What's new

NBA Playoffs

What about this Boston team is significantly different from the past ones that sucked? Their core is essentially the same. But the effort they’re playing with is so significantly different. The coach changed his lineup up a bit to adjust to what Brooklyn was doing. It’s just amazing what a different coach can do. It’s also amazing what happens when you have a few tough guys, like smart, on your team can do. It raises the play of everyone. Even Tatum is playing tough defense. He blocked KD’s shot last night. I just don’t see anyone on our team (other than Rudy) playing with such defensive effort.

I could fully get behind shortening the season to 72 games or something and over the same time frame. Nearly eliminate back to back games. Reduce fatigue and strain on the players. Hell even be able to have the players play most of the games, unlike now when resting games are such a common thing. I am sure they still make money due to ticket sales and TV revenue, but it sure is a bummer when you buy some nice tickets to go see, idk, LBJ or someone and instead they sit their stars to rest for that game. Not a great fan experience. Or the national games where the stars are sitting.

But as long as the cash rolls in they will do nothing different.

Communist. The cash must roll in its the American way.

Fans are just background anyway the real money is in TV.

Even if the series went it 7 with the Pelicans that game would be 9 days from now. Good chance Booker misses Games 1-4 in the second round and maybe the entire second round.

If we struggle beating the Mavs without Doncic, we’d struggle even more beating the Suns without Booker.

Here come Quin and co. looking the gift horse in the mouth and opting on summer vacation.

Here come Quin and co. looking the gift horse in the mouth and opting on summer vacation.

You are literally a top-3 poster on this site. Can we stop with the doom and gloom and continual negativity? I don’t know when this started for you but I don’t like seeing it from you it’s not who you are and not what makes you one of the best posters on this site.

We are tied 1-1 with the chance to go up 2-1 tonight. Until we are knocked from the playoffs if we ever are can we stop with this type of posting?

You are literally a top-3 poster on this site. Can we stop with the doom and gloom and continual negativity? I don’t know when this started for you but I don’t like seeing it from you it’s not who you are and not what makes you one of the best posters on this site.

We are tied 1-1 with the chance to go up 2-1 tonight. Until we are knocked from the playoffs if we ever are can we stop with this type of posting?
That's kind of infection's thing tho

Man, we have to take advantage of this opportunity. The Suns are obviously still good without Booker, but not nearly as deadly. When we have played Phoenix this year, it always seemed like us looking good vs bad against them coincided with Booker being in the game or not.

If we struggle beating the Mavs without Doncic, we’d struggle even more beating the Suns without Booker.

I disagree. It would mean the Suns have to play a lot of Cam Johnson and Landry Shammet, and their bench falls to almost nothing at that point. It's a huge step back, tbh. They could play two PGs with Cam Payne, but that makes them very small.

You'll see how they adjust for the rest of the Pels series, but they're going to struggle in Round 2. Booker is the guy who takes the big shots, especially off the dribble.

Possibly, but at the least the Suns are very limited on primary ball-handlers. It's going to be a lot of Chris Paul, then their next best playmaker is Cameron Payne (who isnt doing nearly as well as last year's version).

I could fully get behind shortening the season to 72 games or something and over the same time frame. Nearly eliminate back to back games. Reduce fatigue and strain on the players. Hell even be able to have the players play most of the games, unlike now when resting games are such a common thing. I am sure they still make money due to ticket sales and TV revenue, but it sure is a bummer when you buy some nice tickets to go see, idk, LBJ or someone and instead they sit their stars to rest for that game. Not a great fan experience. Or the national games where the stars are sitting.

But as long as the cash rolls in they will do nothing different.

I've long been a proponent of a shortened season. Most of the NBA revenue comes from national TV games, so there shouldn't be too big of a hit there. We'd still have the same amount of national TV games and those games would be of higher quality and importance.

People scoff at the idea of a midseason tournament, but I actually love it as a replacement for the lost games. The main argument is that players won't care about the games. To me, that is totally fine because they hardly care about the 82 game season. If you introduce games of less importance, those can be the scheduled rest games for the stars and teams could play a mix of their bench, young players, and G-League players instead. No one will get mad if a star player sits out a game where it's understood that it's not important. But I do understand the frustration and disappointment when NBA players sit out a random night and the consequence of that game isn't much.

Give me 58 RS games and then give me a cup style competition that runs throughout the year so we can see the Jared Butler's of the world get some opportunity. If the players care about the Cup, that's amazing and we have another competition. If they don't, that's also good because we get built rest blocks during the season while still having some games to watch.

I've long been a proponent of a shortened season. Most of the NBA revenue comes from national TV games, so there shouldn't be too big of a hit there. We'd still have the same amount of national TV games and those games would be of higher quality and importance.

People scoff at the idea of a midseason tournament, but I actually love it as a replacement for the lost games. The main argument is that players won't care about the games. To me, that is totally fine because they hardly care about the 82 game season. If you introduce games of less importance, those can be the scheduled rest games for the stars and teams could play a mix of their bench, young players, and G-League players instead. No one will get mad if a star player sits out a game where it's understood that it's not important. But I do understand the frustration and disappointment when NBA players sit out a random night and the consequence of that game isn't much.

Give me 58 RS games and then give me a cup style competition that runs throughout the year so we can see the Jared Butler's of the world get some opportunity. If the players care about the Cup, that's amazing and we have another competition. If they don't, that's also good because we get built rest blocks during the season while still having some games to watch.
The middle season tournament will be awesome. A "lose and you're out" tourney would be fun for everybody. Good, competitive teams will want to add the hardware. Bad teams will want to try their best to make something of what could be a bad overall season. Some superstars might not play, but we all know how excited we get to see the young players get playing time.

As for the season itself, I would probably keep it and shorten the first round of the playoffs. They should go back to best of 5. And I would scrap almost all of the preseason - maybe do 1 game each against your closest opponent. Give every team 1 more roster spot.

The middle season tournament will be awesome. A "lose and you're out" tourney would be fun for everybody. Good, competitive teams will want to add the hardware. Bad teams will want to try their best to make something of what could be a bad overall season. Some superstars might not play, but we all know how excited we get to see the young players get playing time.

As for the season itself, I would probably keep it and shorten the first round of the playoffs. They should go back to best of 5. And I would scrap almost all of the preseason - maybe do 1 game each against your closest opponent. Give every team 1 more roster spot.

I think shorter playoff series would be good for the league from a viewing standpoint, but that really cuts into the money because those are all big games that you're losing.

I think you can kick off the season with a short "group stage" or something along those lines for the midseason tournament. Then you can play out the tournament as the season goes on just as the do in overseas leagues. It's really not a bad thing to have "preseason" type games occur during the year. Like you said...some stars might want to play, but if they don't it's not a huge deal. We'll get to see the young players play in a low pressure environment. Watching young players play is exciting and it's unfortunate that a lot of them only get a chance during the preseason or when there are injuries.

The worst case scenario is that we get scheduled rest days and opportunity for young players to compete. If the teams get motivated to compete and win, which I think they will to some extent, that's a huge plus for the league. I mid season tournament game > random game against tanking team.

The effort that minny and Memphis play with just isn’t seen by our team. Hasn’t been seen for years tbh. Not since we traded Jae and Ricky. Minny is just rollin right now

Last edited: