What's new

New Orleans Pelicans?

I laughed when I heard they wanted to change their names to the pelicans. And I would agree that it sounds like something a youth league would name their team. Is it just me, or has all the creativity been extinguished when it comes to naming teams?

On another note, and probably in bad taste but....... The first name that popped into my head for NO was the hurricanes....

yes, teams should all have names like the Billikens (St. Louis U) or the Hoosiers or the Knitting Knees Lions

!

Well, the all-time lamest may have been the "Mighty Ducks" after Disney founded the Anaheim team. Imagine being a pro athlete and having to play for a team named after a children's movie about a bunch of peewees. And knowing that the franchise was more about marketing the Disney movies than about actually playing pro hockey.

BTW, my favorite all-time team name is a college one: the UC Santa Cruz Banana Slugs.

UC-Santa-Cruz-Banana-Slugs_display_image.jpg

I love the New Orleans name. Just wait until they start selling underwear with their logo on it; I can't wait to get me some of those Pelican Briefs!

I'm not a fan of Pelican's either and like most NOLA basketball fans, we would love to be the Jazz again, but it's you guy's name now and that is out of the question, but a music based name like "Brass" or "Krewe" for the mardi gras reference would've been more fitting.