal Favors/30 for cap relief. Then we use the MLE and that is our off-season.
Conley leaving for nothing would not be a good thing.

I guess I don’t hate the DeRozan deal either. In that scenario, I assume Don becomes the starting PG, and we sign a backup PG with vet min?

I kinda hate the Lowry deal. Isn’t he gonna be 36 next year?

I don't think you could get either of those deals done, but I'd definitely be up for the Ball trade. I'd actually prefer that to a Conley return but a Conley return is what I'm essentially hoping for because I don't think we replace the value if he leaves. Ball would be my pipe dream, though. Somehow LaVar would look a lot cooler when he's your ******* and not someone else's.

I don't think you could get either of those deals done, but I'd definitely be up for the Ball trade. I'd actually prefer that to a Conley return but a Conley return is what I'm essentially hoping for because I don't think we replace the value if he leaves. Ball would be my pipe dream, though. Somehow LaVar would look a lot cooler when he's your ******* and not someone else's.

I tend to agree. I think DeRozan is interesting though.

Conley leaving for nothing would not be a good thing.

I guess I don’t hate the DeRozan deal either. In that scenario, I assume Don becomes the starting PG, and we sign a backup PG with vet min?

I kinda hate the Lowry deal. Isn’t he gonna be 36 next year?

Yeah, Donovan would be the PG. Unless we moved Clarkson for a starting PG.

If Conley leaves (sad day), I'd rather the Jazz try to duck back under the luxury tax, we certainly can't afford to be over it long-term.

Smart is a guy I'd really like to pair with Don in the backcourt, though not sure what a good deal there would be.

Anderson is my dream guy at the 4.

All of Clarkson/Bojan/Favors/#30/young guys would be on the table.

Don/Gobert are the core and I don't think we could get good/equal value for Ingles/Royce.

I'm not a fan of trading for DeRozan or Lowry (he's an UFA anyway though right?)

Lonzo Ball is extremely hard to pull off, but maybe it's possible. Would cost us 2 of Conley, Clarkson and Bojan, but I would still probably do it.

If Conley leaves (sad day), I'd rather the Jazz try to duck back under the luxury tax, we certainly can't afford to be over it long-term.

Smart is a guy I'd really like to pair with Don in the backcourt, though not sure what a good deal there would be.

Don/Gobert are the core and I don't think we could get good/equal value for Ingles/Royce.

Any of those deals you could maneuver and get under the luxury tax cap.

If Conley leaves, and we can't get a quality PG through a trade, trading Rudy in October has to be on the table. His value is at an all time high, and a deal to the right team could skirt us under the tax.

Without a quality PG feeding Rudy, he's going to get less touches which is going to lead to less production maybe on both ends. Don will become a better facilitator with time, but he's never going to be a true PG I don't think.

If Conley leaves, and we can't get a quality PG through a trade, trading Rudy in October has to be on the table. His value is at an all time high, and a deal to the right team could skirt us under the tax.

Without a quality PG feeding Rudy, he's going to get less touches which is going to lead to less production maybe on both ends. Don will become a better facilitator with time, but he's never going to be a true PG I don't think.

We can be under the tax without trading Rudy if Conley leaves.

Maybe Ainge can get us Smart.

If we traded Clarkson/Favors/1st for Lonzo he could make up to 21.2M and we’d still be right under the luxury tax.

Any of those deals you could maneuver and get under the luxury tax cap.

Depending on what guys sign at yes, but my issue with those S&T deals is they're usually 2 or 3 for 1 type of deals. Limiting our depth doesn't seem like a good idea with Conley walking. It'll leave us as a 6 man team.

Lonzo is also the only one I particularly like as a player (at this point, Lowry used to be great).

We can be under the tax without trading Rudy if Conley leaves.
I understand. My point is that Rudy has less value if he doesn't play with a good PG. So let's trade Rudy while he has his most value and we are about to hurt his value because we would have poor PG play.

It would be like a football team trading a ProBowl RB when they know they have to rebuild the offensive line.

Depending on what guys sign at yes, but my issue with those S&T deals is they're usually 2 or 3 for 1 type of deals. Limiting our depth doesn't seem like a good idea with Conley walking. It'll leave us as a 6 man team.

Lonzo is also the only one I particularly like as a player (at this point, Lowry used to be great).

Well yeah we’d be losing Clarkson while having Udoka replace Favors.

I would love Lonzo but don't know why Pels would get rid of him
Lonzo to Zion is modern day Stockton to Malone
Zion needs a PG like Lonzo to get him the ball

Well yeah we’d be losing Clarkson while having Udoka replace Favors.

Ball
Mitchell
Bojan/Ingles
Royce
Gobert/Udoka

Like I said, he's my favorite of your listed guys, but I don't find him particularly intriguing, and if we do move for him I think it's got to be a Bojan trade while looking for a real 4 elsewhere (likely Favors again as matching, maybe it's all 1 deal as a 3-teamer).

To the go get Lonzo crowd.... apparently all the Pelicans want him back including the most important Pelican... Zion. He is restricted so they can match whatever he gets. Please tell me why he forces his way here for anything other than a contract so big that they wouldn't want him? Please tell me why they let him walk when their most important player want him and they have the ability to match any offer he gets. Lonzo to Utah has about as much chance as when we used to dream of our cap space being used on Klay Thompson... ain't happening.

I hate to bring this guy up yet again... because that means we won't get him... but Delon Wright checks a lot of the boxes you'd want to check with Lonzo. Definitely not on his level passing wise. Defense and size he's every bit of Lonzo. I get that we see some amazing potential in Lonzo... but he's likely not gonna be much better than he currently is... Give me budget Lonzo because the premium to get the real Lonzo is like an extra $15M a year plus players and assets. If Mike comes back Delon can still get a ton of PT... he fits around all of our backcourt guys and you could easily play him with two of JC, Mike, DM in most scenarios. He's got good enough length and defensive versatility.