What's new

Nba don't want the Jazz to win the title.

I think Nets going to make the finals. Isn't the owner Chinese? There's probably some huge deals waiting for the NBA and players if they do. They lost a lot of money with the Morley issue, probably one of the reasons why harden chose Nets. Now that Morley is the gm of 76ers,china don't air their games, not even replays.
I thought the owner was Russian? Wasn’t that why AK47 went there back in the day?

I don’t think that was his point. How many seasons did it take for Jordan to finally win a ring? I think the point was “Jordan stayed and said I got this.” Hopefully we’ll see that same kind of thinking with Rudy and DM.
Uhh, nearly everyone stays with the team that drafted them for the first 7 years minimum. At some point the balance sheet gets too high and the teams cant get anymore talent because they dont have the cap space and they arent getting high picks because they are a good team. That's when stars should leave and that's when most do. I dont think stars sticking on their OG team only to be a middling team with no real contention hopes is good for the NBA.

A bunch of washed vets and a guy who has never impacted winning joining the marquee teams isnt some huge balance changer.

You are thinking very short term. In the long run it's much more profitable to promote the bigger franchises and players. Do you think the clippers make more money now or when they were straight up bottom feeders? Or golden state? Of course those areas being successful gets more game fans, even if just bandwagoners. Do you think the jazz winning the championship or the Lakers will generate more bandwagon fans? Will the jazz missing the finals or the Lakers missing the finals cause more fans to quit watching the games in the playoffs? It's a matter of sheer numbers. Double the entire jazz fan-base and it won't equal a 20% swing in the Lakers fan-base. And it means the success of the future agreements, of course it has nothing to do with current already set contacts. But if the big name teams are less successful will the TV stations expect more or fewer viewers for the next contract? That will impact the money. It's more than just one game or one season. It's much more valuable over the long-run for the big name teams to win.
The Lakers were *** for most of the decade. Did people stop being Lakers fans? A lot of the championships were won by San Antonio who lacked marketable stars. Did the NBA suffer? The Knicks have been terrible for a lot longer. Has the NBA intervened to put them back into contention?

In actuality, the NBA would be better served by allowing other teams to have success. How many 12 year olds in Minnesota are jonesing to watch a Timberwolves game? Do they become Laker fans or just follow hockey or the NFL instead. The bandwagoners aren't going anywhere, and it is stupid to build a league that caters to them. The NFL doesn't do this and they are the most successful American sports league by a mile. If you were around when the Jazz went to the finals you saw that many casual people who would probably never follow the NBA were made lifetime fans by that two year run. What if other cities never get that run?

The Jazz were in the most watched finals. People may not have tuned into see the Jazz, but the Jazz narrative as a part of that series was strong. If the Jazz had been upset by the Spurs, do you think more people tune in? No because people were interested in Jordan being tested by a titan.

If Utah matches up against the Nets, the viewership won't be any less than if it were the Lakers. Maybe more because there are a lot of fans that would be sickened by a Lakers/Nets matchup. A plucky Cinderella against the largest Superteam of all time (part 2) is a much better story.

I don’t know what the league can do to stop super teams from forming but it’s becoming a real problem. It doesn’t make it feel like a real championship if a super team wins. Golden state with KD is not a championship, it’s automatic and inevitable.

It’s like high school players beating elementary basketball players then pretending they won something substantial and showering themselves with champagne. It’s not impressive haha it’s weak.

Those warriors wins were way more impressive before KD joined the team because they built something through the draft, through chemistry, through innovative play and toughness.

It sucks when your team works hard to get to the top of the league, then a huge market team just casually adds two good pieces from the buyout because players want to ride the coat tails of others.

Uhh, nearly everyone stays with the team that drafted them for the first 7 years minimum. At some point the balance sheet gets too high and the teams cant get anymore talent because they dont have the cap space and they arent getting high picks because they are a good team. That's when stars should leave and that's when most do. I dont think stars sticking on their OG team only to be a middling team with no real contention hopes is good for the NBA.

A bunch of washed vets and a guy who has never impacted winning joining the marquee teams isnt some huge balance changer.
So when KD, an mvp, left for a historically good warriors team when Okc nearly beat them in the playoffs it’s good he left because he’d be a washed veteran otherwise? Haha what? Lebron left Cleveland in his prime to join a super team because he would’ve been washed if he stayed?

