What's new

NFL Offseason

My Broncos traded out of the first round...wonder what they do with this.

I was a little surprised myself at this move.
Being an Aggie fan, I hope to see the Broncos take Robert Turbin in the 3rd round. Since they did trade out of the 1st, and Tampa took Doug Martin from BSU it may happen now :cool:

Sent from my MZ505 using Tapatalk 2

Well, with Richardson and Weeden Cleveland makes the safety want to box in and cheat out at the same time. Weeden is an elite thrower and has beaten every other good QB in this draft including the 3 guys drafted ahead of him. Brandon's older but being able to use the whole field rather than about 15 yards would make it worth it. I don't know if you saw the Sport Science bit where he was nailing clay pigeons, here it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=fji2EeqkcZs

I don't know if he would have been there at 37 or not. In any case that isn't a big deal since either the guy is a hit or he isn't. A 22 year old player that can't play is just as much a failure, and a team that has started about 20 guys since 1999 isn't going to care about their pick having somewhat of a shorter shelf life. The leadership and maturity could be an advantage because the weight of all these years of desperation within the fanbase is a heavy burden.

The Browns weren't going to take a guard there. If you're saying this is a keystone pick for the current regime I agree. Weeden has to succeed or these guys will be gone. From the research I've done he is a decent bet to do so. Keep in mind the Browns practically fell over themselves running to the podium with those picks. These 2 guys were their picks all along.

I don't mind admitting I'm selling myself on him a little. I wanted Reiff when he fell. But as a prospect Weeden is miles above any QB we have drafted since Couch. I guarantee if this dude has a good year people will start bringing up Starbaugh and Warner.

These were not their two picks all along. As reported by most everyone, they wanted the WR from Baylor and when he was gone, they went with Weeden. I stand by what I said. It's a completely moronic move based on how good Decastro rates out and how often qb's (Big 12 ones at that) fail. They could have had a blue chipper in Decastro, continued their draft this year, filling in their holes, see how Colt does, and then if they suck again, which I assume they will, gone after Barkley or one of the other more highly touted qb's (Greene, etc.) who should be coming out next year. Just dumb on so many levels. But hey, I'm sure Weeden will love throwing to bunch of ****heads.

Stab at top 10 2nd round:

Rams #33 Stephen Hill WR
Colts #34 Coby Fleener TE
Ravens #35 Peter Konz C
Denver #36 Jerel Worthy DT
Cleveland #37 Cordy Glenn OT
Jacksonville #38 Janoris Jenkins CB
St Louis #39 Jonathan Martin OT
Carolina #40 Trumaine Johnson CB
Buffalo #41 Mike Adams OT
Miami #42 Reuben Randle WR

IMO Cleveland is targeting Hill so if StL goes OT or one of the other WRs they'll take him and trade up for whatever is left at OT maybe Massie at the end of the 2nd.

@ Wes, clearly you are the kind of guy who believes in immediate draft grades. I don't go crazy so much if my team doesn't take "my" guy, although it would have been very disappointing to miss out on TR. The insiders at OBR all said Weeden was the target, just not necessarily at that spot. Doesn't matter to me, I'm just as good with player X then Weeden as Weeden then player Y. All that matters is hitting on the picks. We will see how it turns out in a year or two. Feel free to have all the fun you want with it in the meantime.

Last edited:
I was expecting it and was disappointed in MIA and not just picking QB at 8th, they needed either a RG or RT and since they didn't deem any of them worthy of the 8th pick with all the trades being made I don't see how they couldn't have traded the 8th down or used other assets to trade up (I really wanted the OL from Iowa so he could play either RT or RG).

@ Wes, clearly you are the kind of guy who believes in immediate draft grades. I don't go crazy so much if my team doesn't take "my" guy, although it would have been very disappointing to miss out on TR. The insiders at OBR all said Weeden was the target, just not necessarily at that spot. Doesn't matter to me, I'm just as good with player X then Weeden as Weeden then player Y. All that matters is hitting on the picks. We will see how it turns out in a year or two. Feel free to have all the fun you want with it in the meantime.

Fair point that I'd agree with 98% of the time. But Decastro is the highest rated guard in about a decade, since Hutchinson. Guys rated this highly almost always produce.

@YB: I'd give the Rams an F so far. All the additonal picks are great but if they don't amount to ****, it means nothing. Ask the Pats. Other than the Hernandez-Gronkowski draft, all the extra picks they've acquired over the last six years or so have amounted to **** pretty much.

