What's new

New Assistant Coach?

Don't have a link on-hand, but Im pretty sure the Washington Wizards wanted to hire him as an assistant coach.

and PS he was the assistant coach on two ECF runs while he was with the Pistons; its not like the guy has never come partially close to success in his coaching career, though his NCAA coaching stint is more or less underwhelming

Nobody knows what any team is going to be like after the lockout. I think we need to take our new Jazz team with an open mind. I think there are going to be a lot of players that were decent prior to lockout that may come back as a bust, due to lack of extended offseason conditioning. I also feel that it go the other way. I feel like the Jazz have a lot of guys that are hard workers by nature, and will return with an edge over the average NBA player. We've got new coaches that you know are going to work hard just to prove themselves worthy of NBA acceptance. And guys like Jefferson, Milsap, Hayward, Favors, AK are not going to let their offseason pass them by. We have nothing to worry about- hopefully.

I don't know about his coaching ability, but he seems like a likeable enough guy from the interviews I've watched of him on Youtube. Our coaching staff as a whole does kind of give rise to questions like, "Is this an NBA team?" though. But then again, it's hard to evaluate coaching staffs by any measure other than W's and L's so we'll see what happens.

Heard corbin on the radio that we will be surprised by it. I can't remember if he said it that way but it seemed it was someone fans might know.
If this is Corbin's idea of a surprise he is obviously a very good fit with Randy Rigby who thinks that an exciting surprise is announcing the formation of the Jazz Rowdies.

He really screwed the pooch with Ryan Harrow. That's about all I know of him. Pretty crappy hire if you ask me. As long as he doesn't go near Hayward or Favors than I don't care.

Okay, I promised to find another topic, but that's challenging these days. I'm just not sure what a guy brings to the table that's given 5 years to coach NC State, brought in lottery type talent, but never even MADE IT to the NCAA tourney. Not first or second round losses, but never made the field of 64. I'm not asking for an assistant to be a world beater .. I am simply asking what is he good at/bring to the table?

And guys like Jefferson, Milsap, Hayward, Favors, AK are not going to let their offseason pass them by. We have nothing to worry about- hopefully.
Because AK has a long history of improving his shooting and physique every year?

As for the topic, who knows? I imagine basketball is not unlike football. Some guys are great offensive or defensive coordinators, but lousy head coaches. There are a lot of administrative issues to deal with as a head coach. For example, I often think Sloan should have paid more attention to coaching and less to personnel duties. Certainly many of the wasted drafts over the years - if Sloan had as much power as we suspect - may have supported that.

Lowe could come and make a huge impact with the young players. I don't want to make this a race issue, but fact is most players are NOT white. Having a coaching staff become more representative of the racial mix of the players may help.

Because AK has a long history of improving his shooting and physique every year?

As for the topic, who knows? I imagine basketball is not unlike football. Some guys are great offensive or defensive coordinators, but lousy head coaches. There are a lot of administrative issues to deal with as a head coach. For example, I often think Sloan should have paid more attention to coaching and less to personnel duties. Certainly many of the wasted drafts over the years - if Sloan had as much power as we suspect - may have supported that.

Lowe could come and make a huge impact with the young players. I don't want to make this a race issue, but fact is most players are NOT white. Having a coaching staff become more representative of the racial mix of the players may help.

I'm baffled by this. Most of these kids have grown up playing for white coaches. Ty is black anyway. I'm not hating on your post and I'm sure neither of us care which color our coach or assistants are .. but I just don't see how it's all that relevant to hiring Lowe.

Okay, I promised to find another topic, but that's challenging these days. I'm just not sure what a guy brings to the table that's given 5 years to coach NC State, brought in lottery type talent, but never even MADE IT to the NCAA tourney. Not first or second round losses, but never made the field of 64. I'm not asking for an assistant to be a world beater .. I am simply asking what is he good at/bring to the table?
Who? Define "lottery type". I'll give a definition of a lottery-type talent: Josh Selby. Lottery talent gets drafted even if they stink it up in college. Where are all the NC State players like that?

