What's new

My apologies to Trey Lyles

What a bonus he is becoming this season. I had no real opinion when he was drafted, trusted DL, but I sure did not expect this kind of performance this season. And he is such a different big for us, can hit the 3 and put the ball on the floor. He looks like another solid, very solid, piece.

Question: assuming he can keep this up (over time), is he a better fit with Gobert than Favors? He plays outside while Gobert is inside. Could he make Favors expendable/tradeable?

Call me crazy, but I see Tim Duncan-type finesse in Lyles' game and based on what I've seen in the last four games I would trade anyone on the team except for Rudy before trading Trey.

What a bonus he is becoming this season. I had no real opinion when he was drafted, trusted DL, but I sure did not expect this kind of performance this season. And he is such a different big for us, can hit the 3 and put the ball on the floor. He looks like another solid, very solid, piece.

Question: assuming he can keep this up (over time), is he a better fit with Gobert than Favors? He plays outside while Gobert is inside. Could he make Favors expendable/tradeable?

Gobert, Favors and Lyles can all get 32 minutes a game with Withey playing situationally. Favors would have to play half his time at center though.

So with him and Withey, we have four solid bigs. What do we need then, other than to get healthy?
Not much.

Exum, tb3, neto
Hood, burks
Hayward, ingles/cj
Favors, lyles
Gobert, withey

With pleiss and booker on the end of the bench.

That team is deep, talented, and balanced. That team healthy for most games gets us the 5 seed with a chance at the 4 seed... this year.

In a few years we could be contenders.

Still would be nice to have a true scoring superstar but I like the team we have. If they would just get healthy. Too bad it seems we are only getting more injured. Last night cj went down (have not heard if it's serious) and the game before that Booker goes down. This team is having the most injuries I can ever recall from a jazz team.

Gobert. Missed lots of games
Exum. Probably the whole season
Burks. Lots of games
Favors. Lots of games
Hood. A handful of games
Booker
Chris johnson

Those first five are some of our best and most important players too... And thats before we even got to the halfway point of the season!

Thank god burke and Hayward have stayed healthy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2saBTx82m4

He is shooting with allot more arch on his shot now vs early in the year

Gobert, Favors and Lyles can all get 32 minutes a game with Withey playing situationally. Favors would have to play half his time at center though.

Lyles playing like this so early in his career indicates that he is starter material. Favors is a proven starter. You cannot have 3 starting bigs. And you cannot afford all 3 either. Question remains, does Lyles make Favors expendable? Not immediately, not right now, but can you see it coming?

Lyles playing like this so early in his career indicates that he is starter material. Favors is a proven starter. You cannot have 3 starting bigs. And you cannot afford all 3 either. Question remains, does Lyles make Favors expendable? Not immediately, not right now, but can you see it coming?

Hard to say, so much to a game besides offense. However, Lyles offense is smooth and has a nice mix of floaters, 3s, layups and dunks. I think he compliments Rudy and Favors very well.

You can't trade a dead man. No in all seriousness this could become a legit question if Lyles keeps it up. It's a great problem to have, better have 3 starting caliber bigs than none that's for sure.

Not much.

Exum, tb3, neto
Hood, burks
Hayward, ingles/cj
Favors, lyles
Gobert, withey

That team is deep, talented, and balanced. That team healthy for most games gets us the 5 seed with a chance at the 4 seed... this year.

Still would be nice to have a true scoring superstar but I like the team we have. If they would just get healthy. Too bad it seems we are only getting more injured. Last night cj went down (have not heard if it's serious) and the game before that Booker goes down. This team is having the most injuries I can ever recall from a jazz team.

Burks. Lots of games
Favors. Lots of games
Hood. A handful of games
Booker
Chris johnson

Those first five are some of our best and most important players too... And thats before we even got to the halfway point of the season!

I don't disagree with you at all.

However, part of me thinks we need to parlay this depth/picks into something more. For instance, we need to extend Withey imo. If we do that, maybe we could trade him and Burke next year for a late 2017 1st. Teams that think they can win it all always look for a really good defensive backup big and backup pg. Those can be the difference in winning it all or not. I think I'd also consider trading Burks to a team looking to win it all for a mid to late 1st in that 2017 draft as well. That would give us four 1sts in that draft and those picks, along with other picks we have could be enough to move into the top 5 to get a stud.

We'd still have a core of...

Exum-Neto
Hood
Hayward
Favors-Lyles
Gobert

But a superstar at the 2 with Hood becoming the first wing off the bench could make us a legit title contender.

I recall only AB and myself liking Lyles. Can't remember if Lyles was the guy PG Want Ed the Jazz to draft.

I had Cameron Payne higher on my board, would've chose between him and Lyles though. They were my 2 BPA's at the time, and I'd have been very happy with either...