When Jacksonville jumped to #5 to draft Blackmon, my hope was for a trade down and get someone for the trenches. The Rams did just that and added another 2nd in the process. I hoped they would address WR, DT, OL, and LB but I also know that a 2-14 team cannot draft specific needs, so I hope they take the BPA every time, unless it's a QB. They need some weapons, but they need some hogs, too. ****, it sucks being a Rams fan. Hopefully Snead and Fisher step it up.

I was expecting it and was disappointed in MIA and not just picking QB at 8th, they needed either a RG or RT and since they didn't deem any of them worthy of the 8th pick with all the trades being made I don't see how they couldn't have traded the 8th down or used other assets to trade up (I really wanted the OL from Iowa so he could play either RT or RG).

As a Dolphin fan, I'm ok with the pick. If you're Miami, eventually you have to take a leap of faith and invest in a first round talent QB. You simply cannot keep treading water with the Jay Fiedler's and Matt Moore's of the world. Besides Tannehill, Miami has only drafted 2 other QB's in the first round in franchise history (Bob Griese and Marino). I think it was time. IMO, it's lucky for Miami that Tannehill doesn't have a huge sample size of game film to watch as a starting QB or he probably would have went higher.

Mantooth makes a valid point of Big 12 QB's who put up massive numbers in college only to come up woefully short in the NFL. Why I think Tannehill might be different is the fact that he put his numbers up while playing in more of a pro style offense for Mike Sherman. Sherman happens to be Tannehill's new offensive coordinator in Miami. Guys like Colt McCoy and Sam Bradford came from spread offenses and have had to make massive adjustments at the next level. Tannehill will not have to do that. Not to mention the fact that the guy is a freakish athlete. I see him making a ton of plays outside the pocket for Miami.

Olineman and a pass rusher are big needs as well but can be adressed with the 3 picks Miami has in the next 2 rounds. The opinions seem pretty split on Tannehill being able to be a franchise QB, but IMO Miami HAD to take that chance.

When Jacksonville jumped to #5 to draft Blackmon, my hope was for a trade down and get someone for the trenches. The Rams did just that and added another 2nd in the process. I hoped they would address WR, DT, OL, and LB but I also know that a 2-14 team cannot draft specific needs, so I hope they take the BPA every time, unless it's a QB. They need some weapons, but they need some hogs, too. ****, it sucks being a Rams fan. Hopefully Snead and Fisher step it up.

I hear ya. I wondered why the Rams, loaded with pics, didn't try to move up to #5 themselves. It didn't take Jax a lot to move up from 7 to 5. In fact, I was shocked at how little, imo, teams who traded up, had to give up to do so. The Browns had to give up just a 4th, 5th, and a 7th to move up from #4 to #3. And there were a ton of trades like that where I just shook my head. It seems like over the past decade, it's become fashionable to trade down and acquire more picks in the process. The Pats are known best for this. My Eagles do it a ton. Stockpile 2nds and 3rds. But after last night, I feel like that trend had become so obvious that the pendulum has swung in the other direction and teams who want to move up seem to have the upper hand.

Surprised the Steelers went OT with a player that tested positive for the ganja. He definately slid though and that should hopefully take care of the right side of the line for years. I'm happy with the first two rounds.

In the 3rd taking an undersized LB has me scratching my head. I was pulling for Ta'Mau, the NT from Washington.

I should ever second guess Colbert as he has been a draft wizard though. I don't know if Sean Spence can play inside and we need someone to replace Farrior. I was almost hoping that Wagner would fall to the Steelers.

Nice to see a few Utah boys getting drafted today.

Colts seemed to love the TE position today. Guess they are trying to emulate Luck's TE heavy offense in Indy.

Fair point that I'd agree with 98% of the time. But Decastro is the highest rated guard in about a decade, since Hutchinson. Guys rated this highly almost always produce.

The time is done for Cleveland to draft high on sure bets. They had to find a way to dramatically improve the team. Weeden, although 6-7 years removed from a typical prospect, is probably the most talented pure passer in this draft. It's a swing for the fences and honestly TR + Weeden is a much surer way to get better fast than Tannehill + RB/WR. I totally agree that DDC will have a great career. But the Browns are done drafting guards and centers high. These two guys completely change the Browns offensive capabilities.

Assuming they are hits that is. Also I should point out to you that the Browns have two young promising guards in Pinkston and Lauvao. What we really needed was a RT and now we got that too.

I like what the Eagles have done. Defense up front was clearly a problem for them and getting younger on that side of the ball is almost always good. If your GM wanted a small LB in the 2nd I would have taken David all day long and wish to bejezus that guy was a Brown. But the position was a smart pick.

Cox seems like the kind of guy you wanted Bunkley to be. I never did figure out what went wrong with him. He was traded to Cleveland but somehow sabotaged the trade. Now he's out of Denver. Weird.

