What's new

NBA Top Shot

Ron Mexico

Contributor
Is anyone here buying or collecting these? I just got started and got my first pack recently which had a few Jazz players in it. I bought a bunch of Jazz players for cheap a few weeks ago and I am going to hold on to them. They could jump in price if we win big in the playoffs. I bought probably 10 Jazz cards for $3-$20 and even a week later they are all worth 5-10x that. Its still in beta so I think after that it will jump a lot.

Its crazy how much money some of these cards are going for. Its a pretty cool concept though for cards combining old school card collecting with new block chain currency stuff. Getting a pack is pretty hard though. They keep having technical issues and delaying it which is a pain for me in a different time zone. Plus they always sell out. So they put everyone randomly in the que that is there a few minutes before the sale. Then you have to wait and usually you don't get in. The first pack I bought was a high end card pack that cost $200. But one of the cards in the pack is probably worth around $1000 and rising. It could definitely sell for $400 right away though since a bunch sold for that price today. But none as low as my card number, one a little lower than mine just sold for $2,900. The card I got isnt a particularly good card from that pack. If you got a pack you were guaranteed one of 23 rare rising stars cards. If you were lucky and got one of the Lamelo Ball cards its worth a minimum of $5,000. If you got really lucky and got his jersey number or the #1 card it could be worth a ton.

www.nbatopshot.com

This is only minorly Jazz related so feel free to bump to general sports if you feel mods.

I hadn't heard of this until I saw Rudy mention it and did some research. Interesting idea.

Sent from my moto z3 using JazzFanz mobile app

I had thought of this idea for cards before. Interesting use of the blockchain piece of it.

Is anyone here buying or collecting these? I just got started and got my first pack recently which had a few Jazz players in it. I bought a bunch of Jazz players for cheap a few weeks ago and I am going to hold on to them. They could jump in price if we win big in the playoffs. I bought probably 10 Jazz cards for $3-$20 and even a week later they are all worth 5-10x that. Its still in beta so I think after that it will jump a lot.

Its crazy how much money some of these cards are going for. Its a pretty cool concept though for cards combining old school card collecting with new block chain currency stuff. Getting a pack is pretty hard though. They keep having technical issues and delaying it which is a pain for me in a different time zone. Plus they always sell out. So they put everyone randomly in the que that is there a few minutes before the sale. Then you have to wait and usually you don't get in. The first pack I bought was a high end card pack that cost $200. But one of the cards in the pack is probably worth around $1000 and rising. It could definitely sell for $400 right away though since a bunch sold for that price today. But none as low as my card number, one a little lower than mine just sold for $2,900. The card I got isnt a particularly good card from that pack. If you got a pack you were guaranteed one of 23 rare rising stars cards. If you were lucky and got one of the Lamelo Ball cards its worth a minimum of $5,000. If you got really lucky and got his jersey number or the #1 card it could be worth a ton.

www.nbatopshot.com

This is only minorly Jazz related so feel free to bump to general sports if you feel mods.

I been in the game for a while... I'm an OG... basically like 3-4 weeks.

Seriously though I started with about $600 in moments I flipped for about $800... got a premium pack and a rising star pack... I flipped everything in them. I have like $1,500 in my dapper account and 5-6 moments in inventory... I have a pre-order pack coming at some point this week.

I sell everything right away. I don't understand this stuff really well but the people that do think its a bubble. Can't lose money buying packs right now but I wouldn't buy any moments on the marketplace and I liquidate basically everything. The original intent was to have enough packs to always have them available for purchase... so I would think the market would get flooded. They have so much interest right now that they may deviate and keep supply low. I think its a fad that will bubble up in value right now but will crash at some point... then is the big buying opportunity if it survives after that long term. If I would have put like $5k into it when I first heard about it I could ****ing retire... smdh.

Which rising star did you get... I sold Facundo Compazzo for $400... also got a Giannis in the pack I sold for $260.

With my doomsday prediction there is also the chance this goes bonkers in China or that Lebron starts tweeting an talking about it and it goes supernova for a while. I wouldn't hold anything long term unless it was Luka, Zion, Giannis, Lebron, Lamelo though.

I already cashed out and am up 150% so I'm playing with house money.

Someone’s going to have to dumb this down even more for me because I’m only skimming through these massive articles explaining what it is. What’s the tl;dr? It’s basically digital cards of plays? It seems this takes the fun out of the tangibility of cards.

The whole thing feels like a bubble to me. Props to anyone who has made money off it in the short-term, but I'll be surprised if this is still a thing years from now.

