What's new

No clue what the Jazz are going to do in this draft

Ferguson_Mellochill

2019 Prediction Contest Winner
There are legitimately about 6 or 7 players the Jazz could draft if they stay at #9.

I think they really are trying to wheel and deal to move up in the draft.

I think they'd like a 2nd pick lower in the first round of the draft too.

Bottom line is that anything could happen, and it's going to be the most interesting draft I can remember.

Conventional wisdom would say the Jazz should go with a big guy since that's what they need and there will be a few to pick from at N0. 9. I, however, am scared to death that they are going to take Luke Babbitt. I just happen to feel he is a little overrated. I have seen him play and I'm not sure how he will adjust to the NBA.

Moving up in the draft is so hard to do. You very rarely see it happen. In 2005 when the Jazz got DWill is one of the few exceptions that I can think of. I can never think of a time when the Jazz have bought (for the lack of a better word) another first round pick. They would be more willing to move out of the first round than pick up a second first-rounder. But with the team being over the cap, I'm not sure it makes since for the Jazz to add another guaranteed salary to their books.

i have no faith in the FO to get it right on draft day. if they trade up to 5, it will be to take greg "charmin ultra" monroe. if they stay at 9, they will draft another garbage player like cole aldrich/luke babbit.

if i'm the jazz here's the 3 scenarios i do:

1) move up to #5 and take cousins. give #9/memphis pick/future pick/AK or whatever to get the deal done

if not

2) trade for #17 with bulls. keep #9 and hopefully take george & whiteside with #17

3) stay at 9 and select paul george. if george is gone take ed davis.

It wouldn't surprise me if the Jazz were willing to move AK, Miles or even Millsap if they fall in love with a player and want to move up in the draft. It would be very risky to move Millsap though without a guarantee that Boozer is coming back. I think it basically goes without saying that the Jazz would be willing to move Koufos to make space on the roster if they need to so they can get a second pick.

Then there's the Memphis pick and even Tomic if the Jazz want to be aggressive in trades.

It wouldn't surprise me if the Jazz were willing to move AK, Miles or even Millsap if they fall in love with a player and want to move up in the draft.

Problem is the teams picking ahead of the Jazz aren't giving up their picks for AK, Miles or Millsap. In order to move up into the top five the Jazz would have to be willing to part with a certain All-star caliber point guard.

i have no faith in the FO to get it right on draft day. if they trade up to 5, it will be to take greg "charmin ultra" monroe. if they stay at 9, they will draft another garbage player like cole aldrich/luke babbit.

Well last time they had a pick this high they turned it into DWill.

Dont think the Jazz have interest in Cousins if they havent worked him out. So I only think the reason they trade up is to ensure they get monroe.

Jonathan Givony mentioned on Locke's show that he has heard from multiple trustworthy people that Ed Davis has been KOC's guy for a long time now. He said that it surprised him when he heard it, but he has heard it from a few people. He has had him as the Jazz pick for a long time and he is usually on top of these things.

I don't know how much interest the Jazz have in Cousins either, but I do know that none of the guys 1-5 worked out for the Jazz because they expect to be picked before 9. I bet if the Jazz had traded up before the draft, they could have gotten Cousins and Favors to come in. I think the bigger question is have any Jazz scouts attended any workouts where Cousins has been?

Jonathan Givony mentioned on Locke's show that he has heard from multiple trustworthy people that Ed Davis has been KOC's guy for a long time now. He said that it surprised him when he heard it, but he has heard it from a few people. He has had him as the Jazz pick for a long time and he is usually on top of these things.

Wasn't Ed Davis the #1 rated high school senior when he went to NC? He still has great upside. He just happened to go to a loaded NC team that won the national championship with him off the bench and then got hurt his second year. He's also not a gangster type either. His dad was a ten year NBA vet so he grew up in an upper middle class home. So maybe he will surprise everyone at the NBA level.

OK Just did some research and looks like Davis may not have been the #1 rated HS player but he was very high. At any rate he has good credentials the Jazz like.

Last edited:
Wasn't Ed Davis the #1 rated high school senior when he went to NC? He still has great upside. He just happened to go to a loaded NC team that won the national championship with him off the bench and then got hurt his second year. He's also not a gangster type either. His dad was a ten year NBA vet so he grew up in an upper middle class home. So maybe he will surprise everyone at the NBA level.

https://rivals.yahoo.com/basketball...Davis-48045;_ylt=AhoHfHfaJdnCeXdyxKyG7_TSO5B4

I typically use rivals.com for stuff like this. He was ranked #15 overall.