I wanted to trade Colt to you guys but then you drafted QB. Seemed to me Colt's streetball style would back up Vick very well.

Love this draft!

DeCastro and Adams and now the Steelers have a SOLID Young line!
The more I read up on Spence - LB Miami - the more I can see him stepping in smoothly for Harrison in a few years.
Ta'mau in the 4th??? I wanted him in the 3rd!!!
Rainey in the 5th is being called a STEAL. Special teams and a legit 3rd down back to take over for Moore.

Out of the 4 7 round picks we will see if any make the squad but I think the CB from A&M had a shot.

Overall I give the Steelers a solid A and I'm not being biased. I think they once again had one of the best drafts but only time will tell.

The number #1 no question steal of the draft was Bobby Massie by the Cardinals in the 4th round. Mike Mayock and Mel Kiper both had him as the higher ranked then every single person drafted in the THIRD ROUND!

Some people predicted Bobby Massie to go at the end of the first round.

Cardinals doing it again steal draft!

Love this draft!

DeCastro and Adams and now the Steelers have a SOLID Young line!
The more I read up on Spence - LB Miami - the more I can see him stepping in smoothly for Harrison in a few years.
Ta'mau in the 4th??? I wanted him in the 3rd!!!
Rainey in the 5th is being called a STEAL. Special teams and a legit 3rd down back to take over for Moore.

Out of the 4 7 round picks we will see if any make the squad but I think the CB from A&M had a shot.

Overall I give the Steelers a solid A and I'm not being biased. I think they once again had one of the best drafts but only time will tell.

DDC is not rated great blocking for the run. He is, however a superb prospect when you have a franchise QB. I give the Steelers a solid B. Assuming a hit on DDC.

Adams is a major risk/boom pick. If the Steelers org. can somehow convince this dude to straighten up great pick. I personally doubt that happens.

Spence is a good player but how does he fit?

Ta'mau was clearly a Steeler pick. I seriously doubt that you miss on this one. Kudos.

Everything past that is cheese. Nobody including either of us can do anything but hope.

Cheers Cope and can't wait till we see these guys on the field!

I'm digging the Colts draft. Aside from Luck, they got the two best TEs in the draft. Since Arenas seems to run a multiple TE system and that's the system Luck ran in college it seems perfect. They got maybe the best return guy in the draft in Hilton who can also be a good slot receiver (though that's what Collie does so I'm interested in how they can both line up), and if Chapman is healthy he's a steal for a DT in the fifth round. Though it's clear the Colts were all about giving Luck weapons.

I just need to go on record as being firmly in the RG3 is going to be much better than Andrew Luck Camp. In fact, I'll take it one step further. Kellen-Undrafted-Moore will have a better NFL career than Andrew Luck.

And yet again, I have no reason to be excited to be a Raiders fan. The best news of the week for us is that Matt Leinhart is interested in us, and that's not even good news.

Congrats to Utah State though for getting some players drafted. That should make for some nice leverage on the recruiting trail.

I just need to go on record as being firmly in the RG3 is going to be much better than Andrew Luck Camp. In fact, I'll take it one step further. Kellen-Undrafted-Moore will have a better NFL career than Andrew Luck.

And yet again, I have no reason to be excited to be a Raiders fan. The best news of the week for us is that Matt Leinhart is interested in us. And that's not even good news.

RG3's career, especially his first 3-5 years is going to be shaky. The Redskins are entrenched in a division with three other teams that consistently have talent, draft better than average, win 8+ games, and have very good qb's. In fact, it's reasonable to think all three of these teams could have 10+ wins this year. The Eagles and Cowboys were both 8-8 last year and both led the NFL in blowing 4th quarter leads, with five apiece. Each had very good drafts and look to be better, maybe much better this season. The Redskins on the other hand have proven over the last decade that they suck at drafting, developing from within, and that they have no idea what they're doing. RG3 is going to have mediocre weapons around him, a shaky offensive line, and have little picks next year to help that matter. They'll win some games here or there because of his legs but overall, they'll be about a 6-10 team most years.

Saw this morning that Miami added FB Shawn Asiata and DE Derrick Shelby as rookie free agents. Love the Asiata pick up. Miami is moving more towards a WC offense and will be using a fullback. With no current FB firmly entrenched, I like Asiata's chances of making the team. Miami is thin at DE too, so maybe Shelby has a shot but not likely. Somebody in Miami's scouting department must have graduated from Utah. Miami now has Sean Smith, Paul Solia, Koa Misi, Derrick Shelby, and Shawn Asiata on their roster.