What's new

NON-JAZZ NBA PLAYOFF thread

The Clippers were never threatened by Gobert offensively to the point where they needed to play Zubac more minutes. Ayton literally scares them to death, and his first half in Game 1 caused Ty Lue to change his entire starting lineup and rotation by playing Zubac more.

I also don't think you can do a points comparison between the Jazz and Suns. Both teams play a completely different style of offense. The Suns play a more half-court oriented style, which makes sense with CP3, and the Jazz want to get up and down and run and shoot a bunch of 3s.

Its an apples-to-oranges comparison.
I do wonder if that style wins championships. I think the jury is still out on that one. I thought our offense became very predictable and stagnant. We would Chuck up the first 3 we could or have Clarkson iso. On a good day we might lob it up to Rudy. At the very least I’d like to see us draft a speedy guard who can our pressure on the defense when attacking the rim. Someone in the mold of ty Lawson or heck just cam Payne.

Conley had a very good defensive rating this season.
Bogey seemed to be stepping up his defense in the playoffs. I saw him defend kahwi better than anybody else did this post season.
Jingles has been known be a good defender. (Smart and long though not athletic). Our defense worked great with the exception of small ball. The suns like to play Ayton.

Game one vs the jazz kahwi was 9-19 (47%) for 23 points. Pre injury he was averaging 30 points and 57% shooting.
PG13 was 4-17 (23%) for 20 points. Both under his playoff averages.
No one in the clippers starting lineup was a plus in the plus minus.
Gobert had a double double with a couple blocks.
Jazz win

Game 2 kahwi was 8-17 for 21 points (minus 8 in plus minus)
Paul George was 8-18 for 27 points (minus 12 in plus minus)
Only zubac was positive for the starting lineup (plus 1)
Gobert had a double double with 20 rebounds and 4 blocks.
Jazz win.
Zubac minutes went down each game. By game 3 he was out of the starting lineup.
By game 5 he was down to 8 minutes.
Game 6? 5 minutes.
Against the suns zubac came off the bench in game 1 and played 18 minutes.
Game 2 he started and played 34 minutes.
Game 3 started and played 32 minutes
Game 4 he started and played 39 minutes.
Lue made great adjustments against us and small ball killed us. Suns have Ayton. He isn't small.

Jazz defense was just fine when Rudy could be Rudy. It was better than fine in fact. It was great. We were the 3rd rated defense in the league iirc. We were the best team in the league defending the 3 and the paint. We were the best team in the league keeping guys off the free throw line. We were great against transition defense. Our defense would be fine against ayton and the suns. The suns just scored 84 points against the clippers defense lol.
The jazz scored 112, 117, 106, 104, 111, 119 against that same clippers defense (with no Conley). Suns scored 92 points in game three against that same clippers defense.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app
These are some good points and have caused me to rethink some things. good post.

My immediate thought is that perhaps defensively we need to be more disruptive, generate turnovers, and get easier baskets? It just feels like we never get out on the fast break and must always score against a half.

I remember similar arguments made about the Utes defense under Sitaki vs now. They used to sack more and generate more turnovers (and sometimes get burned). Theyve since concentrated on being more conservative defensively but overall being more sound.

Being conservative defensively makes a lot of sense with Gobert anchoring the defense. However, with a team parked into a zone and slowing your offense into a stall, perhaps a more aggressive defense would’ve generated easier buckets and given us the points to win that series?

Ultimately, it sucks that our backcourt got injured at the end of the season. That ****ed us. But it also sucks that Q never could adjust. For whatever reason, we never went into a zone to **** with them and we never figured out their defense sufficiently to consistently score.

Losing early this year really stings. The way we lost. And seeing how the super teams with super players are out. I can’t remember the last time Lebron wasn’t still playing.

These are some good points and have caused me to rethink some things. good post.

My immediate thought is that perhaps defensively we need to be more disruptive, generate turnovers, and get easier baskets? It just feels like we never get out on the fast break and must always score against a half.

I remember similar arguments made about the Utes defense under Sitaki vs now. They used to sack more and generate more turnovers (and sometimes get burned). Theyve since concentrated on being more conservative defensively but overall being more sound.

Being conservative defensively makes a lot of sense with Gobert anchoring the defense. However, with a team parked into a zone and slowing your offense into a stall, perhaps a more aggressive defense would’ve generated easier buckets and given us the points to win that series?

Ultimately, it sucks that our backcourt got injured at the end of the season. That ****ed us. But it also sucks that Q never could adjust. For whatever reason, we never went into a zone to **** with them and we never figured out their defense sufficiently to consistently score.

