What's new

News, rumors and buzz around the draft and free agency

He rebounds and defends okay. He's not a super defender but he can slow guys down on switches and defends the post pretty well. His passing isn't terrible. I think he can deliver a steady 14 or so points per night with 4 or 5 3-pt attempts.

Lets say he puts up 14/8 and keeps our defense in tact. He'd also open up a couple mil in space to go after a wing.

I think the Jazz are pretty clearly moving on from Favors.

I'll give people the rebounding argument. I should have given him some credit there. He's atrocious on defense though. He averages more turnovers than assists and a higher turnover % than assist %. And he is inefficient on offense. How is a near 7 foot tall big shooting 45% from the field? Especially when his three point shooting percentage is 39% from his career. He's become one dimensional on offense and completely ineffective inside the arc.

I'll give people the rebounding argument. I should have given him some credit there. He's atrocious on defense though. He averages more turnovers than assists and a higher turnover % than assist %. And he is inefficient on offense. How is a near 7 foot tall big shooting 45% from the field? Especially when his three point shooting percentage is 39% from his career. He's become one dimensional on offense and completely ineffective inside the arc.

The Jazz must see things they like with him. Keep in mind, the teams and coaching situations he's played with so far haven't been great. We're talking Bulls and Wizards here.

At Portis' age, Tobias also shoots about 45% from the floor but much lower % from 3. And his AtO ratio is about 1 to 1.

Look at the team and the coaches he has played with. Who's running the pick and roll with him? If he comes to the Jazz, he will develop because what he already does well, we need and what he doesn't do well can be taught. I still like Favors, but I just feel like this is what is happening.

A couple of days ago reports said Portis wanted 16m a year and the Wizards wouldn’t match that.

Wouldn’t be surprised to see a 3-year 45m offer from us.

Harris would be amazing but Portis would not be a bad addition at all. We could use his shooting very much.

I guess I’m officially in on Portis now. Hopefully if it happens he D’s up but I think there’s reason to believe that will happen.

I was always worried about Mirotic’s personality and this confirms that.

I prefer us chase Rudy Gay instead of Portis. I’d be fine with Bobby at the right price... I just think since he’s restricted and has a somewhat inflated sense of his value (reportedly turned down like 4/50 and is seeking like 16M a year) I worry we overpay.

I’d want to get him around 8-12M and not sure that happens. At least he’s youngish so you could project some improvement.

Lakers need Defense. Show me some high level defender who is going to get paid peanuts to be one of the only defenders on the team. You can get chuckers for the minimum, people serious about their craft like to get paid.

Kawaii isn't going there.
Andre Roberson would probably be cheap

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

I prefer us chase Rudy Gay instead of Portis. I’d be fine with Bobby at the right price... I just think since he’s restricted and has a somewhat inflated sense of his value (reportedly turned down like 4/50 and is seeking like 16M a year) I worry we overpay.

I’d want to get him around 8-12M and not sure that happens. At least he’s youngish so you could project some improvement.

I'm thinking right around 12.5

Teams have to overpay to pull in a restricted FA. Washington's finances are a mess though.

I think Portis would do far better for Quinn Snyder than he did for the wizards. I mean, what a ****ing **** team they are.

It would be a rescue of his soul just as much as of his game.

Portis has become a horrible defender. Shockingly so I might say. He was supposed to be versatile and high impact and high energy defender coming out of college and he's turned into something completely different. He makes no plays, his effort is questionable, he hasn't turned into a rim protector and is lackluster on the perimeter.
He's a modern tweener. Not quick enough to guard 4's and no rim protection ability.