What's new

NBA Free Agency Moves in General (related to the Jazz, but not just moves made by the Jazz)

I think moving Burks is the key here. What would a team charge to make that happen? Philly is no longer the "dump player x and give us a 2nd round pick" team.

Moving Burks doesn't give us THAT much more room. It's like a 2-3 million difference considering we could still sign somebody to the Taxpayer Mid-Level Exception. Moving Burks contract WILL be crucial for next offseason though when we have Favors, Hood and Exum up for new deals.

I think moving Burks is the key here. What would a team charge to make that happen? Philly is no longer the "dump player x and give us a 2nd round pick" team.
We would still only have the MLE if we dump Burks. If you mean so we don't have to pay luxury tax then we have awhile until we have to worry about that. We can trade Burks at the trade deadline and still be okay. Hopefully he is healthy and plays decent, then he might be worth something or at least not have to pay to dump him.

I have a feeling the Jazz may have closed the door on George Hill more so than the other way around.

Hill probably wanted more negotiation but obviously it'll have to be less than the original offer - Hill fires his agent.

Until this summer, I thought I knew exactly how cap holds work. The couple of sites I use show Utah has cap holds in place for Hill, Withey, Mack and the two 1st round picks, but not for Hayward. Spotrac has now updated their cap/cap hold numbers to show Ingles at $11.6M. I think the Ingles signing now counts against the cap, although the contract isn't officially in force until July 6th.

Spotrac site, which I've found updates the fastest, now shows Utah with $98.8m in salary and $25.3m in holds. Salary included Diaw at $7.5M. And the holds which likely come off the books at some point (Withey, Mack, Hill) total $21.3M.
As of right now, every deal is only agreed upon in principle. What order teams do things depends on what else they have up theirs sleeves. Cap holds are in place until one of 3 things happens: A.) the team signs the player to a new contract, B.) the team renounces their cap hold for that player or C.) the player signs a new contract with a different team.

For all intents and purposes, Jingles cap hold should be the $4 million figure until he officially signs that new contract. The Jazz will have cap holds for Hayward, Hill, Withey and Mack until they either renounce those holds or those guys sign a contract somewhere.

Side note - unless Hayward signs elsewhere, the Jazz are operating over the cap due to holds. They only resources they have for additional moves are A.) the Mid Level Exception ($8.4 million which can be split up between more than one player), B.) Minimum contract exceptions, C.) Rookie Contract allowances (which let them sign Mitchell and Bradley - but should also have a hold against the cap) and trading for new players by sending out relatively equal salary (Diaw, Burks and Favors are all candidates for that this year.)

Who has money left for George Hill?

Utah. I'm not so sure that they don't still offer him something. He and Rubio would still be a pretty damn good PG tandem. Bring him back as one of the steady vets. When he was healthy, he was a great fit. Give him a one year deal and then let him hit the market again next year.

Utah. I'm not so sure that they don't still offer him something. He and Rubio would still be a pretty damn good PG tandem. Bring him back as one of the steady vets. When he was healthy, he was a great fit. Give him a one year deal and then let him hit the market again next year.

Tony Jones says the G Hill train has left and under no circumstances is it returning.

We would still only have the MLE if we dump Burks. If you mean so we don't have to pay luxury tax then we have awhile until we have to worry about that. We can trade Burks at the trade deadline and still be okay. Hopefully he is healthy and plays decent, then he might be worth something or at least not have to pay to dump him.
I have seen a lot of talk about hoping burks is healthy and plays well so we can trade him.

What if he is healthy and playing better than he has at any point in his career and the ream is playing great with him having a big role? Do you still dump him? Isn't he on a good contract if he is in fact playing really well? Wouldn't the jazz want to keep a good player on a good contract?

I think we would only have about $7 million in space if we didn't guarantee Diaw and Neto and moved Burks without taking money back.

Does that include Hill's caphold? I imagine the Jazz will renounce his bird rights now that they have Rubio.

I have seen a lot of talk about hoping burks is healthy and plays well so we can trade him.

What if he is healthy and playing better than he has at any point in his career and the ream is playing great with him having a big role? Do you still dump him? Isn't he on a good contract if he is in fact playing really well? Wouldn't the jazz want to keep a good player on a good contract?

If he outplays Hood next season then I think we might keep him but I think that is unlikely. We dont have room for both imo, especially with the amount Hayward and Ingles are taking up and can both play the 2 position as well.

Does that include Hill's caphold? I imagine the Jazz will renounce his bird rights now that they have Rubio.

I am guessing they will hold out as long as possible. Unless we have someone we need to sign and the hold is standing in the way or he signs with another team. I think we could still do a sign and trade with him. My understanding is that regardless of his hold we are over the cap line so we can only do trades or sign someone to the MLE now and Hills hold does not effect that.