Who? Define "lottery type". I'll give a definition of a lottery-type talent: Josh Selby. Lottery talent gets drafted even if they stink it up in college. Where are all the NC State players like that?

CJ Leslie is an absolute lottery type talent. I know it's only an opinion, but I think Leslie would have not dropped so far had he picked any one of a dozen other schools that develop talent and play a system that allows a player to showcase their talents.

Ryan Harrow is blossoming fast (no link) and is now listed #10 (DX) for the next draft.

Are you saying that Lowe didn't develop young player's talent, use match-up advantages or design plays especially for young developing players?

Sounds like a Jazzman to me.

CJ Leslie is an absolute lottery type talent. I know it's only an opinion, but I think Leslie would have not dropped so far had he picked any one of a dozen other schools that develop talent and play a system that allows a player to showcase their talents.

Ryan Harrow is blossoming fast (no link) and is now listed #10 (DX) for the next draft.
So your argument is that because he didn't take his team to the NCAA tournament with what rivals.com deemed to be the 14th best 2010 prospect last season (yep, he was a freshman), Sidney Lowe is a bad coach? That's a terrible argument.

So your argument is that because he didn't take his team to the NCAA tournament with what rivals.com deemed to be the 14th best 2010 prospect last season (yep, he was a freshman), Sidney Lowe is a bad coach? That's a terrible argument.

Umm, no. The fact that he had 5 years to do something and averaged about 6 games per season (or whatever it was) and seemed to have all of his players regress under his watch .. that's more of the argument .. but I did give other reasons inside this thread.

By the way, I didn't realize there was an argument here .. only opinions. Now that you've let me know it's an argument, how about provide the opposing view. So far, the best supporting stance has been that all his failures don't necessarily mean he'll fail next time. Anything better?

Umm, no. The fact that he had 5 years to do something and averaged about 6 games per season (or whatever it was) and seemed to have all of his players regress under his watch .. that's more of the argument .. but I did give other reasons inside this thread.

By the way, I didn't realize there was an argument here .. only opinions. Now that you've let me know it's an argument, how about provide the opposing view. So far, the best supporting stance has been that all his failures don't necessarily mean he'll fail next time. Anything better?

Success as a head coach does predict success as an assistant coach. Any opinion, as you want to call it, that's based on his head coaching record is fairly fallible when trying to predict his ability as an assistant.

Success as a head coach does predict success as an assistant coach. Any opinion, as you want to call it, that's based on his head coaching record is fairly fallible when trying to predict his ability as an assistant.

Maybe right. I've still yet to see anyone state a specific reason they feel it's a value hire. Honestly, I'm not even sure why I'm still in this thread other than I was curious if anyone had any reason to think Lowe should be a good assistant.

I'm not saying that AK has a history of improving his shooting or Physique. Im saying that AK can bounce back from adversity and put things in the past to return as a better defender. AK got a lot of crap for crying during an ESPN interview because he felt he let the team down. How many Jazzmen have excepted the blame for a loss in the last 10 years?? He didnt point his finger at teamates, he blamed himself.
And he has almost always provided a spark in defense when the team needed it. When he was having issues with Sloan he put his head down and went to work. He fixes his problems by attempting to do his part. It kills me when fanz say his shooting isnt improving. If you would actually watch a game or two, you would see that when the rest of the team is choking AK has the balls to put the ball on the floor and get to the line. Hes not afraid to take a hit. His wild play occurs when the rest of the team is looking scared and stagnet.

I'm not saying that AK has a history of improving his shooting or Physique. Im saying that AK can bounce back from adversity and put things in the past to return as a better defender. AK got a lot of crap for crying during an ESPN interview because he felt he let the team down. How many Jazzmen have excepted the blame for a loss in the last 10 years?? He didnt point his finger at teamates, he blamed himself.

He blamed himself for not getting touches? That's odd.

He blamed himself for not getting touches? That's odd.

HUH?? What?? Your wizard of ozz avitar should have been the tin man (for not having a brain). In the 2003 interview he said that he felt he needed to do everything he could to help the team win, and he let the team down. I know the interview that you are talking about, which is completely different to the one I'm referring too, but its Ok. Your probably still asking your parents for school lunch money.