What's new

News, rumors and buzz around the draft and free agency

What is Portland doing? They are letting Aminu, Turner AND Harkless all go in the same offseason? They are sacrificing a ton of wing defenders.

Yeah, this seems like a very odd move. They dont need Whiteside when they have Nurkic as their starter.

Portland is making themselves worse which is good for the Jazz. I am not sure how they are going to build a good team going forward especially with Lillards contract exploding. They dont have cap space to do much going forward.

"when healthy"

Name all the NBA players who came back a significant fraction of their prior performance level after torn ACL. (Hint: there is only one player)

The odds of Durant coming back a top 5 player are infinitesimally small. He'll probably still be top 30-50ish, as he can still shoot over people.
From a torn ACL there are a ton of players.

From a torn achilles there have been a few. I already listed them. There is no way he drops off that far. That is just hopefully hater talk from someone who does not like Durant. Matthews, Boogie, Gay, and Wilkins have all bounced back from this injury just fine. The players that have not were already about to retire anyways and well past their prime. Billups and Kobe were not going to be good players at that point anyways regardless of their injury. There are also tons of examples of players in other sports that have come back. Athletes can get back to full strength after this injury with proper rehab and hard work. Durant is notorious for working hard, I feel pretty good about him making a solid comeback even if he is slightly less athletic.

They are gonna need it to pay Lillard that supermax...

Yeah maybe they avoid the tax. The big athletic forward... either Aminu or Harkless has been a key to their defense holding up.

I’m guessing this means they’re not expecting Nurkic to play this year
Oh, yeah. I guess that is true I forgot about that. They still are not going to be a good team. They lost a lot of depth and not have a lot of financial flexibility going forward. I expect them to be a playoff team if Lillard and CJ are healthy but probably more of a 6-8 seed.

Yeah maybe they avoid the tax. The big athletic forward... either Aminu or Harkless has been a key to their defense holding up.

Looks like Harkless, Leonard and Whiteside are all on expiring deals. And Whiteside makes around $5 million more than those two. I guess Portland really thinks Whiteside is a game changer for them. And maybe Portland is fine going with Bazemore and Hood on the perimeter.

Still kind of bizarre.

Sad. I was kinda hoping to hear of the fireworks between Butler and Whiteside lol. It would have been an MJ/Kwame Brown situation all over again

That is sad news for Gobert. As far as the Jazz go they are better off grabbing a different vet min guy for the 3rd PG position. But I also think our new rookie might fill that role anyways. Neto played well but was hurt too much for that role. He was a nice fun guy to watch. I hope he can finally get healthy and help a team out.

That is sad news for Gobert. As far as the Jazz go they are better off grabbing a different vet min guy for the 3rd PG position. But I also think our new rookie might fill that role anyways. Neto played well but was hurt too much for that role. He was a nice fun guy to watch. I hope he can finally get healthy and help a team out.

We are going with older mature guys we will scoop up a pg I'm sure of it

From a torn ACL there are a ton of players.

From a torn achilles there have been a few. I already listed them. There is no way he drops off that far. That is just hopefully hater talk from someone who does not like Durant. Matthews, Boogie, Gay, and Wilkins have all bounced back from this injury just fine. The players that have not were already about to retire anyways and well past their prime. Billups and Kobe were not going to be good players at that point anyways regardless of their injury. There are also tons of examples of players in other sports that have come back. Athletes can get back to full strength after this injury with proper rehab and hard work. Durant is notorious for working hard, I feel pretty good about him making a solid comeback even if he is slightly less athletic.

I meant achilles.

Are you sure a less athletic Durant is still top 5?

I love Durant, but nice guess on the "hater." Always a good strategy to take the the personal attacks when your argument is weak.

Wilkins yes. Boogie, how do you know? Wesley Matthews, you're not serious, are you? he is inching back. Gay's game changed dramatically.

We'll see, I hope I am wrong because Durant's game is a thing of beauty.

We are going with older mature guys we will scoop up a pg I'm sure of it

I would guess that as well but it might be after summer league to see what we have with Justin Wright-Foreman. I would like a decent vet to be there in case Exum gets hurt again or struggles early.

I would guess that as well but it might be after summer league to see what we have with Justin Wright-Foreman. I would like a decent vet to be there in case Exum gets hurt again or struggles early.

That's almost a given with Dante, these 3 second rounders will make the squad

I meant achilles.

Are you sure a less athletic Durant is still top 5?

I love Durant, but nice guess and sweet ad hominem attack.

Wilkins yes. Boogie, how do you know? Wesley Matthews, you're not serious, are you? he is inching back. Gay's game changed dramatically.

We'll see, I hope I am wrong because Durant's game is a thing of beauty.

I am not positive he is still top 5 but I think that is the safest bet with him.

Boogie was moving very well again before the newest injury. Gays game did change but he became more efficient and honestly more helpful with helping his team actually win.

Studies of athletes in general show that they suffer for about 1-2 years after the injury. But that if they keep playing and make it back that after 2 years they are at the same level as similar athletes who dont suffer the injury. The biggest risk is that 30% dont come back to playing but I am positive this isnt the case for Durant. He will be back for the 20/21 season but wont be full strength until the end of that season.

I wouldn't mind leaving a roster spot open for the trade deadline. A handful of rotation players get waived every season and the teams with some money reap the waiver wire.