Nba don't want the Jazz to win the title.

NUMBERICA

This.

The size of the market is not like border wall around any given city. It is also the surrounding area, and largely the state and general region. You better believe in Texas alone there are far more Spurs fans than there are Jazz fans in all of Utah/Wyoming/Idaho/Montana combined. Not to mention surrounding states and just the general popularity of the franchise around the country. The Spurs are undoubtedly more popular in general, thereby entertaining a much larger fan-base, than the Jazz, and therefore, worth more to the NBA in general.

This highly highly scientific study bears this out:

I’m assuming the “highly scientific” part is a joke.

Max Porter

I just dont get why you bitch about one so much compared to the other.
Dude haha you’re missing my point. I’m not saying it’s one or the other. I’m saying it was one big thing playing against smaller market teams as you’ve stated -now it’s two big things going against you because players are now bullish about joining big market teams too that are already stacked because they want it to be easy. I don’t respect easy in sports. I want competition. I want it to be difficult.

Because when you win in that kind of environment, a league with parity, it’s a real achievement. Tagging along on the greatness of others is not an achievement. Never will be.

Also, the reason I can’t fault GM’s for finding the best players is because it’s their job to do so. Their job is to build a good team. The players don’t have that job. A players job is to make your team as good as it can be on the court, not talk during the off-season to all of your all star buddies to join you. Not to demand your team pull a trade for better players or to get a coach fired or to demand a trade when you’re already making millions and millions of dollars on guaranteed cash.

That’s all I’m saying. I just think it’s soft and that it shouldn’t be a players role to do all of these things in the background to win a chip. I do wish I could see KD beat GS the year after they lost to them in 7. He probably would’ve beat them with the team they had. But he got scared and rode the coat tails of other greats. That’s not greatness.

Saint Cy of JFC

Dude haha you’re missing my point. I’m not saying it’s one or the other. I’m saying it was one big thing playing against smaller market teams as you’ve stated -now it’s two big things going against you because players are now bullish about joining big market teams too that are already stacked because they want it to be easy. I don’t respect easy in sports. I want competition. I want it to be difficult.
So shouldn't super teams raise your enjoyment level while watching your team?

NUMBERICA

It's definitely a small market. Both Dallas (DFW) and Houston (****ing huge) are much bigger markets than Austin/San Antonio. And people in Austin arent Spurs fans, by and large.
I’d love to have more info on all of this. But in my limited experience, Austin is a Spurs town.

Saint Cy of JFC

I’d love to have more info on all of this. But in my limited experience, Austin is a Spurs town.
Austin is just a huge transplant city. A lot of people who live here arent from Texas (and rapidly trending that way), much less Austin, and it's just not a basketball city. It's not impossible to find pickup games (pre-covid) but compared to DFW and Houston it's night/day.

But, by and large Latino's in TX go for the Spurs or Lakers. Plus they have a huge international fanbase. Austin is just an extremely white city.

silesian

I disagree because they don’t have to give him the ball unless they really want to expose someone in the post. Bojan on the Jazz got smoked like 4 times in a row from the sixers using that strategy. The more ways a team CAN beat you not HAVE to, the better the team is. He’s also a veteran that will never demand the ball. If I were the Jazz I’d take him.

I guess that depends on whether you think their efficiency of LMA versus scrub post play is better than Harden or KD creating. I know which one I would take.

Max Porter

So shouldn't super teams raise your enjoyment level while watching your team?
It’s enjoyable watching my small market team that no free agent wants to go to who can’t get any buyout players get beat by a big market team that every free agent and buyout player wants to join when my small market team worked their tail to come this far and spent years developing? No not really haha