What's new

Official trade Exum and/or Bradley into cap space thread

Cool Story.

Exum was historically horrible as a rookie.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2488602-how-dante-exum-can-bounce-back-from-rough-rookie-season

He was a complete embarrassment and liability on the offensive end. I really don't care about his defense. Perimeter defense in this league is super overrated. Especially when you factor in his offense. You can't win in today's league with a guard as abysmal on offense as Exum. Since his rookie year he's maintained his ghost status on offense and routinely gets hurt before Christmas. If we can unload him for a 2nd round pick let alone a decent player, you do it. If the NBA had 6 rounds, like the NFL, I'd unload him for a 6th round pick. The sooner we get him off this roster and replace him with a productive player, the better.

View attachment 7543
Sure, those are stats from the offense perspective, he was really young and in experience. He was smart to not try and do much except get the ball into the playmakers hands quickly and get out of the way on that end of the court, that is why the stats you posted show him that low. He played elite defense though which is not accounted for in your stats, our team played elite defense with him and we won a lot of games during that stretch. Exum then went down in the off season and missed the next year and our team was worse the next year than we were with Exum starting. Those things matter.

Sure, those are stats from the offense perspective, he was really young and in experience. He was smart to not try and do much except get the ball into the playmakers hands quickly and get out of the way on that end of the court, that is why the stats you posted show him that low. He played elite defense though which is not accounted for in your stats, our team played elite defense with him and we won a lot of games during that stretch. Exum then went down in the off season and missed the next year and our team was worse the next year than we were with Exum starting. Those things matter.

If you are a lottery pick you can't suck at offense only late 1st rounders and 2nd rounders can get away with being one dimensional. Dante sucks come to terms with it geez

Exum isn't getting traded, and right now would be an awful time to trade him, value wise.

He's still a guy with great speed and size, who can guard 1-3 quite well. The Jazz aren't going to give up on him yet. A wing defender of his caliber will be more important in the playoffs than Jamychal Green.

The thing with Exum is that if we don't deal him away before next summer we might lose Royce when his deal expires

Let me ask you this ... Do you feel that it's enough for a lottery pick to only be good at defense ? Suck at shooting ? Bricks open layups and is very nervous running an Offense ? Dante is still all of these so that's why I think he is a bust. As I said earlier front office is hoping and praying he pans out because he was a mistake both by being drafted and then extending him
I dont really care where he was drafted at. He was always going to be a huge project that took awhile to develop. I know you and others wanted him to be much better quickly but the team did not expect that, they knew he was a long term project. That project got set back even further by injuries.

Exum was those things before, you are talking about stuff from his rookie year when he was just out of high school. But last year he looked good running the offense and was not nervous. He was great in the pick and roll the last 2 years at a very high level. He has shown that he is an elite defender, he is elite at getting to the rim, and can be elite as the ball handler in the pick and roll. He needs to get better at finish (although he started to show this) to be a really good roll player. I think he is already at that level when healthy. If he can start to shoot consistently then I think he is going to be really good. I am not sure if he will pick this up though.

The Front Office isnt just hoping and praying because they dont want to admit they made a mistake. They see the potential in him and really like him as a player going forward. They have expressed frustration over the injuries setting him back but everyone still believes he is going to be good, that is why they are keeping him.

And what's that? What is the "Jazz DNA?"

Morris plays good defense, is awesome at hitting perimeter shots, plays the 4, and plays damn hard.

I'm not sure what people mean anymore by "Jazz DNA."

I think it means guys who don’t jump guys and curb stomp them. They’ve had some off the court stuff. Maybe it was just one occasion but that’s what I mean.

If you are a lottery pick you can't suck at offense only late 1st rounders and 2nd rounders can get away with being one dimensional. Dante sucks come to terms with it geez

Except he doesn't suck.

Is he as good as Utah thought he would be? No, he isn't.

But when healthy, he's a tremendous defender. That still matters, especially in the playoffs. He just hasn't been able to stay healthy.

I'm not saying he's great, or essential, but saying he sucks is completely ignoring the defensive part of the game. If he can be like Andre Roberson for us, that's very valuable.

I think it means guys who don’t jump guys and curb stomp them. They’ve had some off the court stuff. Maybe it was just one occasion but that’s what I mean.

Oh, the "court stuff" that both brothers were acquitted from? The "court stuff" where their accuser was found lying 9 times to police over? Hmmmmm...

https://www.nba.com/article/2017/10/03/morris-brothers-acquitted-assault-trial

Defense attorneys pressed Hood during his testimony about his financial motives in the case and his knowledge of the NBA players' substantial financial assets.

They also repeatedly said Hood lied to police nine times when he said both twins were involved in the assault. Hood later changed his statement to say Markieff did not beat him but had been in the vicinity.

