What's new

Most Glaring Roster Holes

• Thread starter Deleted member 848
  • Start date
Its damn risky, but giving Wood a max deal this summer when he is 24 is safer to me than giving Gobert a max extension this year that starts in 2021. Rudy would be 30+ in 3 of 4 years of that deal.

Name a big man over 30 who is worth $30 million.

Sent from my SM-G970U using JazzFanz mobile app
The last years of those max deals often end in sadness regardless of position. Rudy just made his 4th straight all defensive team. Regardless of age his track record makes him an infinitely safer bet.

Wood has a ton of potential but there are good reasons he was waived and bounced around. I'd be nervous paying him Bojan money... itd be a blind *** guess giving him max money. His jump shot could easily regress. His focus and work could slip... Age is only one factor to consider here.

What happens against Houston? Holding them down to their worst 3 offensive games in a row?

Rudy had a great game where he dominated Giannis. Rudy also had dominant games against AD but things change when you play with LeBron James. Rudy has to help on LeBron and that allows AD room to operate. Defense does not go matchup wise most of the time. If we had more than 1 good perimeter defender, may be Rudy would be able to dominate Top 5 bigs without worrying about guards.
I've said all along - keep Rudy but don't overpay him.

Like you said, Rudy and Don works if we find that great wing to put with them. If we don't get that wing, paying Rudy is a waste of time. We would be better served using Rudy to target the future around Don than overpaying Rudy and hope to manage without the wing.

I've said all along - keep Rudy but don't overpay him.

Like you said, Rudy and Don works if we find that great wing to put with them. If we don't get that wing, paying Rudy is a waste of time. We would be better served using Rudy to target the future around Don than overpaying Rudy and hope to manage without the wing.

Rudy will probably get a classic Max deal which he absolutely deserves.

If Rudy leaves and we don't get a star in the next 2-3 years say goodbye to the playoffs and prolly Mitchell.

It's just so much easier to build around Rudy and Don even with both on a Max deal than going out there and either developing talent through draft or free agency.

Just so we’re clear, one of the biggest reasons I want Wood on the Jazz is because he looks like he can play next to Rudy AND behind him. That he could be a fallback in case the relationship with Rudy ends in the next year is a huge bonus, but we need Rudy.

I also just get the gut feeling Rudy is not getting the supermax for whatever that is worth.

Now let’s find a way to dump Ed and Tony, get Conley to sign a 3-year $55 million deal, go get Wood, and send our best wishes to Clarkson to make the money work. Think $15 million a year gets it done?

Last edited:
The only way to get Wood is to completely dump Conley.

NY gets Conley and #23
Charlotte gets Randle
Utah gets minor draft assets from NY and Charlotte

We shed a ton of cap space and enough to sign Wood to a good deal.

Mitchell/Conley
Royce/Mitchell
Ingles/Bojan
Wood/Bojan
Gobert/Wood

GIMMEEE
I would be very happy with that except Bojan would start over Ingles. We would also need some better depth.

Wood is a little bit of a risk but I like his potential on this team. His 3 point shooting has been suspicious for his career. I know he shot well this season in limited minutes but he was a bad 3 point shooter in college and in the G-league. But he can play defense, he can rebound, he can finish around the rim, and has potential of shooting 3's.

I would be very happy with that except Bojan would start over Ingles. We would also need some better depth.

Wood is a little bit of a risk but I like his potential on this team. His 3 point shooting has been suspicious for his career. I know he shot well this season in limited minutes but he was a bad 3 point shooter in college and in the G-league. But he can play defense, he can rebound, he can finish around the rim, and has potential of shooting 3's.
Bojan is a 0 at anything but scoring and a person would have to be missing eyes to not see how much both Ingles and Gobert benefit from playing at the same time. Bojan should still get his minutes and Ingles should be playing much less, but he should absolutely start. Playing Bojan and Ingles as the wings is not even worth the debate so that’s how I think it should go down.

And I ain’t dissing on you. I just can’t really wrap my head around any notion that Joe should come off the bench considering everything we saw this year.

Bojan is a 0 at anything but scoring and a person would have to be missing eyes to not see how much both Ingles and Gobert benefit playing at the same time. Bojan should still get his minutes and Ingles should be playing much less, but he should absolutely start. Playing Bojan and Ingles as the wings is not even worth the debate so that’s how I think it should go down.

And I ain’t dissing on you. I just can’t really wrap my head around any notion that Joe should come off the bench considering everything we saw this year.
How was Joe in the playoffs the last couple years?

Also that is not true about Bojan. He is a much better player than Ingles. He helps us win more.

Rudy will probably get a classic Max deal which he absolutely deserves.

If Rudy leaves and we don't get a star in the next 2-3 years say goodbye to the playoffs and prolly Mitchell.

It's just so much easier to build around Rudy and Don even with both on a Max deal than going out there and either developing talent through draft or free agency.
Bro all you got to do is get rid of Rudy, then become a **** *** team who wins 30 games and plays meaningless games post ASB so we can get moderate players to look like fringe all-stars.

The ludicrous idea of starting Wood over Bojan.
Starting =/= being better than. You simply cannot sign Wood to have him come off the bench, Ingles needs to start, and Bojan is a defensive liability and a mouth to feed on offense. The fit is better off the bench.

Bro all you got to do is get rid of Rudy, then become a **** *** team who wins 30 games and plays meaningless games post ASB so we can get moderate players to look like fringe all-stars.
Its not like trading Rudy brings back zero in return.

Sure, summer 2021 sucks if Rudy walks and Conley too, but that's not what people are proposing.

Its keep Rudy at a fair contract or trade him if he demands too much. Can't just let him walk.

Starting =/= being better than. You simply cannot sign Wood to have him come off the bench, Ingles needs to start, and Bojan is a defensive liability and a mouth to feed on offense. The fit is better off the bench.
And you think Wood is good at defense because...

Bojan is a 40% 3pt shooter for the last 3 seasons, the past one being on high volume. He is bad on D, but he isnt bad enough to make it to where Wood would be a better option.

Wood would be a bad fit on Utah and he is being highly overrated.

When Wood shoots 30% on 3's next year and looks like an average player Im going to laugh.
Depends on the team. If he is the only player on a really bad team again, I'm not going to judge him if he struggles. As long as he dominates a game here and there, he can still be legit. Like Kevin Love, etc.

Who you get to play with really, really matters especially if you are a big.

There is about a 0% chance the Jazz can sign Wood, so I really have no idea why yall obsess over him so much.

Set your eyes towards something within the realm of possibility and makes sense on this team, like Derrick Jones Jr/Derrick Favors.