Can a collection based thing sustain itself solely by people trying to make money? Is anyone collecting these NFT's to actually collect them in the same way someone would records/cards/etc?

Someone’s going to have to dumb this down even more for me because I’m only skimming through these massive articles explaining what it is. What’s the tl;dr? It’s basically digital cards of plays? It seems this takes the fun out of the tangibility of cards.
It's more about making money.

Who knows though. Maybe in the future cyber stuff will become so advanced that there will actually only be 10 copies of a random Lebron dunk and you have to own it to actually watch it.

Its bitcoin for NBA cards.

I did it because it was clear there was some quick/fun cash in it. I am staying in it because my 13 year old son is now fascinated with it and we are connecting with this activity at a level that we really haven't in many other things.

the fun days of collecting physical cards are still out there... but the ones that are worth real money is not a fun game... its big investors. This marketplace is much easier to deal with imo if you are into "collectibles".

Not sure this will replace cards... but you also have to think in terms of the future... you and I would show our binder of cards to our bros... well now the kids are increasing online... anyone can go see your collection online. I think this may be more appealing to those under 30... not completely sure... but its kinda fun.

I would not buy any moments (cards for us old timers) in the marketplace. I would sign up for an account and join the pack drops when they happen. Packs are free money if you are lucky enough to score one.

The whole thing feels like a bubble to me. Props to anyone who has made money off it in the short-term, but I'll be surprised if this is still a thing years from now.

Can a collection based thing sustain itself solely by people trying to make money? Is anyone collecting these NFT's to actually collect them in the same way someone would records/cards/etc?
I have news for you... card collecting is also about making money now.

I don't know how sustainable it is at all. I do think its still early. I think some version of this will be around for years... I think it will bubble and crash... what comes out of the rubble will be the sustainable product.

Get an account and buy packs is all I can say... its free money. I got a premium pack this weekend for $199. Basically got about as bad a pack as you could get with Facundo Compazzo being my "rare" I flipped it for $400... sold a few other moments for $350... so I'm up $500 plus with a couple leftover cards. If I had landed Lamelo its going for $4k+

Buying and flipping cards in the marketplace will lose you money imo.

Also, trying to complete the challenges seems like a big potential loser.

All I am doing is buying packs with my son now and its a little free money and great bonding time as my 13 year old schemes up ways to make this his professional career.

I don't know how sustainable it is at all. I do think its still early. I think some version of this will be around for years... I think it will bubble and crash... what comes out of the rubble will be the sustainable product.

Get an account and buy packs is all I can say... its free money. I got a premium pack this weekend for $199. Basically got about as bad a pack as you could get with Facundo Compazzo being my "rare" I flipped it for $400... sold a few other moments for $350... so I'm up $500 plus with a couple leftover cards. If I had landed Lamelo its going for $4k+
Where are you selling it?

Yeah, I made an account last month when it all started. Thought it was just bogus tho. Maybe Ill buy a pack. They only drop on weekends, right?

Behind 7/11 while @Hearsky 's mom is "working".

Kidding... thats the cool thing its all on their platform... its all transparent too... you can see the prices. Also if you are into it check out evaluate.market free website will value cards and accounts for you.

Behind 7/11 while @Hearsky 's mom is "working".

Kidding... thats the cool thing its all on their platform... its all transparent too... you can see the prices. Also if you are into it check out evaluate.market free website will value cards and accounts for you.
I was intrigued by the hearsky's mom option, but I will check out the website too.

He's selling in the marketplace, he's just saying you shouldn't buy single cards to flip them. You buy packs (which drop at a certain time and you have to get lucky to get one) then sell those at the marketplace.

Or at least thats what I think.

He's selling in the marketplace, he's just saying you shouldn't buy single cards to flip them. You buy packs (which drop at a certain time and you have to get lucky to get one) then sell those at the marketplace.

Or at least thats what I think.
Yeah... You also might want to buy one moment (just a cheap one or one you want to collect) because for the premium pack drop you had to have one moment to join the queue.

On the basic packs they go for $9 or $14 dollars and you get 3 moments. The lowest price moment is $8 I think right now... packs are free money if you luck out.

There is a Jordan Clarkson one that is listing for $6500.

My question is why does anyone actually buy these things in the marketplace? Are they all just looking to flip? So someone might buy the Clarkson one for 6500 and think they can flip it for 8k or something?

Also everything is sold out. When do the new ones drop, someone said on the weekend, is that right?

Here is the Clarkson one...

JC Snip.PNG