What's new

Ochai Agbaji, Can Someone Shed Some Light?

#UJ4ever

So Ochai was the 14th pick in the draft and I would think would be considered a possible piece of the Jazz future, yet we are not seeing him play. If there are that many players ahead of him on the team is he just not really very good? Does anyone know if he he has been hurt recently or more about what to expect with him? I was very happy to see we acquired him in the Mitchell trade but now I'm wondering about him. Any info on this is appreciated.

Thanks

I'm going to assume he needs to bide his time as there are too many guys at his position. Right now Beasley is the designated shooter getting those minutes.
My guess is THT beat out NAW in preseason.
Beasley is ahead of Agbaji.
Gay is ahead of Fontecchio.

If Beasley and/or Gay get dealt that is going to open up minutes for Agbaji and Fontecchio.

Jazz don't have a superstar but might be the deepest team with the best 2nd/3rd units in the league. At some point Agbaji will get his minutes.

We simply have too many good players, specifically guards, for a tanking team. So there aren't minutes in the rotation yet.

We simply have too many good players, specifically guards, for a tanking team. So there aren't minutes in the rotation yet.
They are clearly not tanking and so minutes for Agbaji will come only when that changes after the trade deadline or he has had enough time in the g league to learn the Jazz ways and be capable of fitting into whatever spot they need him at the 3 is the most likely this season not the 2 guard. If they stay this way all season playing hard and beating good teams, Ochai might not see more than 10 minutes an outing even after half a season learning the ropes.
But , if they go into full tank after veteran movement in January, he will or at least should be getting 20 per.
Hardy is too good of a coach to tank imo without injuries or trades though

So Ochai was the 14th pick in the draft and I would think would be considered a possible piece of the Jazz future, yet we are not seeing him play. If there are that many players ahead of him on the team is he just not really very good? Does anyone know if he he has been hurt recently or more about what to expect with him? I was very happy to see we acquired him in the Mitchell trade but now I'm wondering about him. Any info on this is appreciated.

Thanks
has nothing to do with what you think. He is a proven skilled prospect rookie on a team with vets ahead of him because they are vets, not because they are good or he is bad or something.

We have good players in his position. Yes. But aren't we gonna let them all go in a season or two?

Benching Ochai in favor of Beasley/Gay/Tucker very much reminds me of the Marvin/R. Jefferson/Devin Harris/Millsap/Big AL from Corbin era. Remember, we played all these folks heavy minutes only to allow them leave us in FA for free.

If we can at least get a few picks from them it would’ve made sense. But if we are trying to tank and we aren't getting any good value in return, it makes zero sense to play them, let alone playing them heavy minutes over our young prospects who are gonna be here for more than just a couple of seasons.

We have good players in his position. Yes. But aren't we gonna let them all go in a season or two?

Benching Ochai in favor of Beasley/Gay/Tucker very much reminds me of the Marvin/R. Jefferson/Devin Harris/Millsap/Big AL from Corbin era. Remember, we played all these folks heavy minutes only to allow them leave us in FA for free.

If we can at least get a few picks from them it would’ve made sense. But if we are trying to tank and we aren't getting any good value in return, it makes zero sense to play them, let alone playing them heavy minutes over our young prospects who are gonna be here for more than just a couple of seasons.
I can only assume they are going to trade off a few of these vets for picks after they raise their value.

I can only assume they are going to trade off a few of these vets for picks after they raise their value.
The thing with these vets is that there is no value to raise as everyone already knew what they can bring to the table. If they are washed they are washed, giving them heavy minutes will only have them exposed.

There's a lot of players competing for one rotation spot, but those players aren't exactly good players. THT has obviously come out on top and based on the preseason NAW is ahead of Ochai as well. Ochai isn't exactly a young prospect (THT is younger) or a high potential prospect. I think it's fair to expect a player with his profile to beat out replacement level players that are his same age, but he didn't get it done. It could also be seen as positive development for THT and NAW, but I won't believe they're good players until I see it.

