What's new

News, rumors and buzz around the draft and free agency

I guess I’m officially in on Portis now. Hopefully if it happens he D’s up but I think there’s reason to believe that will happen.

I was always worried about Mirotic’s personality and this confirms that.
I'm not sure how to feel about Bobby Portis. I think I liked him as a prospect more than the player he's become in the league. I really hope we don't give him some stupid number. Anything more than the full MLE is overpay, IMO.

I think I just prefer us to keep Favors to be honest.

That is about MArket value for Harrison Barnes, he is a solid starter in this league, Harrison Barnes plays markedly stronger defense than anyone else they have at that SF/PF combo spot......

4 years ~85MM.. thats about right...

I swear do y'all remember the old Harrison BArnes thread i made? @Wes Mantooth is still bitter to this very day..

The point I'd always make is that he's actually still trade-able at a high value, and seeing a deal like this confirms it remember we're talking about an Olympic gold Medalist and NBA champion here... Still pretty young too..

Christian Laetnner was an Olympic Gold Medalist. Who cares?

I'm sure your pessimistic mind thinks that. Whomp whomp, poor you and your teams you Cheer for.

Me a pessimist? Nah, I'm a beacon of light and hope in a sea of gloom. But with this particular issue my light is shining on the rocks ahead. You wouldn't call a light house a hater, nor should I be characterized thus.

Let's continue this conversation later, say June of 2022?

Lol Tony Jones thinks that the Lakers won't be able to find any talent at all to play for the veteran minimum if they had LeBron/AD/Kawhi/Kuzma. His homer is showing.

I f****** hate the Lakers but I'm not delusional. No I don't think players will give up tens of millions to go there for dirt cheap. But they would find talent good enough to be rotation players for cheap. We've seen it with every "superteam"

Lakers need Defense. Show me some high level defender who is going to get paid peanuts to be one of the only defenders on the team. You can get chuckers for the minimum, people serious about their craft like to get paid.

Kawaii isn't going there.

Portis is restricted so the Wiz can match and we got nothing.

But him signing an offer sheet shows the Jazz can attract free agents and the FO was aggressive...

Plus it gets Portis name in the news, so he wins.

And washington locks him up at a price dictated by someone else so they avoid some of the criticism of overpaying.

Portis is only a shooter. That's all he can do. Please no. Especially for the money he'll get. Favors is better.

He rebounds and defends okay. He's not a super defender but he can slow guys down on switches and defends the post pretty well. His passing isn't terrible. I think he can deliver a steady 14 or so points per night with 4 or 5 3-pt attempts.

Lets say he puts up 14/8 and keeps our defense in tact. He'd also open up a couple mil in space to go after a wing.

I think the Jazz are pretty clearly moving on from Favors.

He rebounds and defends okay. He's not a super defender but he can slow guys down on switches and defends the post pretty well. His passing isn't terrible. I think he can deliver a steady 14 or so points per night with 4 or 5 3-pt attempts.
Portis has become a horrible defender. Shockingly so I might say. He was supposed to be versatile and high impact and high energy defender coming out of college and he's turned into something completely different. He makes no plays, his effort is questionable, he hasn't turned into a rim protector and is lackluster on the perimeter.

Locke talking about Tobias makes me wonder if the FO is going after him now

It's funny how he's talking about it after Tony said it ain't gon happen and riling up the twitter fanbase again. I'm sure if the FO could swing it they would do it, but Locke has also been on vacation so he might be behind on some stuff. If we somehow signed Harris, wouldn't we essentially have the same amount of money to give out to FAs as if Favors stays? Room MLE and mins? It'd just be replacing Fav/Exum with Harris.

Portis has become a horrible defender. Shockingly so I might say. He was supposed to be versatile and high impact and high energy defender coming out of college and he's turned into something completely different. He makes no plays, his effort is questionable, he hasn't turned into a rim protector and is lackluster on the perimeter.
That's fine. We need his shooting more than his defense. Booz wasnt much of a defender either

Toxic environments can destroy a player’s morale and effort. I am going to attribute it to that.

I think Utah goes after Harris if his market drops, and money runs out. It's possible, but not likely at all.

I think Utah looks at Portis, but they have to waive Favors in order to make an offer that could get matched. That's risky. I don't think they do that without certainty they can get him, and at a price that allows them to sign at least two other players.

I think the most likely scenario is that Favors returns, which I'm more than ok with. The only year that he got to play with Rudy and a PG that could shoot, that lineup did very well (+23) even though Favors himself struggled as he returned from and dealt with injuries. I'm not sure Portis is the right answer. Questionable defense, good 3-pt shooter, but the man is 6'10 and shot the same percentage on 2-pointers as Ricky Rubio last year.