What's new

Move On From Hayward?

Every player coming off a rookie contract will go for max dollars out there, it's their first chance to get "paid".
Barnes turned down a great offer and situation in GS to get the absolute max.

But even those contracts are cost control compared to guys on their third contracts.

I think the Jazz will position themselves to keep Hayward and max him. He's a unique and valuable enough player due to his versatility that maxing him probably makes sense in the bigger picture. If Boston offers a haul for Hayward with the belief they can re-sign him, the Jazz may listen, but their hand won't be forced. If Hayward walks, the Jazz will take step back, but they'll have their young players to build with.

If the Jazz need to move a contract in order to extend Gobert, they can look at moving Favors instead.

I do think that ultimately keeping Hayward, Gobert and Favors on rich deals is unlikely. Even if everyone stays, tying up $70M/year or more in those three guys isn't going to be conducive to getting past the 2nd round of the playoffs, since the main guys on the Clippers, Thunder and possibly even the T'wolves will probably be better than our trio.

I do think that ultimately keeping Hayward, Gobert and Favors on rich deals is unlikely. Even if everyone stays, tying up $70M/year or more in those three guys isn't going to be conducive to getting past the 2nd round of the playoffs, since the main guys on the Clippers, Thunder and possibly even the T'wolves will probably be better than our trio.

Not to mention having 6th man of the year Crawford and sharpshooter Reddick all these years. The Jazz will certainly be trying to do the impossible with the team approach. Maybe someone breaks out these next couple years, who knows right?

People are too worried about our players needing big contracts in the future. If young players like Exum, Hood, and Lyles get better and demand big contracts we can trade players in the future. Hayward and Favors will be trade-able in the future. We dont have a better player than Hayward to pay max money to. Multiple teams are willing to pay Hayward the Max next off season so that is his market value. We should pay him his market value and keep him instead of trading him for a pick that has a lower chance of becoming better than him and setting this team back 2+ years. We also can go into luxury tax threshold to keep our players in the future if this team becomes good. The current ownership has already shown they are willing to do this if needed. They did it in the Dwill Booze era.

Not to mention having 6th man of the year Crawford and sharpshooter Reddick all these years. The Jazz will certainly be trying to do the impossible with the team approach. Maybe someone breaks out these next couple years, who knows right?

Well the elephant in the living room here is that the Jazz appear to have a 6'10" PF who is showing the ability to shoot the ball, create his own shot, make a play with a pass and also put the ball on the floor and score in the paint with either hand---and it isn't Derrick Favors. Plus they have an elite paint defender/rebounder who can score a little on the pick-and-roll, and that's not Derrick Favors either. So given the circumstances, if the Jazz are forced to choose who to open the bank for, it might be Hayward and Gobert, not Favors.

If Hayward leaves as a free agent, then there's money in another year to pay Favors if that's what the Jazz want to do. The Jazz don't need to panic and make a move based on the premise that Hayward is leaving.

Favors might be our best player next year. He is on a good contract. He wants to be here. He is 24 years old and still improving which is only 1 year older than Gobert. There are very few players in the NBA that play as well as he does on both ends of the court. Unless Favors is part of a big trade to bring in a real star player he should not be anywhere close to our trade list.

Favors might be our best player next year. He is on a good contract. He wants to be here. He is 24 years old and still improving which is only 1 year older than Gobert. There are very few players in the NBA that play as well as he does on both ends of the court. Unless Favors is part of a big trade to bring in a real star player he should not be anywhere close to our trade list.

Makes me so happy when I see sane people on Jazzfanz.

I think he said he would take those players over Hayward.
I don't think he said they are better.
Exactly. My list was very fluid. Like I said, I put them in the list for one of three reasons - potential, for right now or as an asset. I would take Aldridge over him because he could get us more in a trade. If I had the choice of 2 years of Dirk or 2 years of Hayward, I would take Dirk. He's so good. Devin Booker is worse than Hayward, but he could evolve to be amazing.

Sent from my VS980 4G using JazzFanz mobile app

Other than not being a star and the potential massive contract, the main reason I hesitate on Hayward is the fact that he didn't blink an eye to go get a contract from Charlotte. Free agency opened and he was gone. This time next year, we could be kicking ourselves for not trading him when we had such a great trade chip. If we lost him for nothing after building around him, what a blow that would be.

And if Hayward, Favors and Gobert all want max extensions, then what?

And if Hayward, Favors and Gobert all want max extensions, then what?

I think they will renegotiate Favors' deal. He'll get 2 years of what would be his next deal plus his two years remaining spread over 4 years. It will be the same amount of money he would have gotten total over that period but he gets more now, has 2 more years of guaranteed money, and the Jazz save some room for other players.

People are too worried about our players needing big contracts in the future. If young players like Exum, Hood, and Lyles get better and demand big contracts we can trade players in the future. Hayward and Favors will be trade-able in the future. We dont have a better player than Hayward to pay max money to. Multiple teams are willing to pay Hayward the Max next off season so that is his market value. We should pay him his market value and keep him instead of trading him for a pick that has a lower chance of becoming better than him and setting this team back 2+ years. We also can go into luxury tax threshold to keep our players in the future if this team becomes good. The current ownership has already shown they are willing to do this if needed. They did it in the Dwill Booze era.

Here's the thing you give Hayward a max and his play doesn't jump or even takes a slight dip and there's no significant cap bump than he becomes less tradable.

Other than not being a star and the potential massive contract, the main reason I hesitate on Hayward is the fact that he didn't blink an eye to go get a contract from Charlotte. Free agency opened and he was gone. This time next year, we could be kicking ourselves for not trading him when we had such a great trade chip. If we lost him for nothing after building around him, what a blow that would be.

That's a bunch of crap. The Jazz had ample opportunities to extend a full max (4 or 5 years) and chose to let the market set his price. The only way that happens is if he SIGNS an offer sheet. You don't have to like the structure of the contract, but the Jazz screwed that one up. . . not Hayward. Like there's a single person on here that would have done things differently. Please.

Yeah you are one of those people who blames someone for being a businessman and looking out for self interest.

If he hadn't signed a max deal with someone, what would be the incentive for Utah to max him? Both sides took a risk by letting Hayward hit the open market and both sides agreed to the risk. Either Hayward would get the max from someone else or he wouldn't and Utah could low ball him.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Yeah you are one of those people who blames someone for being a businessman and looking out for self interest.

If he hadn't signed a max deal with someone, what would be the incentive for Utah to max him? Both sides took a risk by letting Hayward hit the open market and both sides agreed to the risk. Either Hayward would get the max from someone else or he wouldn't and Utah could low ball him.

"I am one of those people" who thinks he's just going to leave next year for nothing. His last contract situation was understandable. We didn't sign him so he went out and got paid. We matched. Next time, we don't have that ability.

"I am one of those people" who thinks he's just going to leave next year for nothing. His last contract situation was understandable. We didn't sign him so he went out and got paid. We matched. Next time, we don't have that ability.

Uhh, the incentive was never for Hayward to leave, he was driven by money. If he still values money, he will stay with Utah.