I recall being one of the only posters truly excited over the pick after it happened, there was only a handful of us that like the pick and that might be overstating it. Many posters here had convinced themselves Lyles range was more top-20 than a lottery pick.

Pretty sure this is the first thing I posted after the pick was in.

Trey Lyles is a damn good player, he's very skilled. He's polished offensively for 19 years old. he's got a chance to extend his range beyond 20ft. Prototype PF size. His shooting mechanics are really nice IMO, I think the questions about his efficiency from distance will prove to be unfounded. He's got an array of jab-steps, pumpfakes back to the basket and faceup moves, he's a triple threat.

Not much.

Exum, tb3, neto
Hood, burks
Hayward, ingles/cj
Favors, lyles
Gobert, withey

Burks. Lots of games
Favors. Lots of games
Hood. A handful of games
Booker
Chris johnson

I really like that as a start. I'd move on from Booker tbh. Lyles is taking his place and looks like the stretch 4 everyone wants.

Exam will return and surprise people. Neto l, another decent 2nd round draft pick, and Burke will finish the PG rotation. IMO

Favors and Gobert backed up by Withey and Lyles locks down the 4 & 5. Especially with Pleiss as a 5th big.

Hayward and Hood are ball handling wings that I am high on.

I like Ingles but the Jazz need to bring in someone that will push him down the depth chart. If the Jazz cannot get one in FA then Burks and picks would be the best shot at getting that player. Burks is awesome but doesn't fit with the rest of the team as well. He is the odd man out as far as complimentary talents IMO

Jazz are headed the right way and fast. But this roster still needs a little work to become a contender.

I had Cameron Payne higher on my board, would've chose between him and Lyles though. They were my 2 BPA's at the time, and I'd have been very happy with either...

I recall being one of the only posters truly excited over the pick after it happened, there was only a handful of us that like the pick and that might be overstating it. Many posters here had convinced themselves Lyles range was more top-20 than a lottery pick.

Great now we have hear this forever again how you can be right evertime?

I'm pretty sure my first comment was to call everyone bitches for criticism over wanting Lyles before the draft. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't disagree with you at all.

However, part of me thinks we need to parlay this depth/picks into something more. For instance, we need to extend Withey imo. If we do that, maybe we could trade him and Burke next year for a late 2017 1st. Teams that think they can win it all always look for a really good defensive backup big and backup pg. Those can be the difference in winning it all or not. I think I'd also consider trading Burks to a team looking to win it all for a mid to late 1st in that 2017 draft as well. That would give us four 1sts in that draft and those picks, along with other picks we have could be enough to move into the top 5 to get a stud.

We'd still have a core of...

Exum-Neto
Hood
Hayward
Favors-Lyles
Gobert

But a superstar at the 2 with Hood becoming the first wing off the bench could make us a legit title contender.

I think trading Burke would be a mistake. He and Rudy are the two players on our team that have the mental toughness and competitiveness a playoff team requires.

I agree about trading Burks. His style of play is another injury waiting to happen.

I say we keep Withey since he plays hard all of the time and has a knack for being disruptive. He looks like he's getting more comfortable and he could still improve.

I think we trade Favors. He's reached his potential. If he got into awesome shape I'd think differently. With the development of Lyles, Favors should be leveraged for another need.

Keep Booker, again, he plays with fire.

Keep Hood, he could get better IMO.

Keep Hayward.

Keep Neto.

Trade Favors and Burks and draft picks for a stud veteran to speed up our time frame for a championship run.

Last edited:
I really like that as a start. I'd move on from Booker tbh. Lyles is taking his place and looks like the stretch 4 everyone wants.

Exam will return and surprise people. Neto l, another decent 2nd round draft pick, and Burke will finish the PG rotation. IMO

Favors and Gobert backed up by Withey and Lyles locks down the 4 & 5. Especially with Pleiss as a 5th big.

Hayward and Hood are ball handling wings that I am high on.

I like Ingles but the Jazz need to bring in someone that will push him down the depth chart. If the Jazz cannot get one in FA then Burks and picks would be the best shot at getting that player. Burks is awesome but doesn't fit with the rest of the team as well. He is the odd man out as far as complimentary talents IMO

Jazz are headed the right way and fast. But this roster still needs a little work to become a contender.

I generally hate surprise exams, but I agree he is going to surprise. Watching him in summer league showed an aggressiveness that was missing his rookie year (don't care if it was only summer ball, he was a different player) We are seeing something similar from Lyles now, and Exum showed a ton of improvement towards the end of the season.

I think the one thing will be the deciding factor is Gobert. If he can develop a 15 footer (big if), lost offense and can increase his lateral speed to guard outside bigs, he will be a stilt assassin.

Pretty sure he surprised everyone with his aggressive play in his only SL game last summer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He did and I don't expect that Exum every night. But I expect Exum will be closer to that than he was to his rookie version. I'm a homer, sure, but I just don't freak out over the PG position like everyone else.