I've not been crazy about the guy. Especially consdiering we have Millsap so what's the point of drafting him really because he's not a 3 or 5. He's a 4 and a 4 only. However...

The positives - - He did only play 27.9 mpg so his per minute rebounding (9.6) and blocked shots (2.8) stats are very strong. He also only fouled 1.8 times per game which is very good. In addition, he's also one of only four players at the combine to have a max vert reach of 12' or better, with Brackins, Favors, and Whiteside being the others.

Negatives - - His standing reach (9'0" compared to Cousins 9'5") though his strong rebounding and blocked stats make me think it wouldn't be an issue (at least at the 4), his passing (just 1.0 assists per) and perhaps most of all, his scoring. <14 ppg on a team where almost the whole starting squad had graduated, in a conference that is nothing special, with his apparent athleticism, makes me think his offensive skillset is mediocre.

In short, I don't think I can subscribe to the idea of drafting a 4 when that's already our strongest position.

There are legitimately about 6 or 7 players the Jazz could draft if they stay at #9.

I think they really are trying to wheel and deal to move up in the draft.

I think they'd like a 2nd pick lower in the first round of the draft too.

Bottom line is that anything could happen, and it's going to be the most interesting draft I can remember.

Which is exactly why nothing will happen. When was the last time the Jazz FO made a bold move?
Well, I guess KOC did trade 3 spots up to get Deron, so there's hope. Still, I think there's such a huge drop-off from the top-5 to the next group of 7-8 players that it will be much tioo costly to move up. And I'll be extremely disappointed if KOC trades a bunch of assets to move up to #5 and then he drafts Monroe.

I think it basically goes without saying that the Jazz would be willing to move Koufos to make space on the roster if they need to so they can get a second pick.
Ummm, yeah, because Jeffers and Gaines are so indispensable.
Gaines, Jeffers and probably Korver and Boozer. There's 4 roster spots just to get back to 13. And the Jazz can carry up to 15. I don't think we need to worry about not having enough roster spots

So if Jazz are serious about him maybe that means Boozer or Millsap are gone.
I think it's safe to assume Boozer ain't coming back.
Only thing that would change that is if the Jazz were really sold on moving up for Cousins or taking Aldrich. Then you might see them try to re-sign Boozer. Of course, with another big on the roster, then what? Boozer would still need to play about half his minutes at the 5, which wouldn't be a problem until Okur returns.

So if Jazz are serious about him maybe that means Boozer or Millsap are gone.

Of course Boozer may be gone but so what. We draft a 4 when we have Millsap who we just re-signed?

With the 9th pick we need to draft someone to be a starter. Not someone to get 20 minutes a night as a backup at the 4 and 5 imo.

Boozer is gone. I don't know why anyone is thinking otherwise. The only way he doesn't leave is if he gets lowballed on the free agent market.

Of course Boozer may be gone but so what. We draft a 4 when we have Millsap who we just re-signed?

With the 9th pick we need to draft someone to be a starter. Not someone to get 20 minutes a night as a backup at the 4 and 5 imo.

Maybe Jazz think he will be BPA at #9. Without Boozer Jazz match up even worse against Gasol. No way Millsap can guard him. Maybe Jazz have other moves up their sleeve.

Maybe Jazz think he will be BPA at #9. Without Boozer Jazz match up even worse against Gasol. No way Millsap can guard him.

This is a ****ing retarded approach if the Jazz draft him. We'd still suck at the 5 and be average at best on the wings. If we can move up to get Favors, Cousins, Turner, and to a lesser degree, Johnson, we should do it. But if not, there are so many bigs in this draft and we can get a 4 like this or a true 5 later in the 2nd round which means we should go for a wing early (Babbitt imo is perfect here). I'm going to put my board reputation (not that it's a good one) on the line here and say for the umpteenth time that Dexter Pittman is going to be the steal of this draft. He is the guy the Jazz need to target as their 5/backup 4 in the 2nd round, even if we have to move up to get him. His size, athleticism, work ethic and beastliness are exactly what we need in the middle. Jeff Foote is also very intriguing if we were able to pick up another late 2nd rounder.