What's new

Millsap for Granger?

not sure why the trade checker says that millsap for granger works straight up, but it doesn't. millsap's cap number is 7.6.

(125% x 7.6M) + 100K < Granger's 10.97M

If Paul George is really a Danny Granger clone, the Jazz should have just drafted him. George is a talent, but it's not clear that he's got the same toughness and play-making ability as Granger.

Granger's a near perfect fit in our offense. Already signed at a reasonable deal through his prime. Great attitude, too. But Indy would never accept just Sap for him. Maybe Sap and Miles, but I doubt they'd do that, either. A Granger deal would look something like Favors and Harris for him. That's too steep for Jersey, but that format--young solid already signed to acceptable deal at position of need + high upside young guy/high draft pick--would probably convince them to part with him.

It's hypotheticals like these that really bring to surface how out of touch some of us are with reality. "We're looking for a big" as if our illustrious 5 that will get 10-15 mpg trumps any kind of upgrade at any other position. If people wouldn't deal Millsap and Kirilenko for Murphy and Granger then we're off our rocker's. Both of those are upgrades and the only reason anyone would say they're not is because we compare our player + their hypothetical ceiling against their player + whatever knock they have. We fail to acknowledge that if player X was on our team we'd find and drool over all of their hypotheticals. Case in point: Al Jefferson. How often did you hear how his D is worse than Boozer's (which is the same statement previously made about any other 4 who has a shred of offensive ability)? Now we've all, rightfully so, forgotten about those things and seriously considered him in our lineup.

If we traded Millsap and Kirilenko for Murphy and Granger that would put us in the top four in the league. I don't think people realize how big of a deal that would be because we're sentimental with and attached to Millsap and Andrei. Murphy is a young Memo with much superior rebounding ability (i.e. he'd be, at worst, a wash in comparison to Millsap, but his game compliments Jefferson's much more) and there's no comparison between Granger and Andrei.

A 2 guard rotation of Bell and Hayword is definitely upgradable. It's not even as good as a Korver Matthews rotation. Now I wouldn't go sign another marginal SG to try to upgrade the position, nor would I try to trade for a guy who scores 12 ppg, but that certainly doesn't mean we turn our noses at landing guys who can score 20+ simply because it's the "wrong position" and they're not a 7'1" backup that gives us a solid 12 mpg.

Last edited:
I think the part of this thread that shows how out of touch Jazz fans are with reality was the part where anyone thought it was remotely possible that Indiana would do this deal. Mystifying. Danny Granger isn't even on the trade block. There are no "rumors" about Danny Granger being traded. None. There have been trade offers for Danny Granger, which Larry Bird shot down, saying (quite correctly) that Granger is one of the best players in the league, and that it would take a lot to get him. Both of the known trade offers for Danny Granger that occurred in the past season (Al Jefferson, Devin Harris and change), were far better offers than Paul Millsap.

This is also something like the fourth "let's trade for Danny Granger!" thread we've had in the past couple of weeks. In principle: yeah, let's go get him. He's a great player and would be terrific on the Jazz. In reality: Nobody on our roster, other than Deron, gets that deal done.

The idea of Indiana throwing in Hibbert, their second best player, and another guy they consider to be a cornerstone of their future, is just.... utterly silly.

Please stop making Danny Granger trade threads. It ain't happening.