What's new

NAW's only weakness was shooting

Decision making and turnovers have also been a big weakness throughout his career. I could be wrong, but I also don't think he's been very good at finishing at the rim so far in his career.

I'm glad he's shooting well over the past few games, but it's also a really small sample size, let's see if he can keep it up.

Wouldnt say shooting was ever the issue.

Issue is he just sucks at scoring and had no confidence.
yeah, shooting has been an issue. he's been a sub 35% 3pt shooter since he entered the league. 31% last season with both utah and nop. but i agree it hasn't been his ONLY issue. he has sucked at scoring as well, but dude has struggled just hitting shots.

If he shoots it well, say 40% or better from three, it smooths out some of his other issues. I am just not a big believer in the moonball he shoots. I think on catch and shoot he can be good but still not a believer he is good enough off the dribble to be some amazing offensive force. The defense is nice and if the shooting is real the defense is the nice thing he adds to this group.

He shoots the highest arcing shot I can recall.
I never know if it will be a brick or swish in the air... even on his free throws I am like "that looks 2 feet short" and it falls in. Its why I need like 10 more games of good shooting to believe.

NAW has been awesome but let’s not forget people were running victory laps about THT after a couple good games and now look where we’re at with him.

You mean coming off a really good game and then getting basically a DNP? These young guys have a lot of potential but they need consistent minutes and the opportunity to play through bad stretches to actually gain confidence and build consistency. Clearing the log jam at the guard spot needs to be made a priority so that we can judge what we have in the younger guys and who can possibly be long term pieces. Luckily we don't have as big of an issue in the front court but I would still love to see Dok get some consistent minutes to see what he can do. Hopefully when Simone gets back we see the end of Rudy but I wouldn't bet on that being the case.

Shooting and turnovers.
So far the shooting looks better. Not a fan of his shooting mechanics but it's working for him now.
I like NAW. He had periods of good play followed by bad in New Orleans. I'm hoping he's turned a corner here in Utah.
I don’t know what he’s changed mechanics wise but I think it’s a good bet that Hornacek had something to do with it. I actually think it looks fine now. I don’t remember if Horny shot with that much ark but damn it’s like a Ron Boone throwback and a beautiful thing the way he’s been hitting the bottom of the net!

If he shoots it well, say 40% or better from three, it smooths out some of his other issues. I am just not a big believer in the moonball he shoots. I think on catch and shoot he can be good but still not a believer he is good enough off the dribble to be some amazing offensive force. The defense is nice and if the shooting is real the defense is the nice thing he adds to this group.

I would expect him to settle in the 36-38% range if he gets consistent minutes which is just fine for a guy that brings so many other things to the table as well.

dg was one of the more overrated players in jazz history. basically he didn't do anything other than shoot/score and he wasn't even very good at those things.

Crazy thing is how it seems to my eyeballs that all these threes he is making are nothing but net. Doens't seem like they ever even graze the rim on their way in. I could be wrong though.

He shoots the highest arcing shot I can recall.
Agreed. When i first saw him shooting threes it made me laugh cause it was so abnormally high. I have kind of gotten used to it now though and barely notice it.

He's had some problems with turnovers and finishing at the rim, both maybe related to a lack of explosiveness. His shooting motion is such that he needs to be squared up. He's not a guy who shoots off of movement, and he's limited off the dribble.

He may have improved his fitness. He's moving faster than I remember. He's also focusing his scoring on certain situations that actually work for him. He's picking his spots and it's improving his efficiency.

He may be the closest thing the Jazz have right now to a true drive-and-kick player, simply because he's got enough size and length to stride his way past a defender and deliver a pass on target.