What's new

NBA Playoffs

Watching Andrew Wiggins play for the Warriors, I'm getting more and more certain our defensive issues isn't about players (of course, size is a thing) so much as about the coach and the culture. Wiggins looks like 1st team all defense out there (plus he's getting all the offensive boards or getting fouled on them).
I don’t know about that. Wiggins was always touted as a potential top defender. He could’ve been a really good defender but we would’ve never known it due to playing so many years in the obscurity of Minnesota.

I actually have concluded the exact opposite, we need a lot more length and athleticism. Even with a defensive minded coach, this jazz team just doesn’t have enough size, speed, or athleticism to hang with the talented teams of the west. No matter how hard our backcourt works, they’re not overcoming the problem of being 2-6 inches shorter than most backcourts. No matter how hard bogey works, he’s not going to be the defender that Jaxon Hayes, Herb Jones, and Draymond are. And Royce? Lol is still just a 8th or 9th man.

We’ve been hemorrhaging away talent for years. And it clearly shows.

Watching Andrew Wiggins play for the Warriors, I'm getting more and more certain our defensive issues isn't about players (of course, size is a thing) so much as about the coach and the culture. Wiggins looks like 1st team all defense out there (plus he's getting all the offensive boards or getting fouled on them).
Wiggins has always been a 1st tier defensive talent. But defense is principally about desire to play it and having pride in it. He found the motivation and reason to do it consistently in a different situation.

That desire has been to a great extent gets coached out of this team. Point your fingers at whoever, but the overall culture is shattered here. Probably kills off any remaining endogenous desire to play defense when relationships are all fractious and awkward.

And actually, if I’m pointing fingers a little then I think Donovan mailing it in and having more power than Quin makes it hard for people to want to buy in.

Westbrook has the free time needed to put this masterpiece together

Russell-Westbrook-Met-Gala.jpg

Our team defense just plain sucks. We dumped all our chips into shooters who, oddly enough, seemingly forgot how to shoot.
I don’t like the idea of funneling everything to Rudy either. Him being good at defense shouldn’t excuse everyone sucking at it. No one attempts to play defense because they hope to stand around, have Rudy bail them out, and then get a head start on a fast break 3. A better strategy imo would be to use Rudy on defense and… gasp… expect the others to also play defense.

Man, watching the Suns destroy the Mavs defense with Booker on the bench and literal Bismack Biyombo at center really goes to show just how dumb the whole "It's Gobert's fault our offense sucked because he clogged the paint" narrative parroted by a few people here was.

JaVale McGee and Bismack Biyombo have literally just caught the ball and dunked it. There is no post moves or offensive game needed. The problem is not Rudy.

I assumed we were going to target Luka when he came back.

Man, we could not have played dumber basketball against these guys.
Me too. Serious question, when was the last time we took advantage of a matchup? Because it seemed to me like we ran the same game plan no matter who the opponent was. I don’t ever recall is seeing a matchup and continuously exploiting it.

Why didn’t we go after Kleber? Bertrans? Luka? All of them are orange cones on defense. I guess it would’ve required actually trying to execute the offense instead of chucking up some lazy 3.