What's new

Mitchell Will be Traded Today (9/1/22)

That's why you open it up for everybody to bid. You do NOT need to send him to Miami or NY. You really do NOT! Lets see what the Kings are willing to offer. Lets see if OKC wants in on the fun? What about NOP? There are tons of teams who will be willing to give you kings' ransom for Mitchell. He is still a very very valuable asset. And you know how Ainge is dealing... he will squeeze every ounce of value out of such a trade.
This is where I'm at. I'm increasingly pessimistic about us being the team to facilitate a KD trade, using Michell as a major chip. I find myself less enamored with the potential return in that scenario as well. It's tough to gauge without knowing exactly what Mitchell is saying to the Jazz or what offers are out there. But if we need to start the season with him, I'm fine with that. I don't think his value will change a whole lot. And just because I don't think it will be a better team, doesn't mean I'm not still curious about a Mitchell, but no Gobert, led team.

Tony Jones (who is definitely not my favorite guy on the Jazz beat) said something like "He knows he hasn't given everything to this team yet, and maybe doesn't want to force a move until he can tell himself he gave his all for the Jazz and is convinced it won't work." That sounds super corny, and probably isn't true. But I would love to see a fully engaged Mitchell playing for the Jazz next year. To whatever end that leads us.

Sorry I wasn't completely clear... any Don deal will be tied to the KD deal... either directly as in he is part of the deal or the teams that lose out will then pivot to the Don deal... kinda how D Will was tied to the Melo deal.

Brooklyn case is really unique here. Most of the time you want all those picks... I think they want picks but prefer good young players... Maybe they can't get Don because of Ben... but they Might give up a couple of the picks they take from Phoenix for Herro and we slide into the trade that way... they end up with a couple picks, Bridges, Johnson, Ayton (or whatever assets Phoenix gets for him), Herro. I think a team with Ben (if he plays), Herro, Bridges, Johnson, Ayton and whatever they can get for Kyrie is okay to start building off.

The issue they have is no one team has all the stuff they want... well how are they going to get it when KD can only go to one team? Unless Phoenix can piece off Ayton and Bridges (who is someone Brooklyn should really want) for something more meaningful they won't do better than 4 firsts (and swaps), Ayton, Bridges, Johnson anywhere else imo. Our direct involvement would be something with Herro or if they moved Ben separately and gave us the firsts for Donovan... I could see Don, Bridges, Ayton being more appealing than Bridges, Ayton and a pile of picks. The tank/rebuild route doesn't work for them at all because they don't own their own draft picks.
So what do we get in this case? PHX picks? With CP3 and KD aging... this might actually be a good deal if we get picks far enough in the future(like similar to the Gobert trade)

The reason I think Mitchell does NOT get moved in a KD deal is because those type of complicated deals are usually done so the team selling the highest asset(KD) will steal some long-term value(picks) from the team that is selling the second most valuable asset(In this case - Mitchell) in favor of some win now pieces for the second team. If we are trading Mitchell IMO it's much better for us to deal directly with whatever team wants him and get everything we want and more. We don't need to lock ourselves into one of those deals where we have to satisfy not one but several teams and where we are competing with another team for the best long-term pieces in that trade.

If we want to trade Mitchell... just open it up for bidding and lets see where that gets us.
I agree somewhat. The real reason these guys seem to get to go where they want is that the teams they will be happy with are the ones that will offer the most. Kings for example won't want to get him if he will be unhappy and his team will communicate that. We should open up the bidding of course and see what happens... but that might turn to be less fruitful.

The extra premium we get by doing a deal now is all the **** we can get selling off Bogey, Mike, Bev, JC if we aren't focused on win now stuff. That stuff may not be there and if the offers for Donovan are meh then you might wait it out. The other premium is moving up in the 2023 draft from like 10-17th to top 5.. which is a big jump.

The Miami package is meh unless we find a team that wants to give good draft assets for Herro or unless he will extend at say 20-24M a year. He could have a jump in production.

This is where I'm at. I'm increasingly pessimistic about us being the team to facilitate a KD trade, using Michell as a major chip. I find myself less enamored with the potential return in that scenario as well. It's tough to gauge without knowing exactly what Mitchell is saying to the Jazz or what offers are out there. But if we need to start the season with him, I'm fine with that. I don't think his value will change a whole lot. And just because I don't think it will be a better team, doesn't mean I'm not still curious about a Mitchell, but no Gobert, led team.