Losing early this year really stings. The way we lost. And seeing how the super teams with super players are out. I can’t remember the last time Lebron wasn’t still playing.
What I see is that we REALLY REALLY need a plan B for when teams go small. I don't know what that is but we need to be ready for it. And we probably need to look at a bit more defense on the perimeter but I don't think we need to overdo it with changes.

Anybody willing to admit they would trade Donovan for Trae Young straight up?
Nah.

I would do the Rudy for ayton trade though. Mainly due to age (though looking at ayton, he might be in his 50's)

Anybody willing to admit they would trade Donovan for Trae Young straight up?
No chance. Trae is a very good player, but he's absolutely surrounded by talent. You put Don on that team, and they would have done more before this year, and they would be running away with the East. Trae passes a better, but I wonder if Don would have gotten there faster if given the opportunity to run PG more the last couple years.

Just look at all the offensive players Trae gets to play with:
Collins
Huerter
Bogdon
Lou Williams
Gallinari
Reddish
Hunter (when healthy)

What I see is that we REALLY REALLY need a plan B for when teams go small. I don't know what that is but we need to be ready for it. And we probably need to look at a bit more defense on the perimeter but I don't think we need to overdo it with changes.

Yes, I think you’re right here. That’s what teams are doing to us, going small.

No chance. Trae is a very good player, but he's absolutely surrounded by talent. You put Don on that team, and they would have done more before this year, and they would be running away with the East. Trae passes a better, but I wonder if Don would have gotten there faster if given the opportunity to run PG more the last couple years.

Just look at all the offensive players Trae gets to play with:
Collins
Huerter
Bogdon
Lou Williams
Gallinari
Reddish
Hunter (when healthy)
I’d love for the jazz to have Collins or Bobby Portis. Also, it’s a shame we’ve never figured out how to add Gallinari to our roster. The dude has always had “jazz” written on him.

I’d love for the jazz to have Collins or Bobby Portis. Also, it’s a shame we’ve never figured out how to add Gallinari to our roster. The dude has always had “jazz” written on him.
Collins turned down a $90 million extension earlier this year. Sees himself as a max or near max player. I believe him.

I would trade Clarkson and Bojan for Collins and not think twice. I would add more. Don and Collins are very close. If Collins is determined to make max and Atlanta doesn't want to pay it, sign and trade.....

Sent from my SM-A516U using JazzFanz mobile app

Collins turned down a $90 million extension earlier this year. Sees himself as a max or near max player. I believe him.

I would trade Clarkson and Bojan for Collins and not think twice. I would add more. Don and Collins are very close. If Collins is determined to make max and Atlanta doesn't want to pay it, sign and trade.....

I gave you **** for him a little. He's showed he can play winning basketball this post season. He just reminded me of a good stats bad team type of guy. He's improved... still a little bit of a tweener but has a good enough jumper that its fine. Has shown the ability to step in and take charges.

Will be curious to see what he gets in FA.

I gave you **** for him a little. He's showed he can play winning basketball this post season. He just reminded me of a good stats bad team type of guy. He's improved... still a little bit of a tweener but has a good enough jumper that its fine. Has shown the ability to step in and take charges.

Will be curious to see what he gets in FA.
I'd give him $1 short of max with no incentives. So if he makes an All NBA team in the future, it doesn't bite us.

Curious to see if somebody would give him the full max. Wonder if Don could convince him to sign with us.

Collins a 4 or 5? Would he fit with Rudy?

Fwiw clippers have been playing small ball the whole game so far and Ayton has 2 points and only 2 shot attempts.
Not exactly punishing the clippers small ball.

Still early though

Clippers could never play small ball against the suns cause ayton would just punish them with post ups and get all the rebounds.
Ayton at the half playing exclusively against small ball: 6 points, 4 rebounds (only 1 offensive), and a negative 6 while on the court.

Also the suns perimeter defenders are too good to let a role player go off due to small ball.
Marcus Morris with 20 points at the half.

Clippers missed a ton of open 3's as well. (4-16 for 25%). Imagine if they were shooting 70% from 3 or whatever like they did against us. Or hell, even their normal 42% that they averaged on the season iirc.

This could be a 20 point lead on the road without zubac and kahwi. Suns gotta feel good that the clippers went cold from 3.

Just watched Ayton get Beverly switched onto him. Booker decided that going iso against his defender was an easier bucket than going to Ayton with a 6 foot tall Beverly on him. Booker did score.

Then crowder penetrated the paint and the defense collapsed on him and he passed to a wide open Ayton who fumbled the passed and it luckily fell right back into crowders hands and he laid up.

Back