What's new

NBA Playoffs

Scary thing for the Mavs is that the Suns are doing a lot of damage to them with minimal Chris Paul involvement. Suns are just firing on all cylinders then they throw the CP3 knockout at you.

Ayton saw the ball more in that first half than I saw Gobert/Whiteside have it for the entire series. Would’ve been nice if we could’ve established an inside game at some point of that last series. But I guess that’s too hard. Much easier to just CJ miles it and cast away the first crap you can.

Ayton saw the ball more in that first half than I saw Gobert/Whiteside have it for the entire series. Would’ve been nice if we could’ve established an inside game at some point of that last series. But I guess that’s too hard. Much easier to just CJ miles it and cast away the first crap you can.
Tough to establish an inside game with your bigs' only offensive skillset is catching lobs. Bogey was our only players with a back to the basket repertoire.

Suns giving up a lot of 3's, but they are swarming to the ball handler and helping a lot. The 3's are a bit more chaotic than the ones Utah gave up, which seemed more precise and surgical.

Suns rea
Tough to establish an inside game with your bigs' only offensive skillset is catching lobs. Bogey was our only players with a back to the basket repertoire.
I mean, Whiteside has deep post game, we never gave him the ball.

I get that with the bigs the Jazz had, it is hard to really rely on them offensively, but Utah also did nothing creative to get them involved and we limit our bigs individual offensive involvement by design.

Like, I do think Rudy could potentially develop a 10-15 jumper like Ayton has (not as good though, obviously Ayton has very high level touch), and that would make the offense more varied, but Utah is really married to it's moneyball which means bigs should never shoot outside of 3 feet.

Suns rea

I mean, Whiteside has deep post game, we never gave him the ball.

I get that with the bigs the Jazz had, it is hard to really rely on them offensively, but Utah also did nothing creative to get them involved and we limit our bigs individual offensive involvement by design.

Like, I do think Rudy could potentially develop a 10-15 jumper like Ayton has (not as good though, obviously Ayton has very high level touch), and that would make the offense more varied, but Utah is really married to it's moneyball which means bigs should never shoot outside of 3 feet.
This is where I feel Quin gets real stuck on missing the application of his statistical analysis. He accounts for only the most basic of variables and their most concrete relationships. To use your example (it could be a myriad of others), Rudy shooting somewhat below average on (presumably open) jumpers — which may be a poor percentage relative to wide-open averages, but perhaps within normal ranges for contested jumpers — may not be statistically optimal, but the changing dynamics (not easily represented in a statistical model) also change as a result, which goes back to a tree falling in the forest.

That hurts.
It does. I remember just a few years ago just obliterating the Suns. Gobert and the gang were dunking on them. They had a few stiff centers that just looked silly against our dominant frontline. Booker scored a lot. I seem to remember an issue against us where he got upset that he didn't get the final shot. He ended up yelling at someone for not passing him the ball? Does this ring a bell? They were just an awful team, one of the worst in the league.

Then they got Ayton. Got rid of some of their stiffs. And got serious about getting longer and more athletic. Now suddenly they've making us look pathetic.