He will get his chance eventually, and coaches aren't always right about their initial player evaluations, but I don't think it's nothing that Ochai got beat out by two crappy players.

He's not only getting benched for vets, he's also getting benched for other young players who haven't proven anything. This is more like Butler being benched for Trent Forrest.

He's not only getting benched for vets, he's also getting benched for other young players who haven't proven anything. This is more like Butler being benched for Trent Forrest.
Caleb Love is that you??? Ochai not playing in the opener as a rookie given his positional experience would make Sexton or Beasley have to sit not NWA or THT. Get with it man. Och who hasn't been in Utah or the NBA long enough to recognize his own teammates let alone the other teams, the only reason Kessler got minutes is because Olynyk stinks and there is no depth there at all with Udoka hurt. NAW was not playing because he is a scrub that cannot shoot or defend and THT getting some 5th option minutes scoring 3 points and 2 steals in 14 minutes is hardly reflective of him outplaying a rookie wing with an elite shooting stroke that isn't a creator.
Your take on Agbaji is terrible

Caleb Love is that you??? Ochai not playing in the opener as a rookie given his positional experience would make Sexton or Beasley have to sit not NWA or THT. Get with it man. Och who hasn't been in Utah or the NBA long enough to recognize his own teammates let alone the other teams, the only reason Kessler got minutes is because Olynyk stinks and there is no depth there at all with Udoka hurt. NAW was not playing because he is a scrub that cannot shoot or defend and THT getting some 5th option minutes scoring 3 points and 2 steals in 14 minutes is hardly reflective of him outplaying a rookie wing with an elite shooting stroke that isn't a creator.
Your take on Agbaji is terrible

I don't think you think that trashing THT and NAW is having the affect that you think it does. Fact is, those guys have gotten time ahead of Ochai.

I don't think you think that trashing THT and NAW is having the affect that you think it does. Fact is, those guys have gotten time ahead of Ochai.
they are not rookies genius and they are not on the depth chart positionally ahead of him in any way shape or form so outplaying him has nothing nada zip to do with the coach electing to bring him on slower. You have never coached I guess, or if you do your teams are talking Victors not victory

Agbaji will get his turn. I'm sure he is part of the long term plan. Jazz have him under contract for years. Let the other guys play so we can trade them, and he can grow with the future.

The jazz have long term guys (Agbaji, Kessler, Fontecchio), intermediate fliers (THT, NAW, Sexton) , and short term tradeable assets (Gay, Conley, Clarkson, Beasley). He's a long term guy.

they are not rookies genius and they are not on the depth chart positionally ahead of him in any way shape or form so outplaying him has nothing nada zip to do with the coach electing to bring him on slower. You have never coached I guess, or if you do your teams are talking Victors not victory

LMAO...one game into the season and we've already had the "Do you even coach broooo" take. Another addition to the block list.

As he did game one of last season, but then it went sharply downhill. Hopefully that won't be the case and they can get something in trade for him.
Right. Ocahi Agbaji could easily replicate the performance that we saw from the veteran as a shooter as soon as NOW. They will bring him along slow obviously because others with larger holes in their minds about how to play team basketball need the reps to remain worthy of this rebuild. I think it is only typical of passionate tank hopefull fans to dream up scenarios where THT or NAW have outplayed the man. They have not.

hardy doesn't have the balls (and respect) necessary to bench veterans. rookies will just sit there and shut up - thankful they are in the league. veterans will be pissed and hardy doesn't want that smoke at this point in his coaching career. once he grows a pair and gains some respect - if he ever does, guys like Ochai and Bolmaro will get some time.

Kessler plays because there isn't anybody else. as long as hardy has veteran options at the same positions as ochai, he'll be on the bench. it sucks, but it's reality. Pop can start and play a guy like Sochan who isn't even close to ready 27 minutes because he's willing to tell the vets to gfy. that's how you properly tank. you play dudes who aren't otherwise ready because winning now isn't the ultimate goal and it speeds up their development.

Last edited: