What's new

My frontline can beat up your frontline - Why I'm giddy.

I think a guy who is slightly older but who brings his value in shooting (read: Wes Matthews) could actually be a giant help - by the end of his deal he will be moving into a lesser role, but he will help us get to a competitive level a hell of a lot faster. Without a signing of a guy who can really play NOW, we are going to be close but frustratingly inconsistent the next couple of years while we wait on Exum, Burke, Burks, etc.

Edit: Kanter's stats are exactly what I would expect. Good offensive player, but SO BAD defensively that his overall metrics are dog****.

Matthews at 28 isn't bad. "Old" only by current Jazz standards :) Could still be solid when the rest peak in 2-3.

Interesting that our best Guard with your stat is the much maligned Jingles.

Completely love what Jingles does with what Jingles has but "best" is so damn relative here it's like the best July day in Phoenix.

Matthews at 28 isn't bad. "Old" only by current Jazz standards :) Could still be solid when the rest peak in 2-3.

Completely love what Jingles does with what Jingles has but "best" is so damn relative here it's like the best July day in Phoenix.
I understand. It's just that looking at these #'s makes him look even more like a rotation player. I don't think he's a starting quality player for a contender. But I fully believe he can be a rotation player for a team like that.

I understand. It's just that looking at these #'s makes him look even more like a rotation player. I don't think he's a starting quality player for a contender. But I fully believe he can be a rotation player for a team like that.

Yes. Especially in situational moments when he shines like some of those early season inbound plays.

Nice thread. Just noticed it. I agree too. I wouldn't take another front line over this one either.

Nice thread. Just noticed it. I agree too. I wouldn't take another front line over this one either.

Davis + Whoever else plays for the Pelicans is hard to beat though.......

Still, Davis is injury prone and so far Favors and Gobert have been relative Iron Men.

Still, Davis is injury prone and so far Favors and Gobert have been relative Iron Men.

I love Davis but I'd even take our current over the Pels. Take Davis individually over any of ours but the set would, for me, go to the Jazz. Perfect balanced attack. Hayward decent D great O as facilitator/scorer. FAvors the perfectly balanced O/D power forward. Gobert the D beast (and if he keeps up the one step from 12 feet out dunks like tonight may be more of a threat and sooner than expected).

I have to drool one more time over Rudy's motor. That 4th quarter fast break dunk was all heart (did you see the speed he moved up that court?) and crushed any last hopes for Memphis.

I love Davis but I'd even take our current over the Pels. Take Davis individually over any of ours but the set would, for me, go to the Jazz. Perfect balanced attack. Hayward decent D great O as facilitator/scorer. FAvors the perfectly balanced O/D power forward. Gobert the D beast (and if he keeps up the one step from 12 feet out dunks like tonight may be more of a threat and sooner than expected).

I have to drool one more time over Rudy's motor. That 4th quarter fast break dunk was all heart (did you see the speed he moved up that court?) and crushed any last hopes for Memphis.

Favors has really started to turn that next corner in his offensive development. The fact that his offense has taken a nose dive with the limited spacing is great. Once we solidify our starting lineup's shooting and our PG play improves, along with more of his natural improvement, who knows how good he can be on offense.

As much as we hate on Corbin, we kind of have to give him some credit for Favors having a respectable post-up game. All those years of forcing Favors to be a post-up big had some benefit.

Favors has really started to turn that next corner in his offensive development. The fact that his offense has taken a nose dive with the limited spacing is great. Once we solidify our starting lineup's shooting and our PG play improves, along with more of his natural improvement, who knows how good he can be on offense.

As much as we hate on Corbin, we kind of have to give him some credit for Favors having a respectable post-up game. All those years of forcing Favors to be a post-up big had some benefit.

This is what I see as key for Favors/Gobert to be a great and not just really, really good duo. In today's game, if you don't have a stretch 4, working the 4/5 well really requires 2 really good (38%+ probably?) or three quite good (35%+ another estimate?) 3 guns from the point and wings. I really see us being one PG/SG equivalent to Hayward away from being a contender in 1-2 years. Thinking they'd be options 1a/1b with Favors and the other guard being 3a/3b. Gobert plays the part of Colossus of Troy in the middle for D and Chandler-esque oops or 1 huge drop step dunks from 12 feet out for O.

Favors O improvement is just so icing on the cake right now. And yes maybe some of the thanks goes to Corbin.

I always laugh when I read other forums and see comments like "That Favors/Gobert frontcourt is going to be great in a few years".

It is great right NOW.

Or Blake Griffin / DJ, by this metri they cumulatively rank higher than our 2, though they do have a combined 6 more years on them!