What's new

No Answers - Is it Personnel or coaching?

Terrence Mann is a 2nd year rookie, he makes 1.5 mil this season, he outperformed Royce O'Neale in the game5, Royce makes 8.5mil..

Utah's personnel/roster is laden with these sort of "pay upfront for good regular season players" whos value deteriorates (on a cost per dollar basis) in playoff scenarios...

Mike Conley makes all this $$$ n cant play.. These are rediculous gambles by the F/O...

I've been saying it for years i'll say it again reminds me of the early 2000's knicks chasing for wins that lead nowhere.

I mean Georges Niang sucks! hes shooting like 20% this playoffs! These other teams in the west have suuuch better players than Niang coming off the bench...

Oni too...

Because they overpay players, 3rd stringers like Niang and Oni get burn around here.. it's a mismanagement of funds/allocations

I never ever trusted Niang to be clutch after how hard he choked away ISU's tourney run Junior year n if he's shooting 28% from the field this playoffs thats got a similar stink to it.

Really, the last few years it comes down to one persons fault: Rudy. We've seen Jazz defenders get lazier and lazier with only a slight interest in stopping forward progress of the opposing player(s) whether in half court sets or fast break sets because Rudy can deter/change shots once they get beat. It's true, but then the beaten defenders don't reliably help on the man Rudy left nor is there ever any intent to try and rebound. In addition, our other defenders just ball watch while their man sneaks into a position where they can shoot open shots (Donovan could be the worst offender of this). Horrible habits have been developed and are now being exposed and there doesn't seem to be any accountability. I also can remember when Don was going to be a defensive stopper, and then he quickly realized people don't worship defensive stoppers and that flamed out.

We won game 1 and 2 with a healthy Spida, no Conley vs their healthy team.
We lost game 5 with a hobbled Spida and no Kawhi.

Seriously. We are getting out coached.
Oh please. An unhealthy Mitchell and no Conley means we have no offensive stars. They still have PG. that gives them an edge. An unhealthy Donovan is not a star. He can barely jump. Based on this logic frank Vogel was outcoached. Mike Malone was out coached. No, their teams were not healthy. You can only make so much noise in the playoffs with your role players.

I chalk it up to Mike Connolly is made of glass he the difference in this series let him walk go after jrue Holliday

Sent from my LE2127 using Tapatalk

Lord Dummy,

Yes our FO has botched things so badly it netted us the 1 seed.
Quite the opposite.

It was Snyder who mastered one specific playbook that got us the 1 seed. It's brilliant coaching since not many coaches in this league can say that they are capable of mastering a playbook the way that Quin did.

But in playoffs it's when only one play style isn't enough to win it all because you are playing the same team in consecutively games and eventually they will find ways to counter that play style, which in this case, is to play small ball to draw Rudy out of the paint.

That's when we desperately need that flexibility in the roster to shift away from our original play style but we just couldn't do it. Because instead of finding us a smallball five with mobility and range, athletic wings who could shoot and rebound, or a backup point guard who could defend/run some plays behind Conley, we simply doubled down or even tripled down on areas associated with that single play style.

That's the perfect setup to win you the regular season then lose in the playoffs.

This is 100% on the FO because we've already saw the Rockets and Nuggets managed to exploit the weakness in our drop-big scheme and eliminated us in three consecutive seasons, and now the Clippers is doing it again.

"Addressing weakness on the roster" is written in the job descriptions of sports GMs, not the coach.

Last edited:
We could have used Jeff Green. I question Quin’s ability to adapt and think outside of the box.
He was featured in every single game during his time here and averaged 17min a night. That's more minutes played than Niang, Thomas, Morgan, Oni on a nightly basis so i'm not sure if it's Quin who doesn't want him here. But we definitely should've kept him on the team over the likes of Niang/Oni/Brantley just for his playoff experiences. But for a FO who's actively dumping their second round picks and other assets just to offload some salary, what else do you expect?

Last edited:
Quin is in an impossible situation because of a combination of injuries and roster construction. He has no one to throw out there. He is left to choose between playing Miye Oni and Niang minutes and completely running the starters into the ground, resulting in dead Don. Quin is riding the system, because he has a roster that is constructed and capable of only doing that very thing.

People mention “adjustments.” What adjustments should he make? Had we had two more playable guys on the bench (say Desmond Bane or Torrey Craig), Quin could have tried some things.

