What's new

NON-JAZZ NBA PLAYOFF thread

Hopefully this link works. The clippers were coming back from down like 18 and had got within six after a PG bucket, the crowd is going wild, the camera goes to kawhi Leonard and he is sitting there calm as ever and expressionless and Mike breen says in an excited voice "the clippers cut it to 6! And kawhi Leonard is going crazy"

Freaking hilarious
Not even a simple clap from kahwi. He is a weird dude

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

Rudy does dominate on defense when there is another big out there. The problem against small ball is he can’t punish them on the offensive end. Ayton killed their small ball. He shredded it and forced Lue’s hand.

Rudy does dominate on defense when there is another big out there. The problem against small ball is he can’t punish them on the offensive end. Ayton killed their small ball. He shredded it and forced Lue’s hand.
Part of that is Rudy but a lot of it is our guys not getting Rudy the ball. Conley being out really hurt us. We needed him to feed Rudy the ball during small ball. We should have run a lot more Ingles pick and roll instead of letting Clarkson iso over and over.

Conley had a very good defensive rating this season.
Bogey seemed to be stepping up his defense in the playoffs. I saw him defend kahwi better than anybody else did this post season.
Jingles has been known be a good defender. (Smart and long though not athletic). Our defense worked great with the exception of small ball. The suns like to play Ayton.

Game one vs the jazz kahwi was 9-19 (47%) for 23 points. Pre injury he was averaging 30 points and 57% shooting.
PG13 was 4-17 (23%) for 20 points. Both under his playoff averages.
No one in the clippers starting lineup was a plus in the plus minus.
Gobert had a double double with a couple blocks.
Jazz win

Game 2 kahwi was 8-17 for 21 points (minus 8 in plus minus)
Paul George was 8-18 for 27 points (minus 12 in plus minus)
Only zubac was positive for the starting lineup (plus 1)
Gobert had a double double with 20 rebounds and 4 blocks.
Jazz win.
Zubac minutes went down each game. By game 3 he was out of the starting lineup.
By game 5 he was down to 8 minutes.
Game 6? 5 minutes.
Against the suns zubac came off the bench in game 1 and played 18 minutes.
Game 2 he started and played 34 minutes.
Game 3 started and played 32 minutes
Game 4 he started and played 39 minutes.
Lue made great adjustments against us and small ball killed us. Suns have Ayton. He isn't small.

Jazz defense was just fine when Rudy could be Rudy. It was better than fine in fact. It was great. We were the 3rd rated defense in the league iirc. We were the best team in the league defending the 3 and the paint. We were the best team in the league keeping guys off the free throw line. We were great against transition defense. Our defense would be fine against ayton and the suns. The suns just scored 84 points against the clippers defense lol.
The jazz scored 112, 117, 106, 104, 111, 119 against that same clippers defense (with no Conley). Suns scored 92 points in game three against that same clippers defense.

The Clippers were never threatened by Gobert offensively to the point where they needed to play Zubac more minutes. Ayton literally scares them to death, and his first half in Game 1 caused Ty Lue to change his entire starting lineup and rotation by playing Zubac more.

I also don't think you can do a points comparison between the Jazz and Suns. Both teams play a completely different style of offense. The Suns play a more half-court oriented style, which makes sense with CP3, and the Jazz want to get up and down and run and shoot a bunch of 3s.

Its an apples-to-oranges comparison.

Part of that is Rudy but a lot of it is our guys not getting Rudy the ball. Conley being out really hurt us. We needed him to feed Rudy the ball during small ball. We should have run a lot more Ingles pick and roll instead of letting Clarkson iso over and over.
No, it's because they don't trust him to catch it. Not only does Rudy have difficulty holding onto the ball, but he also is not good at getting the ball in traffic. It seems whenever a pass goes to him and there are defenders around him, they always are able to strip the ball away.

No, it's because they don't trust him to catch it. Not only does Rudy have difficulty holding onto the ball, but he also is not good at getting the ball in traffic. It seems whenever a pass goes to him and there are defenders around him, they always are able to strip the ball away.
Not on the pick and roll. Yes, a lot of our players put the pass low, or give him the ball too early where he has to do too much. He is terrible at those. But if you get it to him high close to the basket or moving towards the basket he is very good at that. He has been one of the most elite players at that in the NBA. That was the issue though, we didnt have the one guy who consistently gets Rudy the ball in a position to score. Ingles is pretty decent at it as well but they didnt run it much at all, same with the Ingles Favors pick and roll.

Agreed.
Though I do think Conley would have helped with this. He could have got Rudy going with some dunks/lobs/layups

There’s plenty of evidence to build a case that we aren’t a very stiff and resilient team, mentally speaking. Without my homer goggles on, I’m left unsure how someone would be surprised that the jazz melted down or “didn’t dig deeper.” After all, our exits seem to be pretty dramatic, year after year.
There are times we shrunk and times we overcame. I do think the failing to rest our guys was a factor. Remember Ingles being PG13s daddy a few years back?

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using JazzFanz mobile app

The Clippers were never threatened by Gobert offensively to the point where they needed to play Zubac more minutes. Ayton literally scares them to death, and his first half in Game 1 caused Ty Lue to change his entire starting lineup and rotation by playing Zubac more.

I also don't think you can do a points comparison between the Jazz and Suns. Both teams play a completely different style of offense. The Suns play a more half-court oriented style, which makes sense with CP3, and the Jazz want to get up and down and run and shoot a bunch of 3s.

Its an apples-to-oranges comparison.

Agreed about the clippers small against us vs against them.
I was making this post showing that when the jazz go against a regular big they are good. Which is why they were up 2-0 vs the clippers.
Therefore, since the suns play a regular big the jazz would be better against the suns than they were against the clippers.

For the scoring part, both teams (jazz and suns) played against the clippers. The jazz never had a game where they only scored 84. Or 92.
Jazz play a half court oriented offense as well. They are not a transition team. It's why Rudy is so effective in offense. Jazz have Rudy set hella screens in a half court oriented offense. Yes they take and make hella threes but it's in a half court setting.
Suns averaged 115 ppg this season. Jazz averaged 116 lol. Apples to apples.

But Ayton is by far superior on offense to Rudy. He can actually shoot a jumper. The thing that bothers me about Rudy is not just his inability to catch passes unless they are high but his inability to hold on to the ball when he is crowded by a defender. He has caused so many turnovers because of this. It's about time he acknowledged this weakness and the coaches started to work with him on it. Like I mentioned before, it was not just his failure to contest 3's that led to the Jazz meltdown but also some timely turnovers that provided momentum to the Clipper surge, and had the Jazz scored on some of those possessions, it could've prevented the Clips from catching them because their lead was so big.

Last edited:
Conley had a very good defensive rating this season.
Bogey seemed to be stepping up his defense in the playoffs. I saw him defend kahwi better than anybody else did this post season.
Jingles has been known be a good defender. (Smart and long though not athletic). Our defense worked great with the exception of small ball. The suns like to play Ayton.

Game one vs the jazz kahwi was 9-19 (47%) for 23 points. Pre injury he was averaging 30 points and 57% shooting.
PG13 was 4-17 (23%) for 20 points. Both under his playoff averages.
No one in the clippers starting lineup was a plus in the plus minus.
Gobert had a double double with a couple blocks.
Jazz win

Game 2 kahwi was 8-17 for 21 points (minus 8 in plus minus)
Paul George was 8-18 for 27 points (minus 12 in plus minus)
Only zubac was positive for the starting lineup (plus 1)
Gobert had a double double with 20 rebounds and 4 blocks.
Jazz win.
Zubac minutes went down each game. By game 3 he was out of the starting lineup.
By game 5 he was down to 8 minutes.
Game 6? 5 minutes.
Against the suns zubac came off the bench in game 1 and played 18 minutes.
Game 2 he started and played 34 minutes.
Game 3 started and played 32 minutes
Game 4 he started and played 39 minutes.
Lue made great adjustments against us and small ball killed us. Suns have Ayton. He isn't small.

Jazz defense was just fine when Rudy could be Rudy. It was better than fine in fact. It was great. We were the 3rd rated defense in the league iirc. We were the best team in the league defending the 3 and the paint. We were the best team in the league keeping guys off the free throw line. We were great against transition defense. Our defense would be fine against ayton and the suns. The suns just scored 84 points against the clippers defense lol.
The jazz scored 112, 117, 106, 104, 111, 119 against that same clippers defense (with no Conley). Suns scored 92 points in game three against that same clippers defense.

Jingles is a horrible defender and Bogey had one good defensive performance. When Kawhi went out Bogey got cooked

I was making this post showing that when the jazz go against a regular big they are good. Which is why they were up 2-0 vs the clippers.
Therefore, since the suns play a regular big the jazz would be better against the suns than they were against the clippers.

For the scoring part, both teams (jazz and suns) played against the clippers. The jazz never had a game where they only scored 84. Or 92.
Jazz play a half court oriented offense as well. They are not a transition team. It's why Rudy is so effective in offense. Jazz have Rudy set hella screens in a half court oriented offense. Yes they take and make hella threes but it's in a half court setting.

I dont get the point you're trying to prove. Suns are feasting on the small ball where we couldn't yet you're saying we're better than them? I'm confused

At this point would anybody on this board not take Ayton over Rudy? Ayton is a superior rebounder, scorer, and still a great defender (please spare me the regular season stats BS)

Ugh, its not a simple as that. The Suns present more challenges than the Clippers do. They have just as many (more because Kawhi is out) 2 way wing players, and they have arguably the 3rd best offensive center that is playing in these playoffs (yes, and I can't believe I am saying that).

The Suns beat a fully healthy Jazz team twice this year, while the Jazz swept the Clippers in the regular season.

And CP3 torched the Jazz defense in the 2nd game, while Booker had his way in both games (with the Jazz fully healthy). Royce O'Neal isn't Pat Beverley as far as a Booker stopper/irritant, and I think its much more likely Booker's broken nose has slowed him down in this series than Beverley just shutting him down.

Last edited:
If you have watched the current series, Ayton is a fantastic rebounder and yes better than Rudy. He doesn't get pushed away from the boards like Rudy does. Of course, Rudy is the better defender, at least so far as rim protection. But who would you rather have if you could do a straight-up trade right now?

If you have watched the current series, Ayton is a fantastic rebounder and yes better than Rudy. He doesn't get pushed away from the boards like Rudy does. Of course, Rudy is the better defender, at least so far as rim protection. But who would you rather have if you could do a straight-up trade right now?

Every team in the league would choose Ayton.

Ayton has significantly improved but he also benefits much more from his teammates than Rudy on both ends of the floor. Suns play tough perimeter defense, he would never be able to carry the same defensive load Rudy has to. On offense he is of course more versatile than Rudy but here also he has CP3 who is a master of midrange/lob and involves him better than our guards do with Rudy.

Ayton has significantly improved but he also benefits much more from his teammates than Rudy on both ends of the floor. Suns play tough perimeter defense, he would never be able to carry the same defensive load Rudy has to. On offense he is of course more versatile than Rudy but here also he has CP3 who is a master of midrange/lob and involves him better than our guards do with Rudy.
You forget that he also can actually shoot.

Back