What's new

Game Thread Nov 01, 2023 07:00PM MT: Jazz vs. Grizzlies

Added to Calendar: 11-01-23

Hardy knows that JazzFanz will bitch if Hendricks doesn't play but then they will also bitch of he looks disjointed in garbage time. So he just does what he wants .
To be fair, Cam and Jarace really aren’t getting burn either.

Jarace has 18 total mins and 12 came in a 50 point blowout loss for the Pacers tonight.

Hendricks is with the g league Stars. I don't think he's on the active roster

Sent from my SM-A326U1 using Tapatalk
They were. Both recorded DNPCDs (along with Samanic).

Hardy seems to be a firm believer that with rookies you dont give minutes just to give minutes. Hendricks and Brice are being pushed to develop and they get minutes when they show that they have taken some steps.

Random observations:

- Man, Ja really killed his team. It's not like they haven't played well without him before (even for long stretches), but this is somehow different. They just look deflated and hopeless. They're really missing Adams' leadership and defense, and Marcus Smart looks like he hates his life. I just can't see a turnaround for this team until they get Morant back. Taylor Jenkins may yet become a sacrificial lamb.

- I feel like Olynyk travels 27 times per game and they only call it once or twice. LOL. I especially love his patented "I'm dribbling and looking to make a pass, but the window suddenly closes when I pick up the ball, so I take five steps to not fall on my face" move. By the way, Kelly has low key been on fire from the perimeter. He's shooting 40% but taking only a ridiculous 1.3 shots per game. What's up with that? He needs at least four. Clarkson, on the other hand, is stinking it up by launching 4.3 bombs per game and hitting only 29%. This is on Hardy, he has to get things like this under control. Even Collins is taking 3.5 perimeter shots, on similarly nasty sub-30 accuracy.

- Something to keep an eye on: we allowed the Grizz to "guard" Lauri with various small guys (Marcus Smart, among others) far from the basket without trying to exploit it even once. Lauri did make some cuts inside and sealed his midget defender after recognizing the mismatch, but we never attempted entry passes. This is one thing where the current "big frontcourt" really hurts us. When both Kessler and a 29% shooting Collins are out there, the lane stays clogged and it's hard to find the space to exploit gimmick defenses like this. IMO Olynyk should take Kessler's starting spot for the time being. We need spacing there in the worst way.

- Dunn seems to know his days on the regular rotation are numbered. He looked just as deflated as the Grizzlies.

- Is Ochai playing himself into the G-League?

I feel like Olynyk travels 27 times per game and they only call it once or twice. LOL. I especially love his patented "I'm dribbling and looking to make a pass, but the window suddenly closes when I pick up the ball, so I take five steps to not fall on my face" move.
I think part of it is that he does these moves in extreme slow motion. Maybe it hypnotizes the refs or something.

- I feel like Olynyk travels 27 times per game and they only call it once or twice. LOL. I especially love his patented "I'm dribbling and looking to make a pass, but the window suddenly closes when I pick up the ball, so I take five steps to not fall on my face" move. By the way, Kelly has low key been on fire from the perimeter. He's shooting 40% but taking only a ridiculous 1.3 shots per game. What's up with that? He needs at least four. Clarkson, on the other hand, is stinking it up by launching 4.3 bombs per game and hitting only 29%. This is on Hardy, he has to get things like this under control. Even Collins is taking 3.5 perimeter shots, on similarly nasty sub-30 accuracy.
It's not like they want Jordan to stop shooting, that would be stupid. Also feels like a weird complaint after the game he goes 4/6 from deep (and Kelly took 4 3s).

It's not like they want Jordan to stop shooting, that would be stupid. Also feels like a weird complaint after the game he goes 4/6 from deep (and Kelly took 4 3s).
As a team, we should be finding ways to create looks for our best outside shooters. I don't think that's very controversial.

You can look at a microscopic sample if you want, but the biggest reg season sample we have is 5 games now, and Olynyk should be shooting more and some of the guards less. All I'm saying.

As a team, we should be finding ways to create looks for our best outside shooters. I don't think that's very controversial.

You can look at a microscopic sample if you want, but the biggest reg season sample we have is 5 games now, and Olynyk should be shooting more and some of the guards less. All I'm saying.
5 games is a pretty small sample size too, but I agree KO should shoot more. I don't think Clarkson should be shooting less, though. He's shooting 4.5 threes per game these 5 games, now at 39%. Clarkson's other strengths (facilitating) diminish if he isn't a constant threat to shoot.

To be fair, Cam and Jarace really aren’t getting burn either.

Jarace has 18 total mins and 12 came in a 50 point blowout loss for the Pacers tonight.

Yep. Cam with a dnp last night. Black has had multiple dnp’s as well. I have yet to see jhs name pop up in a box score either.

Sent from my iPad using JazzFanz mobile app

Random observations:

- Man, Ja really killed his team. It's not like they haven't played well without him before (even for long stretches), but this is somehow different. They just look deflated and hopeless. They're really missing Adams' leadership and defense, and Marcus Smart looks like he hates his life. I just can't see a turnaround for this team until they get Morant back. Taylor Jenkins may yet become a sacrificial lamb.

- Something to keep an eye on: we allowed the Grizz to "guard" Lauri with various small guys (Marcus Smart, among others) far from the basket without trying to exploit it even once. Lauri did make some cuts inside and sealed his midget defender after recognizing the mismatch, but we never attempted entry passes. This is one thing where the current "big frontcourt" really hurts us. When both Kessler and a 29% shooting Collins are out there, the lane stays clogged and it's hard to find the space to exploit gimmick defenses like this. IMO Olynyk should take Kessler's starting spot for the time being. We need spacing there in the worst way.

- Dunn seems to know his days on the regular rotation are numbered. He looked just as deflated as the Grizzlies.

- Is Ochai playing himself into the G-League?

Ochai played well last night. Finally got some threes to drop.
Lauri was fed in the post multiple times after sealing a smaller defender. Then a double team would come and he passed out and a teammate got a good shot that usually went in.

Sent from my iPad using JazzFanz mobile app

That was more like it. My preseason prediction that the Grizz are in trouble is real. Just can’t have that many injuries at one position AND have Ja out… not having Jones hurts. Next 2-3 games Grizz need to pick up some wins or it gets late early.

Also remember: Hardy is playing Keyonte minutes. He's not anti-rookie. He's anti playing you if he thinks you dont deserve minutes.

And it's not like Keyonte goes out there and plays mistake free flawless ball. so it's not like the bar is incredibly high to earn his trust.

That was more like it. My preseason prediction that the Grizz are in trouble is real. Just can’t have that many injuries at one position AND have Ja out… not having Jones hurts. Next 2-3 games Grizz need to pick up some wins or it gets late early.
Your prediction came before the Adams thing, right?

Plus Aldama went down at the end of the pre-season.

Also kind of surprised Laravia hasnt made any kind of 2nd year jump and looks regressed. I thought he would be a good piece for them.

Roddy looks OK. Ziaire looks OK. The young dudes Memphis has invested in dont look like roleplaying game changers for them. Maybe Aldama gets there.

Your prediction came before the Adams thing, right?

Plus Aldama went down at the end of the pre-season.
I was skeptical pre-Adam’s injury but what that happened I thought they were a play in team. Might have been too high. There are just too many unproven guys they are relying on. Also JJJ and Smart will miss 10 or so games at some point.

Also kind of surprised Laravia hasnt made any kind of 2nd year jump and looks regressed. I thought he would be a good piece for them.

Roddy looks OK. Ziaire looks OK. The young dudes Memphis has invested in dont look like roleplaying game changers for them. Maybe Aldama gets there.
You can have a couple of those types playing 15 minute roles until the get better but having one as a starter and like 4-5 more in the rotation isn’t good. Like when an Aldama injury messes everything up then you were too thin to start with… at least compared to how they were talked about.

MEM is in total disarray man. They're lack any kind of force on both ends. Offensively, no one to cut the defense and get things moving. Defensively, they are big but really slow and their host of combo forwards aren't high IQ guys.

MEM is in total disarray man. They're lack any kind of force on both ends. Offensively, no one to cut the defense and get things moving. Defensively, they are big but really slow and their host of combo forwards aren't high IQ guys.
In the quotes thread they kept talking about how we were shooting really well... and we were... but there were just a ton of open catch and shoot 3s... best looks we've had all season imo. If they are like 5-20 when Ja comes back they might conduct a tank instead of a pursuing the play-in. They have a weird swap with their first this year that I can't quite figure out how it works. Think they got a little high on their own development program and probably should have been more aggressive with cap space than they have been.

In the quotes thread they kept talking about how we were shooting really well... and we were... but there were just a ton of open catch and shoot 3s... best looks we've had all season imo. If they are like 5-20 when Ja comes back they might conduct a tank instead of a pursuing the play-in. They have a weird swap with their first this year that I can't quite figure out how it works. Think they got a little high on their own development program and probably should have been more aggressive with cap space than they have been.

To be fair, I think that every team would struggle after being down a superstar and 3 role players. It looks like a team with 3-4 real NBA players and the rest are just borderline. And as much as I hate to admit it, maybe through all of Brooks chucking/craziness he was actually helping them win. I thought there was a chance that him leaving would just help them overall bc he was so bad but they seem to have lost an edge.

I don't think they "tank" or whatever when Ja comes back. These decisions are easier said than done. But idk, I guess they could send Ja to extended rehab treatment and/or let him post on instagram again.

Big? They had two guys taller than 6'7" even suit up. They started Xavier Tillman at center.

Their problem is they dont have anyone but JJJ who can protect the paint or rebound (and JJJ isnt great at the latter) so they constantly overcommit as a team to collapsing which left our guys open on the perimeter. Thats a recurring theme for them and the main reason they have allowed 2nd most 3 point attempts against despite playing from behind.

Against us that problem was really emphasized because of our big front court and drive happy guards.