You can’t make any conclusions about Quin’s coaching from this series due to roster construction and the compounding effect of injuries. Just isn’t fair.

This is all on bad luck with injuries and DL and Zanik. Period. You could make an argument that the injury issues are also partially on DL and Zanik, because Conley is an aging PG and was already a known injury risk when he was brought in.

Heads must roll, but not Quin’s.
Ersan though

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

Ersan though

Besides that Lakers game when they rested Lerbon/AD, Ersan hasn't done much to show us that he's still a NBA player. He averaged 7.1 fouls per 36 minutes, compared to 4.2 fouls committed by Oni. He won't survive past 5 minutes against the likes of Morris or Zubac.

the so called "depth" of our bench during the reason has been overrated IMO. I think when both Conley and Mitchell are around a lot of these guys weaknesses dont stand exposed. They look better than they actually are. Its the same damn thing as the 97/98/99 years. Stock and Malone made scrubs like Russel, Foster and the likes look better than they actually were.
But having said all this, with a healthy Mitchell and Mike we may be leading 3-2. what sucks is we didnt get to know the ceiling of this team during these playoffs because of the damn injuries. So the report will be incomplete. Unless we somehow magically win these next 2 games and Mike and Don are both back in action for the next series. Looks really tough but not impossible. Mike atleast sounded closer to returning. Just hope Mitchell's injury is'nt too bad

next season we should load manage everybody to the Max. If sitting players every other game is allowed, do it! Don't care about 1 seed. Sign durable players. Hire the best medical team. NBA only cares about revenues and it won't change next year anyway.

next season we should load manage everybody to the Max. If sitting players every other game is allowed, do it! Don't care about 1 seed. Sign durable players. Hire the best medical team. NBA only cares about revenues and it won't change next year anyway.
It will change since there will be a proper off season this year unlike last season and a more regular season schedule unlike the condensed one this year. But, yes we should load manage a lot for players and durable players are preferred, but it's impossible to know who will actually be not injured next year.

Oh please. An unhealthy Mitchell and no Conley means we have no offensive stars. They still have PG. that gives them an edge. An unhealthy Donovan is not a star. He can barely jump. Based on this logic frank Vogel was outcoached. Mike Malone was out coached. No, their teams were not healthy. You can only make so much noise in the playoffs with your role players.
Game 1 & 2
Kawhi, PG & Company vs Spida, No Conley but Company = W

Game 5
No Kawhi, only PG & Company vs unhealthy Spida who still scored 20+ & Company = L

Your math is terrible.

It's a mixed bag.

Guys like Niang and Oni are not valuable minutes guys. They are garbage time guys with Niang deserving a few minutes here or there.

Rudy is one of the top defenders in NBA history but his offensive game is absolutely atrocious. When a SF(even a small PG) can guard a 7'2" center because he has absolutely no go to post move, no 10ft jumper, and terrible ball handling skills it leaves mismatches. Rudy is a liability on offense outside of his screens

Royce is truly the worst starter in the NBA. He's subpar in nearly every aspect of basketball outside of being a spotty lockdown defender. He has his uses but no way should he be playing 32 minutes per.

Conley is great but unreliable. Reminds of Jimmy Garropolo as he's a good QB but you simply cannot bank your season on him as he's always injured. He's a gamble.

Donovan is Donovan but I think he could average 6-10 assist if he wanted to. Not saying he doesn't but I think his next step is findimg a balance between taking over getting others involved more.

JC is flamethrower or ice maker.

As far as our FO. I was always high on them but they absolutely **** the bed last off-season and we're now seeing how them ignoring the most obvious deficiencies even us on JF were pointing out may be the downfall. Inexcusable.

Snyder is a fantastic coach bit he's becoming senile and is getting absolutely manhandled by Tyrone Lue. Inexcusable as well.

Besides that Lakers game when they rested Lerbon/AD, Ersan hasn't done much to show us that he's still a NBA player. He averaged 7.1 fouls per 36 minutes, compared to 4.2 fouls committed by Oni. He won't survive past 5 minutes against the likes of Morris or Zubac.
It's something to try though. What we have been doing isn't working. And he wouldn't foul out just playing niangs minutes. Niang is only playing like 10 really really horrible minutes per game.