Tony Jones (who is definitely not my favorite guy on the Jazz beat) said something like "He knows he hasn't given everything to this team yet, and maybe doesn't want to force a move until he can tell himself he gave his all for the Jazz and is convinced it won't work." That sounds super corny, and probably isn't true. But I would love to see a fully engaged Mitchell playing for the Jazz next year. To whatever end that leads us.

I have a different reaction to the TJ quote. If he really "hasn't given everything to this team" yet, that's ********. He's a max player making $40m per or whatever it is (I don't actually know) and was on a team in the top half of the WC standings. Not giving everything to the team would be flat out inexcusable.

So what do we get in this case? PHX picks? With CP3 and KD aging... this might actually be a good deal if we get picks far enough in the future(like similar to the Gobert trade)

Bridges and Phoenix picks but is Brooklyn fine with just a Durant/Mitchell swap?

I agree somewhat. The real reason these guys seem to get to go where they want is that the teams they will be happy with are the ones that will offer the most. Kings for example won't want to get him if he will be unhappy and his team will communicate that. We should open up the bidding of course and see what happens... but that might turn to be less fruitful.

The extra premium we get by doing a deal now is all the **** we can get selling off Bogey, Mike, Bev, JC if we aren't focused on win now stuff. That stuff may not be there and if the offers for Donovan are meh then you might wait it out. The other premium is moving up in the 2023 draft from like 10-17th to top 5.. which is a big jump.

The Miami package is meh unless we find a team that wants to give good draft assets for Herro or unless he will extend at say 20-24M a year. He could have a jump in production.
I don't like Herro as the main piece of such a trade for a rebuilding team.

I would want those Phoenix picks in a bad way. If we sent Donovan I think you could get them. I am anti Simmons but if you did Simmons and all the Phoenix picks and swaps for Don I'd really consider that.

If we did the three teamer where we sent Don to Miami.. we could route Herro/Strus to Nets for like the 27 and 29 Phoenix picks... so they keep a couple of those picks.

Bridges and Phoenix picks but is Brooklyn fine with just a Durant/Mitchell swap?
IMO they are not. In essence wha tthey want is... Mitchell + 4 picks and 3 swaps ... or... Mitchell+Bridges+2 picks +2 swaps....

NY is the only team that seems to make sense to me. We get valuable picks (unlike Phoenix or Miami or Toronto), and we would get a couple young players who would be fun to watch develop.

If he wants to go, send him out. Big if...

I would want those Phoenix picks in a bad way. If we sent Donovan I think you could get them. I am anti Simmons but if you did Simmons and all the Phoenix picks and swaps for Don I'd really consider that.

If we did the three teamer where we sent Don to Miami.. we could route Herro/Strus to Nets for like the 27 and 29 Phoenix picks... so they keep a couple of those picks.

I would die a little, from all the dehydration due to all the puking, if i had to watch simmons in a jazz uniform.

Sent from my iPad using JazzFanz mobile app

Unless the end of the moratorium tomorrow somehow breaks the current log jam (and I'm increasingly pessimistic about this), I think we're in for a long, frustrating wait. I don't see the combination of things available that would make every team (or even enough teams) happy enough for a major trade (with KD or Donovan or both) to take place.

Could the Knicks break down and give us the bank for Donovan? Sure, I guess. But not likely.

NY is the only team that seems to make sense to me. We get valuable picks (unlike Phoenix or Miami or Toronto), and we would get a couple young players who would be fun to watch develop.

If he wants to go, send him out. Big if...
Those Phoenix picks in 25/27/29 will get juicy. CP and KD are old and if they unload their young guys it will be Booker and who else? Terrible owner... those picks will be much better than perceived.

Those Phoenix picks in 25/27/29 will get juicy. CP and KD are old and if they unload their young guys it will be Booker and who else? Terrible owner... those picks will be much better than perceived.
Very possible. I guess I have zero faith that we would get those picks in the deal. Brooklyn would probably get the best ones. We would probably get one of those and 2023.

Yes, I understand your Miami trade thought process if Brooklyn was fine trading us those picks for Herro. I think you’d have to know that before hand though.

Yes, I understand your Miami trade thought process if Brooklyn was fine trading us those picks for Herro. I think you’d have to know that before hand though.
It would all be part of one deal. We can also provide some help with salary and give Brooklyn Mike if they want him... the Kyrie deal will involve at least 3 teams... KD may involve more.