Eckstein, the lawyer for Marcus Morris, said during closing arguments that Hood knew he had to "double down on Marcus" beating him because the case wouldn't be worth anything without one of the brothers involved.

Hood testified he wanted justice for the beating that left him with a broken nose and other injuries.

He said he has known the Morris brothers since their youth basketball days, but they had a falling out in 2011.

Hood testified that his relationship with the twins became strained because of a misinterpreted text message he sent their mother. But he said there was nothing "improper" happening with him and their mother.

That is true that you would expect that. Good thing I think he will be good on both ends of the court like he has shown the last 2 years. I have no idea why you and others expected him to be good on offense his rookie year and why you are basing everything about his play from then. But, its fine. Time will tell. He looked good when he came back 2 years ago towards the end of the season. He looked good last year when he finally earned some playing time before his injury.

Regardless of where he was picked even if he never gets great on offense he can still have a role on the team as a role player. Just because he isnt what you wanted doesnt mean you should dump him or that he sucks.

Its not like 5th picks usually turn out really good. More often they are meh, just like most picks outside of maybe the top 3. Hezonja, Len, and Thomas Robinson were the 5th picks before and after Exum.

I dont really care where he was drafted at. He was always going to be a huge project that took awhile to develop. I know you and others wanted him to be much better quickly but the team did not expect that, they knew he was a long term project. That project got set back even further by injuries.

Exum was those things before, you are talking about stuff from his rookie year when he was just out of high school. But last year he looked good running the offense and was not nervous. He was great in the pick and roll the last 2 years at a very high level. He has shown that he is an elite defender, he is elite at getting to the rim, and can be elite as the ball handler in the pick and roll. He needs to get better at finish (although he started to show this) to be a really good roll player. I think he is already at that level when healthy. If he can start to shoot consistently then I think he is going to be really good. I am not sure if he will pick this up though.

The Front Office isnt just hoping and praying because they dont want to admit they made a mistake. They see the potential in him and really like him as a player going forward. They have expressed frustration over the injuries setting him back but everyone still believes he is going to be good, that is why they are keeping him.

You realize it's just not the numerous of fans on here that think Dante sucks right? The league knows he is a bust look at the articles. So what if he was a long term project ? 2nd rounders are showing more and could whoop Dante's *** and outplay him. You are a Dante homer it's clear

Except he doesn't suck.

Is he as good as Utah thought he would be? No, he isn't.

But when healthy, he's a tremendous defender. That still matters, especially in the playoffs. He just hasn't been able to stay healthy.

I'm not saying he's great, or essential, but saying he sucks is completely ignoring the defensive part of the game. If he can be like Andre Roberson for us, that's very valuable.

We are overpaying for a one trick pony, a glass boned player at that ...

That is true that you would expect that. Good thing I think he will be good on both ends of the court like he has shown the last 2 years. I have no idea why you and others expected him to be good on offense his rookie year and why you are basing everything about his play from then. But, its fine. Time will tell. He looked good when he came back 2 years ago towards the end of the season. He looked good last year when he finally earned some playing time before his injury.

Regardless of where he was picked even if he never gets great on offense he can still have a role on the team as a role player. Just because he isnt what you wanted doesnt mean you should dump him or that he sucks.

Its not like 5th picks usually turn out really good. More often they are meh, just like most picks outside of maybe the top 3. Hezonja, Len, and Thomas Robinson were the 5th picks before and after Exum.

Would you speak on the much better players chosen after him ? Utah would be in a better spot with them now than exum

You realize it's just not the numerous of fans on here that think Dante sucks right? The league knows he is a bust look at the articles. So what if he was a long term project ? 2nd rounders are showing more and could whoop Dante's *** and outplay him. You are a Dante homer it's clear

Yeah, Ill trust Snyders, DL and the rest of our staffs opinion on him over random fans who dont watch him around the league and write he is a bust based on reading the box scores. The reason I bring up long term project is because he is. He is still 23 and missed 3-4 seasons of development, so he is still developing and still showing he has huge upside in the future. Plenty of players are better early but dont have big upside. There are a couple 2nd rounders that are showing more. That happens all the time though of a lot of players, I am not sure why that is an argument for you. There are usually a couple 2nd rounders that turn into really good players. There have been some star players in the 2nd round.

I am a bit of a Exum homer. You are an Exum hater so thats cool I guess to point that out.

If you don’t have to use a first to do it, this is a no-brainer.

I would call the Knicks since they still have a ton of space but no clue what they’re doing.

I would strongly look at just absorbing Ilyasova if Milwaukee is willing to send an asset.

The thing with Exum is that if we don't deal him away before next summer we might lose Royce when his deal expires
Royce could very well take a jump this year and land himself a starting job. I’m just glad that A.) he’ll be a RFA, B.) Jazz will have Bird rights and C.) he likes it in Utah. I think he’ll be a long term piece regardless of what happens with Exum.