What's new

Obama Government Shutdown?

Actually imo this happens because Americans are lazy. They largely refuse to truly get into the issues and understand the implications of legislation or candidate positions and vote how their friends or the media tells them to. Or vote on one or two hot button topics for them personally. "That guy needs to be voted down, he is against abortion." Or whatever.

Politicians understand this very well and turn every election and every debate on legislation into soundbites and sharp witty remarks aimed at the lowest common denominators. Get people pissed off or outraged and you get their support regardless of what is really best, or even relevant.

Romney makes a lot of money? That *******! **** him! I'd like to go golfing with Obama, he'd make a great president. He has a nice smile and sounds so smart! He's got my vote!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using JazzFanz mobile app

This is the REAL problem. Until we, INDIVIDUALLY, get over our selfishness, we are screwed.

Like I said earlier (it might have been another thread), MOST of us can easily afford health insurance. The problem is, we would rather have internet, smart phones, cable/satellite tv, eat out, and vacation more than we want to protect our future.

Until we get over our individual selfishness, we won't accomplish anything and politicians will be able to screw us over for their selfishness.

Let's not cloud the issue with generalities - this is about Obamacare. And as I already illustrated it has been debated, passed and signed into law. So you're saying the democrats should compromise on a fight they've already won?

It was won in the courts, but not with the public. The majority of the nation does not support Obamacare as it is currently written. It evolved in form after the election.

So, this isn't the Republicans fault, or the Democrats fault...it's both their fault.

My point is this: Both parties are doing the exact same thing, and we get screwed.

People should quit voting down party lines and start voting for people who are willing to work with both sides to find a happy compromise and get this country back to being successful.

in this specific instance, though, because the Republican stonewalling is over a law that was already passed by both houses of Congress AND upheld as constitutional by the Supreme Court, I think they are more to blame.

And not all Republicans, just a few dummkopfs.

in this specific instance, though, because the Republican stonewalling is over a law that was already passed by both houses of Congress AND upheld as constitutional by the Supreme Court, I think they are more to blame.

The votes tell a different story.

The public does not currently want the ACA as indicated by the polls and giving the house to republicans that ran on repealing Obamacare.

So this leaves us divided. The only way forward is compromise. Any side that won't budge is to blame. Neither will so they share the fault.

Yeah...but let's not pretend the democrats were blameless in getting the law passed.

I don't think most people hate all of Obamacare, or what it is supposed to represent. Obamacare is just a perfect example of everything that is wrong with politics these days:

written by the companies that will make all the money off it
passed without being read or debated
passed with only one side's input
passed by threats and intimidation
NO ONE even knows what it does yet
parts that aren't favorable to the left get postponed

It is just a shining example of everything that is wrong with our leadership today.

Repeal it, put 50 repubs, 50 dems and all the independents in a room and have them do it over. Have them come up with a bill that they have actually read. That they understand. That they agree on. Have them realize that they won't get everything they want, but with level heads and good discussion, they can make compromises when needed, and win important things when needed as well.

I'd get behind a healthcare law that did those things. Obamacare? We can't even tell if it is crap or amazing.

I like some things about the ACA. Such as no copays for preventative appointments for minor kids. Covering kids on your insurance till they are 26 (didn't go far enough in my opinion)...

WIC vouchers are not going out.

National Parks are closed

National Monuments are closed

Limited services in agencies that are open

Think about all the ways that trickles down. Section 8 housing wants your benefit statement from SSA to qualify. SSA will not issue them until the shutdown is over.

In Utah you need a Social Security Card to get a drivers license. No Social Security card till the shutdown is over so no drivers license. Increase illegal drivers.

Headstart programs lose funding.

The votes tell a different story.

The public does not currently want the ACA as indicated by the polls and giving the house to republicans that ran on repealing Obamacare.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/oct/01/healthcare-obamacare-affordable-care-act

A few weeks ago, a CNBC poll purported to show major differences when asked about the law in different manners: 46% were against Obamacare, while only 37% were opposed to the ACA.

We are all doomed.

It was won in the courts, but not with the public. The majority of the nation does not support Obamacare as it is currently written. It evolved in form after the election.

Right and when earlier this year upwards of 85% of the country were for tougher gun control laws the house republicans were front and center making sure the people got what they wanted.

I don't think most people agree this is way to go forward, and the polls support that.
Holding the country hostage is the wrong way to start a debate. Punishing people to try and get compromise is asinine.
It's desperate, and not the way I want my government to work. You don't **** your own people over ever to win a fight. Dems or Reps. This tactic is wrong.

Let the bill go forward, and work to improve it. The majority of Americans, even the skeptical ones are for this approach over what the House is doing.

I like some things about the ACA. Such as no copays for preventative appointments for minor kids. Covering kids on your insurance till they are 26 (didn't go far enough in my opinion)...

Both of those could have been handled independently without making it part of a thousand page financial albatross.

Oh and every insurance I have had for the past 8 years covers preventive appointments (mamograms, physical, well-child checkups, etc.) anyway.

I don't think most people agree this is way to go forward, and the polls support that.
Holding the country hostage is the wrong way to start a debate. Punishing people to try and get compromise is asinine.
It's desperate, and not the way I want my government to work. You don't **** your own people over ever to win a fight. Dems or Reps. This tactic is wrong.

Let the bill go forward, and work to improve it. The majority of Americans, even the skeptical ones are for this approach over what the House is doing.

I agree that they should let the bill go forward. They should fix what's broken, repeal what doesn't work and expand what does.

But this notion of 1 party blame is naive at best.

Both of those could have been handled independently without making it part of a thousand page financial albatross.

Oh and every insurance I have had for the past 8 years covers preventive appointments (mamograms, physical, well-child checkups, etc.) anyway.

Yes they absolutely could have. But they weren't. They were included in the ACA and I happen to like them.

I agree that they should let the bill go forward. They should fix what's broken, repeal what doesn't work and expand what does.

But this notion of 1 party blame is naive at best.

For the government shut down absolutely one party is to blame.

Shutting down the government is not what they were elected to do.

Repeal Obamacare is part of what they were elected to do. The budget and Obamacare have been tied together by both sides. So here we are.

Shutting down the government is not what they were elected to do.

Right?

This is law. Not proposed law, actual law. They refused to find a way to fund it because they don't agree with it even though it's been through 40+ votes to repeal, and a judgement from the Judicial branch.

How is this not the GOP's fault?