What's new

Game Thread Nov 15, 2022 07:00PM MT: Jazz vs Knicks

Added to Calendar: 11-15-22

I'm in a bad mood.

- Those jerseys are really awful. The players don't have a choice, but when we are at home and I see fans wearing them, it just makes it worse.
- This was supposed to be a stress free season. My plan for 9EST games was to watch the first half, go to bed, and catch the second half on the all possessions recap. Instead I'm staying up like an idiot and getting 5-6 hrs of sleep.
- Watching us get outworked isn't pretty. The Knicks level of effort throughout the game was pretty impressive though.
- Losing to the Knicks with MTJK on this board is unbearable.

Lauri needs the lion's share of the offensive touches. We need to get Clarkson to play off the ball and move the ball through Conley/THT, maybe Beasley, and get Lauri way more involved. He is easily our best offensive player, frankly best player all around. Getting him only 11 shots while Conley and Clarkson combine for 26 is ridiculous and a great recipe to rack up the losses. If we are embracing the tank, then fine, but otherwise Hardy needs to figure out how to get Lauri more involved in the offense. He doesn't seem to really run plays for anyone, just general ball movement to find an open shot, any open shot, regardless who is taking it. That is fine, to a point, but to win some of these games he needs some bread and butter plays in his play-book to activate his best offensive players, who at this point are Lauri and Beasley. Like Stockton to Malone pick and roll, and the screen and roll with Gobert to initiate the offense, he needs a go-to play that can pressure the defense and get his best offensive players their best shot. Right now to be honest it looks a lot like a college offensive set, even high school. When I was coaching in Reno, we ran motion offense similarly because we had some good mid-range to outside shooters and no real go-to guy. That is what Hardy is running now, as if he doesn't have a go-to guy. So, consequently, the primary ball-handlers get the most shots. That is fine when one of them is a Mitchell level player, but in this group it isn't ideal. Both Conley and Clarkson are hot and cold streak shooters. Lauri and Beasley are the most consistent. Yet they get fewer looks than Conley/Clarkson. That has to change if we want to win. If we are tanking, we can just carry on as we are going.

Absolutely no doubt the worst loss of the season.

All the stupid turnovers were about as infuriating as it gets. Clarkson trying a bounce pass between three guys on the Knicks...I don't even understand how a professional basketball player even tries a pass that dumb.
He’s like some hipster fashionista now, had to wonder if he was tripping on some new synthetic drug or something!

Our starting guards Conley and Clarkson have shot 22 for 74 the past 3 games. That is a huge problem.
Vandy disappears and opposing defenses barely even defend him.
Kelly Olynyk was the only player that showed up offensively last night.
Clarkson, Beasley and Olynyk all took more shots than Lauri. If he's supposed to be some sort of franchise player that probably shouldn't be happening.

We are likely getting our first real practice in for the season here. It will be interesting to see what adjustments the team can make with the time to practice. Our next game against Phoenix will be a good barometer type game.

Our starting guards Conley and Clarkson have shot 22 for 74 the past 3 games. That is a huge problem.
Vandy disappears and opposing defenses barely even defend him.
Kelly Olynyk was the only player that showed up offensively last night.
Clarkson, Beasley and Olynyk all took more shots than Lauri. If he's supposed to be some sort of franchise player that probably shouldn't be happening.
If Lauri isn't the focal point he gets lost in the offense because he isn't geared toward being a spot shooter. We need to run more plays for him, or start moving the ball through him like we did Gobert at times in previous years. He can almost fill a Jokic kind of role for us, but we need the schemes to initiate that. He will gain confidence and get better at it, but we have to run those plays. Without that we will continue to see ****** guard play and a non-existent Lauri. Not a good thing for us, unless we are embracing the tank, in which case, FLAME OFF FLAMETHROWER, FLAME OFF!!!

We are likely getting our first real practice in for the season here. It will be interesting to see what adjustments the team can make with the time to practice. Our next game against Phoenix will be a good barometer type game.
Make that next 2 games, with Suns and Blazers back to back lol. Blazers are looking solid. Dame stuck with them through some awful years, but now that faith and loyalty seems to be rewarding them.

Lauri needs the lion's share of the offensive touches. We need to get Clarkson to play off the ball...

Clarkson ain't changing. He might be the most consistent player in NBA history. Every season, every team, same 15 PER.

If Lauri isn't the focal point he gets lost in the offense because he isn't geared toward being a spot shooter. We need to run more plays for him, or start moving the ball through him like we did Gobert at times in previous years. He can almost fill a Jokic kind of role for us, but we need the schemes to initiate that. He will gain confidence and get better at it, but we have to run those plays. Without that we will continue to see ****** guard play and a non-existent Lauri. Not a good thing for us, unless we are embracing the tank, in which case, FLAME OFF FLAMETHROWER, FLAME OFF!!!
I love Jokic but I don't think Lauri can make plays for others like the Joker does. He is the best passing big guy I have ever seen. But definitely want to see Lauri with the ball in high post more often.

I love Jokic but I don't think Lauri can make plays for others like the Joker does. He is the best passing big guy I have ever seen. But definitely want to see Lauri with the ball in high post more often.
I never said he could BE Jokic, but rather fill a similar role in the offense, as in we move the ball through Lauri, even with hand-offs, so he gets more touches. His passing will improve, watching the Euro-league stuff he did well in all facets when he was the focal point. But he got a ton of touches and generally did good things with it. He needs that chance here too.

I never said he could BE Jokic, but rather fill a similar role in the offense, as in we move the ball through Lauri, even with hand-offs, so he gets more touches. His passing will improve, watching the Euro-league stuff he did well in all facets when he was the focal point. But he got a ton of touches and generally did good things with it. He needs that chance here too.
100% agree on that. I misinterpreted you a bit there.

Few more points on the positive note.

Knicks had a lot of visible energy and effort due to their "players only" meeting... so this was like the worst time to play them.

They also had a 3 day rest advantage, since I heard none of their players showed up for the OKC game.

I really wish we made buying low on Cam Reddish a priority in the offseason. He is the exact type of upside wing that we should be taking chances on.

I really wish we made buying low on Cam Reddish a priority in the offseason. He is the exact type of upside wing that we should be taking chances on.
Agreed but I doubt the Knicks would've even answered the phone after the Mitchell trade went off the tracks for them.

Why the **** didnt hardy challenge that play where a jazz wing (beasley or clarkson i think) played great defense and stripped the ball from a knick player and the refs said the ball went off the jazz but the replay was extremely obvious it went off the knicks.
No challenge happened, knicks hit a 3.

Sent from my iPad using JazzFanz mobile app

Why the **** didnt hardy challenge that play where a jazz wing (beasley or clarkson i think) played great defense and stripped the ball from a knick player and the refs said the ball went off the jazz but the replay was extremely obvious it went off the knicks.

For some reason Jazz coaches don't use challenges. I don't get it. I wonder if they have been told they will be judged worse if they use a challenge every game or something. It is mind-boggling. I would use mine every single game, even if we were up by 30 in the 4th quarter, just to keep the refs honest. Unless of course the whole issue is an under-the-table understanding that the refs will swing the game against you if you use your challenges too much. Seems shady AF tbpmfhwymf.

For some reason Jazz coaches don't use challenges. I don't get it. I wonder if they have been told they will be judged worse if they use a challenge every game or something. It is mind-boggling. I would use mine every single game, even if we were up by 30 in the 4th quarter, just to keep the refs honest. Unless of course the whole issue is an under-the-table understanding that the refs will swing the game against you if you use your challenges too much. Seems shady AF tbpmfhwymf.

You can only use one per game and Hardy used it on the Olynyk foul call which he won.

We did that earlier this season and Lauri did well. I wonder whats the issue we do not run those now. I saw few posts in Twitter where someone were liking how we could run half-court ball handling with Lauri. Now he goes again giving those inbound passes under our basket, and... Then runs to the corner. I guess this is all planned. I read someone talking Hardy had said he will use Lauri in different offensive and defensive situations for develomental purposes etc. I hope this stage will pass soon bc this makes no sense. His overall involvement and aggressiveness in both ends dips down when touches getting fewer.

Last edited: