What's new

Off-season 2020 Conley Trade Ideas

I actually think Chicago has a good chance of losing Dunn... his qualifying offer is now like 7.5M so he may be unrestricted. They have White/Lavine/Sato and may end up drafting another guard.

Sometimes thing work, sometimes they don't, but Conley's regression this year has been sobering. It's not really the points, to me, it's the shooting percentage both from 2 and 3 which are basically career lows.

Not exactly a good return rate for $32M. Is he going to turn down $34M next year to chase a ring for someone? Not so sure, but you kind of hope he does.

the drop in percentages is awful. But I’d also add that he just looked physically overpowered + had very few ways to help get his teammates involved.

He played small, with few dimensions, and shot horribly.

One of the worst trades in all the NBA over a decade-long span.

the drop in percentages is awful. But I’d also add that he just looked physically overpowered + had very few ways to help get his teammates involved.

He played small, with few dimensions, and shot horribly.

One of the worst trades in all the NBA over a decade-long span.
Looked at some lineup data today... because why not. Conley and JC off the bench actually worked pretty well. If we can't find anything better to do with him I hope the front office allows the coach to move him to the bench (they essentially neutered the coach when he tried the first time).

Would love to see the Jazz try and get Matt Thomas from the Raptors if they release him. Who is Matt Thomas? He's one of the best shooters in the world and you've never heard of him. His nickname is Mr. 99% because that was his catch and shoot shooting % for a whole season while playing for Valencia in Spain.

99%.

No one is going to trade for Mike, the Jazz front office will just have to ride out that blunder.
Maybe... just don't put the blunder in the driver seat... bring him off the bench and limit the minutes... he might be effective in that role.

I also think a team like NY would love to have Mike when they miss out on their free agent targets. Philly would swap him and his deal for Horford in a second... he can be moved if we really wanted.

Maybe... just don't put the blunder in the driver seat... bring him off the bench and limit the minutes... he might be effective in that role.

I also think a team like NY would love to have Mike when they miss out on their free agent targets. Philly would swap him and his deal for Horford in a second... he can be moved if we really wanted.
I don’t see the jazz taking on that much money for that many years and also, he’s probably about to fall off a cliff soon possibly.

Take a break, dude. Horford is awful and trading Conley for him would be the worst FO decision in team history...and Conley isn’t coming off the bench. It’s a pipe dream.

Take a break, dude. Horford is awful and trading Conley for him would be the worst FO decision in team history...and Conley isn’t coming off the bench. It’s a pipe dream.
He’s not awful. He’s functional and is one of the most versatile centers as far as protecting the paint and guarding on the perimeter. We’d also get other stuff in the deal because of his contract. The money is very likely too problematic.

Conley coming off the bench almost happened... how is that a pipe dream. Quin made the decision and then the front office overruled him. Dragic was great off the bench for the Heat this year. It may prolong Mikes career and give him a few years as a super sub... his days as a starter are number... if he wants to continue his career it’d be good to move to the next phase.

He’s not awful. He’s functional and is one of the most versatile centers as far as protecting the paint and guarding on the perimeter. We’d also get other stuff in the deal because of his contract. The money is very likely too problematic.

Conley coming off the bench almost happened... how is that a pipe dream. Quin made the decision and then the front office overruled him. Dragic was great off the bench for the Heat this year. It may prolong Mikes career and give him a few years as a super sub... his days as a starter are number... if he wants to continue his career it’d be good to move to the next phase.
He’s still useful, but starting to break down and he’s got I think 3 more years on a max deal or something.

He’s still useful, but starting to break down and he’s got I think 3 more years on a max deal or something.
Not sure he’s breaking down. Doesn’t have a max deal but it’s at like 27M a year for two more years with a third year that is 50% guaranteed. It’s too spendy for us unless we let traded Rudy or if he left. If the cap was not going to dip it’d be a consideration (we’d get a couple picks in a deal too) but in the current environment it’s too spendy.

Not sure he’s breaking down. Doesn’t have a max deal but it’s at like 27M a year for two more years with a third year that is 50% guaranteed. It’s too spendy for us unless we let traded Rudy or if he left. If the cap was not going to dip it’d be a consideration (we’d get a couple picks in a deal too) but in the current environment it’s too spendy.
If we had to trade Gobert (he's leaving or demands super max), Conley for Horford has some logic to it. Sure Horford is overpaid and getting old, but he is a good player. We need good players. Do I love it? No. Next year, Horford makes a ton less than Conley so there's also that.

