What's new

Modz please Ban UGLI Baby

They didn't sell sterile seeds you dumbass.

True they haven't... They have created them but said they wouldn't sell them... But they do make buyers sign contracts stating they can't collect and use the seed from their crops and have sued many farmers for doing so!!

Last edited:
They didn't sell sterile seeds you dumbass.

Who gives a damn if they did? I don't think those polyploidy strawberries are going to be reproducing anytime soon. I like big ol juicy strawberries not those home grown dinks that take ten for a mouthful.

True they haven't... They have created them but said they wouldn't sell them... But they do make buyers sign contracts stating they can't collect and use the seed from their crops and have sued many farmers for doing so!!

This is just them making the most money out of their product. With other seeds, if we have a grain cleaner, we can take what we harvest, run it through the cleaner and plant it again the next year and keep on doing that for as long as we grow that variety. By doing that, the seed companies get no royalty money off of us using their seeds. So while it will cost us more money to buy/use their seed, I can completely understand why they're doing that.

This is just them making the most money out of their product. With other seeds, if we have a grain cleaner, we can take what we harvest, run it through the cleaner and plant it again the next year and keep on doing that for as long as we grow that variety. By doing that, the seed companies get no royalty money off of us using their seeds. So while it will cost us more money to buy/use their seed, I can completely understand why they're doing that.

Why I understand that, this whole contract thing is new to the seed business!! For decades farms could buy seed and collect seed from the crop if they desired and replant the next generation of crop... Now Monsanto since they've patented their GMO's are cornering the Market with these contracts and forcing out other seed companies, good business strategy hell yes.... But they are turning into a huge monopoly and in the long run that is never good!!

Just because you can make money off of something, doesn't make it right.

If they don't make a profit, then they go out of business, costing thousands upon thousands of people a job.

With the amount of research and time that they put into their craft, I say they deserve the right to make money.

Welcome to Capitalism Sandy, it's a beautiful thing.

Why I understand that, this whole contract thing is new to the seed business!! For decades farms could buy seed and collect seed from the crop if they desired and replant the next generation of crop... Now Monsanto since they've patented their GMO's are cornering the Market with these contracts and forcing out other seed companies, good business strategy hell yes.... But they are turning into a huge monopoly and in the long run that is never good!!

Yes, this is very new. Doesn't mean that it's bad though. That's why you'll probably see more farms that have grain cleaners become certified seed companies, so they can buy the seed straight from Monsanto or another company and not have to pay as much if they were buying from a different seed company. Monsanto will never have a monopoly though, they'll just have a large share of the market.

If they don't make a profit, then they go out of business, costing thousands upon thousands of people a job.

With the amount of research and time that they put into their craft, I say they deserve the right to make money.

Agree to disagree. Theres a plethora of ways than they could hang onto their 20000 employees, and make formidable amounts of profit WHILE remaining ethical. You seem to disagree.

It's definitely a mere matter of time before they start working on commercializing Terminator Seeds despite 'their pledge' not to do so

Yes, this is very new. Doesn't mean that it's bad though. That's why you'll probably see more farms that have grain cleaners become certified seed companies, so they can buy the seed straight from Monsanto or another company and not have to pay as much if they were buying from a different seed company. Monsanto will never have a monopoly though, they'll just have a large share of the market.

More than 80% of US corn and more than 90% of soybeans planted each year are attributable to Monsanto

https://www.nytimes.com/2006/08/16/business/16seed.html?_r=0

https://www.haaretz.com/business/se...rael-s-rosetta-green-for-35m.premium-1.501303

Agree to disagree. Theres a plethora of ways than they could hang onto their 20000 employees, and make formidable amounts of profit WHILE remaining ethical. You seem to disagree.

It's definitely a mere matter of time before they start working on commercializing Terminator Seeds despite 'their pledge' not to do so

wordsaladwordsaladwordsaladwordsaladwordsaladwordsaladwordsalad

https://diversity.berkeley.edu/bowman-v-monsanto-monopoly-over-global-food-system

This link is about the law suit filled by Monsanto against a farmer who is reusing the seeds from his plants bought from Monsanto!! It resting enough if this Farmer wins the case and allows other farmers around the world to do the same thing, I could see Monsanto producing sterile seeds to continue there buisnes dominance in this feild!

This also give some #'s on there share of the market.. Getting monopoly like!!

How on earth is this unethical? Just because it's a new practice does not make it unethical. I will repeat myself, it is their product, that they developed, and they have the right to protect it.