What's new

Nba don't want the Jazz to win the title.

Ok?

Change the team you like then if it bothers you so much. The washed players i'm referring to are Griffin and LMA. Drummond is the guy with no impact on winning in his career.

And yes, I think the NBA imporved with Lebron going to Miami. I think the NBA improved with KD going to GSW. It made for interesting storylines. It creates teams people love to hate. Parity is extremely overrated.
It’s easy to say when you’re a fan of the big market teams. Without parity though it’s 3 or 4 teams competing for a championship per year at most, some years even less. How about we just have only the lakers and Brooklyn in the league the next two years? What’s the point of a regular season? 95% of the time there are no surprises in the league of who’s going to the finals. BORING. I want a dogfight. I want to see competition.

Without parity it’s cheap because then you have teams who trust the process and spend years of hard work and draft building to get towards the very top, then with one fell swoop you have the two biggest market teams casually pick up the best buyout players out there for nothing.

Gone are the days of the San Antonio Spurs - if you’re a small market team, even if you do everything right, you have almost no chance of winning a chip.

You can’t control the best players going to the larger markets. That’s fine. So at the very least they can change the rules on the buyout. If you get bought out you can’t play until next year. I think that’s fair.

Lebron left miami to go back to cleveland. They weren't good. He went to La. They also weren't good
Going to Cleveland was a basketball decision because after he left they got Kyrie and Love. He wouldn’t have gone back unless they had the pieces of a championship by then. But! I still give him credit for going back im not hating on LBJ but I do think he started the super team mentality.

Oh and the Lakers he outright pushed the owners and the GM to trade half of their guys for AD. Imagine being on a team where your best player is doing anything he can to trade you and two other guys in your starting line up for a year. He also did everything he could to get Kawhi. I don’t blame him for that. But I do think it shows a pattern where he is trying to get a championship through means outside of the basketball court. Ring chasing. Rather than turning what you have into ring contenders. It’s more difficult but more rewarding.

Going to Cleveland was a basketball decision because after he left they got Kyrie and Love. He wouldn’t have gone back unless they had the pieces of a championship by then. But! I still give him credit for going back im not hating on LBJ but I do think he started the super team mentality.

Oh and the Lakers he outright pushed the owners and the GM to trade half of their guys for AD. Imagine being on a team where your best player is doing anything he can to trade you and two other guys in your starting line up for a year. He also did everything he could to get Kawhi. I don’t blame him for that. But I do think it shows a pattern where he is trying to get a championship through means outside of the basketball court. Ring chasing. Rather than turning what you have into ring contenders. It’s more difficult but more rewarding.
Boston and LA created the super-team mentality back in the 70s and 80s. The 90's and early 00s were more about selfish basketball and the "star", then it got back to (non-drafted) super teams with the Gasol trade and the KG/Allen trades. Lebron just made it OK for players to be the drivers of the super-team, not general managers.

And I do agree the KD to GSW was a bit over teh top, but it's also a situation that will probably not happen again. It was just a perfect storm for a team who drafted perfectly and got lucky with their contract to their best player before he blew up along with a rare cap situation.

If they want to even things out for small markets (they really don’t want to) then I think some sort of compensation for signing all star free agents would be a bigger win than anything buyout related.

Boston and LA created the super-team mentality back in the 70s and 80s. The 90's and early 00s were more about selfish basketball and the "star", then it got back to (non-drafted) super teams with the Gasol trade and the KG/Allen trades. Lebron just made it OK for players to be the drivers of the super-team, not general managers.
The Celtics in the 80's was built through the draft. They drafted McHale and the next year drafted Bird. It was not a place where stars gathered and they didn't bring in much in terms of trades or signings other than support pieces, except for maybe Bill Walton, but that was a gamble due to his injury history. Also we must remember there were fewer teams and it concentrated the talent a little more than today naturally.

The Lakers in the 80's only got Johnson because the Jazz gave up the pick as part of the Goodrich trade. This was forced by the league as compensation for signing away their star player. So an argument could be made that this was proof from the early 80's that the league wanted the Lakers to be a star-studded show and not the Jazz. The year before they drafted Johnson they finished at 47-35 and 5th in the western conference.

So no, neither of them built super-teams anywhere near how James has shown the players to do it now.

The 76'ers was the dominant team in the early 80's winning the championship in 83 after 2 of 3 seasons over 60 wins, one of them winning 65 games, behind Moses Malone and Dr. J. Malone was acquired in a trade, but again it lead to one championship and not a dynasty and the trade wasn't really viewed as that lop-sided.

So although there have been dominant teams, "super-teams" if you will, there has not been the push to artificially build super-teams as we are seeing today. It was just never a thing until James pushed to go to Miami and bring his friends with him to get that ring.

If they want to even things out for small markets (they really don’t want to) then I think some sort of compensation for signing all star free agents would be a bigger win than anything buyout related.
That is how we lost Magic Johnson. The league forced us to give the Lakers our next season's first round pick in compensation for signing away Goodrich. That pick turned into Magic Johnson.

Stars forcing their way out of small markets and leaving teams high and dry is the worst. As soon as a star in a small market has like 3 years left on their deal it starts the clock to when this guy gonna sign in LA, Miami, etc. If the acquiring team had to give up a couple unprotected firsts to sign away an all star the small market can be assured they won't be left with nothing and might be less inclined to trade the player to bend to the large markets will. The large market would also then be hamstrung on other moves they could make... so you won't be able to put together a super duper team.

Every idea for parity backfires. The biggest one that would have the most impact would be limiting officiating with bias. This would be too hard because it's too hard to define, bias is often unconscious, and enough people would deny it existing to actually move toward improvement. No more star calls. No more "benefit of the doubt." No more rookie calls. No more "earning calls." Did you get fouled? Congratulations! You've earned the call.

That is how we lost Magic Johnson. The league forced us to give the Lakers our next season's first round pick in compensation for signing away Goodrich. That pick turned into Magic Johnson.
I think teams would be a little more wise... there were many epic fail trades back in the day.

Do one unprotected pick for signing away an all-star and two if they were all -NBA. Teams still might do a trade like the AD trade of course, but teams won't be in situations like we were with Gordon or OKC was with KD where it was all or nothing.

Every idea for parity backfires. The biggest one that would have the most impact would be limiting officiating with bias. This would be too hard because it's too hard to define, bias is often unconscious, and enough people would deny it existing to actually move toward improvement. No more star calls. No more "benefit of the doubt." No more rookie calls. No more "earning calls." Did you get fouled? Congratulations! You've earned the call.
Its true... the mega max has hurt some small market teams and wasn't designed to be that way.

The next THREE season's first round picks the final being Magic Johnson (77,78, AND 79.)

Maybe make it so that if you want a buyout guy to be playoff eligible you have to pay a $1-2M fee to the team that waived the player or send a second rounder to them.

LMA takes the ball out of the hands of two of the best scorers in NBA history at their peak.

They would have been much better off adding role players (snipers, wing defenders, ball movers) than adding redundant and lower efficiency scorers.

Nets were better before LMA.

They would have been much better off adding role players (snipers, wing defenders, ball movers) than adding redundant and lower efficiency scorers.

Nets were better before LMA.

I wouldn't say that. It doesn't move the needle much but it does give them some leeway to rest their stars some down the stretch and still nab the #1 seed.

The Celtics in the 80's was built through the draft. They drafted McHale and the next year drafted Bird. It was not a place where stars gathered and they didn't bring in much in terms of trades or signings other than support pieces, except for maybe Bill Walton, but that was a gamble due to his injury history. Also we must remember there were fewer teams and it concentrated the talent a little more than today naturally.
They traded for Parrish. Tiny Archibald, M. L. Carr, and Chris Ford all played major minutes and came from other teams.

However, I agree this was not like the way James has built teams.

They traded for Parrish. Tiny Archibald, M. L. Carr, and Chris Ford all played major minutes and came from other teams.

However, I agree this was not like the way James has built teams.
Good point, but none of them were super-stars in their own right. Every team has to add players around the stars so I didn't look at many of those kind of transactions as anything questionable.

And it also plays into my other point that with fewer teams there was a concentration of talent a bit different than today.

After we're ousted from the playoffs and lauded for our effort :rolleyes:

Niang island will be empty. Just Wilson.