Sent from my VS995 using JazzFanz mobile app

Trading for Horford is simply dumb as ****. We’re not winning it all with him and he does nothing but eat up cap room we need to sign guys who can fit in with our window. Seriously, it’s retarded. Go watch the Sixers.

@LoPo gonna love this ****.

I'm seeing that the Knicks are basically saying we hate Kevin Knox. I get it... he is terrible... like really bad... like a poor man's Trey Lyles. That's not very good... but they have done him no favors... kid is not even 21. He's in NY. The organization is toxic and they have played him as a SF with a bunch of ball hoggy dudes and they have no shooting. As bad as he's been he's has the type of frame that has some upside (6'9" with a close to 7 foot wingspan), he's kinda athletic and his shot isn't broken. Even if he was good I think that environment really chokes out talent... you can plant an amazing fruit tree in the desert and it will still die.

Frankie Smokes has also been bad... solid defender and still super young. Worth a flyer on talent... At very least I could see him as a solid 4th guard alongside DM or JC to take the tougher defensive assignment. The biggest asset he provides is that he is the link that binds our two best players. DM is tight with him and he is French which will hopefully help him identify with Rudy.

Two interesting flyers... 1 may have some locker room benefits. We tout our ability to develop guys... here are some guys that had enough talent/upside to get drafted in the mid lottery.

NY needs Mike Conley... he's perfect... help them build some respect, veteran that can setup the younger guys, help their team go from anemic to scrappy? Can serve as a mentor to whatever young pg they draft (if they draft a pg).

Sooooo.... we trade Mike for Frank and Knox and 2-3 good second round picks (they have Charlotte and Detroit's 2nd rounders in 2021). They can do an uneven trade because they have copious amounts of cap space. This obviously saves us some money, but it also creates a huge trade exception. So say we get a player like Christian Wood to agree to sign with us for something over the midlevel... we now have a cap asset to use in a sign and trade. Detroit could pick up a second rounder for their trouble. Could also be used in season and we could use our MLE without worry of going into the tax. Basically this offseason we will be choosing between using the MLE or re-signing JC... doing both will push us in the tax and that ain't happening in this economic environment.

Basically I am good with our top 6 dudes right now... Ingles, DM, Bojan, Royce, Rudy with JC off the bench... we have some interesting prospects but I could see Frank being a solid 8th guy... I have less hope for Knox but he's kind of a big swing guy. IF he figures it out (and he has a lot to figure out) he's a high upside talent and the type of player that is really valuable. I honestly have more hope for Brantley being a useful player.

Having the trade exception allows us to do some things to add to that top 6 with something more useful than Mike. He's our 7th most important player imo and redundant... yet he eats up a ton of our cap space. Would rather get some flyers, middling draft assets, and cap flexibility.
I would love to have Knox and/or Nkilitina. We need quality, youthful depth with upside. Would they take Conley for those two? I don't think so. NY could do so much more.

Ed Davis for either makes sense. NY saves over $1 million trading Frank for Ed. We would probably have to include a future 2nd in either case, but I would do it.

Maybe a 3 team deal where....

Chris Paul to NY
Conley and NY picks to OKC
Knox, FrankN, OKC scraps to us

Trading for Horford is simply dumb as ****. We’re not winning it all with him and he does nothing but eat up cap room we need to sign guys who can fit in with our window. Seriously, it’s retarded. Go watch the Sixers.
Horford was a major player on the injury depleted Celtics. He has a comprehensive skill set. Fit means a ton. Horford was a bad fit in Philly next to really slow Embiid.

Next season, I would much rather have Horford at $27 than Conley at $34.5. His salary sucks for 21/22, but I think he fits well here.

Horford was a major player on the injury depleted Celtics. He has a comprehensive skill set. Fit means a ton. Horford was a bad fit in Philly next to really slow Embiid.

Next season, I would much rather have Horford at $27 than Conley at $34.5. His salary sucks for 21/22, but I think he fits well here.

smfh.