Yeah many players are washed that leave their original teams - that’s not the issue. The issue is mvp caliber players going to already stacked teams and zero mvp player calibers willingly go elsewhere or willingly going to smaller markets. The best players always leave small markers for big markets, almost NEVER the other way around. This creates an enormous unfair advantage to large markets.

So when KD, an mvp, left for a historically good warriors team when Okc nearly beat them in the playoffs it’s good he left because he’d be a washed veteran otherwise? Haha what? Lebron left Cleveland in his prime to join a super team because he would’ve been washed if he stayed?

Yeah many players are washed that leave their original teams - that’s not the issue. The issue is mvp caliber players going to already stacked teams and zero mvp player calibers willingly go elsewhere or willingly going to smaller markets. The best players always leave small markers for big markets, almost NEVER the other way around. This creates an enormous unfair advantage to large markets.
Ok?

Change the team you like then if it bothers you so much. The washed players i'm referring to are Griffin and LMA. Drummond is the guy with no impact on winning in his career.

And yes, I think the NBA imporved with Lebron going to Miami. I think the NBA improved with KD going to GSW. It made for interesting storylines. It creates teams people love to hate. Parity is extremely overrated.

I think Nets going to make the finals. Isn't the owner Chinese? There's probably some huge deals waiting for the NBA and players if they do. They lost a lot of money with the Morley issue, probably one of the reasons why harden chose Nets. Now that Morley is the gm of 76ers,china don't air their games, not even replays.
He is Taiwanese, which is Chinese ethnically. But as you may know, its a group of Chinese that fled China when the communist party took power. But he was a founding member of one of the biggest companies in China. But I dont think he has much interest in pushing mainland China agenda.

Ok?

Change the team you like then if it bothers you so much. The washed players i'm referring to are Griffin and LMA. Drummond is the guy with no impact on winning in his career.

And yes, I think the NBA imporved with Lebron going to Miami. I think the NBA improved with KD going to GSW. It made for interesting storylines. It creates teams people love to hate. Parity is extremely overrated.
The NFL says hi!

Uhh... I don’t quite follow. The point is... Jordan never went ring chasing. He stayed with 1 team and then... when he felt he could no longer be the best... he retired - just like John Stockton and Reggie Miller. The original point was that... LBJ is no Jordan.

Uhh... I don’t quite follow. The point is... Jordan never went ring chasing. He stayed with 1 team and then... when he felt he could no longer be the best... he retired - just like John Stockton and Reggie Miller. The original point was that... LBJ is no Jordan.
LBJ is definitely no Jordan, but he is actually one helluva LeBron James.

big lolzz to those pundits who think noone wanna watch Jazz in the Final when the most watched NBA Final ever features the Jazz.

Super teams are bad for the sport period. There is no more hard work pays off. It’s a participation trophy when the super teams win. Great you won. You were supposed to win! It’s no longer competition of sport. It’s drama / entertainment. And the league questions why ratings are tanking? Why watch if you know the ending....

This is why the Jazz winning it all this year can set in motion a change in the league that is very much needed.

Does the NBA really make more money if big teams make the finals? I mean the advertisers and the tv rights have already paid. Does someone rescind their TV commercial if it is the Bucks and the Jazz? If the NBA were truly concerned enough about ratings to cheat, they would have made many different financial decisions the last few years.

I mean maybe LeBron Jersey kid gets a Mitchell jersey too. NFL makes money no matter who wins the Superbowl.

I don't think the big market teams need to win the chip, but the networks sure like it when the big market teams are competitive. The league's first priority seems to be to promote marketable stars. The next priority is to keep the big media market fan bases engaged. If they can get a big-name star in a big market, that's a win-win.

If the Jazz make the WCF, the networks will do their best to try to hype Mitchell, Conely and Gobert...especially Mitchell.

If the Nets are fully healthy ( and that’s a big if), no one - and I mean NO ONE can beat them.

Yeah, the combination of Harden and Durant alone pretty much puts them over the top. Then they can relegate Irving to attacking 2nd units. It's a lot of offensive firepower. That said, Durant will have missed at least 7 or 8 weeks.