What's new

OFFICIAL: Utah Jazz will not offer Ty Corbin a new contract

I expect a great breakout season for Kanter and Burks.

I'd love too see a starting five of:

Burke
Burks
Wiggins
Kanter
Favors

Bye bye Hayward! Not worth the money he is asking for... Should try to get something for him...
Disagree on the Hayward front. It's easy to kick a man when he's down. And the Jazz wouldn't be able to get anything for him. They either match an offer or don't - it's that simple. Sign and trades are largely a thing of the past with the new CBA.

Gordon is a very talented player. There's a reason he gets invited to the national team camps. He just needs to be used like he was last year. Let the PG do his job. Hayward can occasionally be a playmaker, but not almost every time. Increase his shooting efficiency, downgrade his assists and he can be an 18/5/4 player.

Besides, whatever he's paid really doesn't matter. Jazz have plenty of space up to the luxury tax for 5 years. The tricky part for Utah will be when the next pay raises come around.

Just thinking out loud, I think Alex Jensen will be retained. It's only a matter of time before he's handed the keys somewhere.

Here's a name to keep in mind as someone that's highly thought of and fits the analytical bill: David Fizdale.

Disagree on the Hayward front. It's easy to kick a man when he's down. And the Jazz wouldn't be able to get anything for him. They either match an offer or don't - it's that simple. Sign and trades are largely a thing of the past with the new CBA.

Gordon is a very talented player. There's a reason he gets invited to the national team camps. He just needs to be used like he was last year. Let the PG do his job. Hayward can occasionally be a playmaker, but not almost every time.

Besides, whatever he's paid really doesn't matter. Jazz have plenty of space up to the luxury tax for 5 years. The tricky part for Utah will be when the next pay raises come around.

I disagree. You always need to be smart with contracts. That way you always have room to make moves to improve the team.

I just heard DL during the press conference that they might bring Ty back into the organization.

Screen-Cap-22.png

Dennis,"I would never rule out the possibility of having Ty Corbin as a member of this organization in the future."

I just heard DL during the press conference that they might bring Ty back into the organization.

Screen-Cap-22.png

If Ty is not in a position to manage roations or make decisions why not? he is a hard worker and a good guy. Character. If he is taking orders and executing someone elses plan I am OK with that.

Gordon is a very talented player. There's a reason he gets invited to the national team camps. He just needs to be used like he was last year. Let the PG do his job. Hayward can occasionally be a playmaker, but not almost every time. Increase his shooting efficiency, downgrade his assists and he can be an 18/5/4 player.

How do you figure Jazz have plenty of space for the next five years? We don't even know who or what everyone will be making. Favors gets 10-11 million a year and if the Jazz re-sign Hayward to a similar deal they will have 22+ million tied into two players. They have Kanter, and Burk coming up for contracts and then Burke. In four years they will have to pay this years #1. While the Jazz are currently in great financial position they could easily be in trouble in a couple of years trying to sign all their guys. This is why they need to be wise in the FA market.

I disagree. You always need to be smart with contracts. That way you always have room to make moves to improve the team.
Yes, within reason. Certainly if LA or Phoenix steps up and offers him a MAX contract, the Jazz would be unwise to match it. But a couple million over what they think is Hayward's worth is not a big deal, not when it's the difference between losing a lottery pick for nothing or retaining the services of a pretty good starter. The only caveat to that is if they could find a player of equal ability in the free agent market, which they won't this summer.

If Ty is offered the DePaul HC job he will take it.
He's a DePaul player from the Ray Meyer glory days.

I expect a great breakout season for Kanter and Burks.

I'd love too see a starting five of:

Burke
Burks
Wiggins
Kanter
Favors

Bye bye Hayward! Not worth the money he is asking for... Should try to get something for him...

If he is, good for Hayward.

Classy Kid.

We are at a Juncture

New Coach - Check.

Hayward - we'll see. (My guess is still he will be offer 12 and we will not match (

How do you figure Jazz have plenty of space for the next five years? We don't even know who or what everyone will be making. Favors gets 10-11 million a year and if the Jazz re-sign Hayward to a similar deal they will have 22+ million tied into two players. They have Kanter, and Burk coming up for contracts and then Burke. In four years they will have to pay this years #1. While the Jazz are currently in great financial position they could easily be in trouble in a couple of years trying to sign all their guys. This is why they need to be wise in the FA market.
As Hayward and Favors' contracts come to and end. Then, as I said, they'll be forced to make hard choices. Even IF Kanter, Favors, Burks and Hayward are all in at an average of $10-$12M, that still leaves $30M-$35M+ under the luxury tax for everyone else. Jazz are in good shape UNTIL all the class from Favors/Hayward on come up for their next contracts. If Hayward gets $12M (like Favors did), the salary fits. If he improves upon the player he was last season, it's a good deal. If he plays like he did this season, then his contract is up and the Jazz let him walk in 5 years and there's no problem signing our #4 pick, McDermott, to a MAX deal. Just kidding...I mean Wiggins.

Sorry, I'm just a Hayward believer. I think this year was an outlier due to many factors.

Don't really want boylen as the new coach. Guess it all matters who is interested in the job

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As Hayward and Favors' contracts come to and end. Then, as I said, they'll be forced to make hard choices. Even IF Kanter, Favors, Burks and Hayward are all in at an average of $10-$12M, that still leaves $30M-$35M+ under the luxury tax for everyone else.

Favors is in the boat. He signed a new contract before the season started for got $$$$. Hayward is the one that is iffy right now.

Favors is in the boat. He signed a new contract before the season started for got $$$$. Hayward is the one that is iffy right now.
Yes, I know that. I'm saying if all FOUR are "in the boat" for $45M or so per year, that still leaves $30M in today's dollars under the luxury tax. I think it increased to $75M or so and will be even higher in 5 years. You can't have 7 players at $10M each. But you can probably have 5 (as long as they aren't max), then a couple decent salaries underneath that. Then you have a few players on rookie deals and round out the roster with vet-minimum guys and other roster fillers.

Jazz may eventually have to let a player or two go of the current "core" + this year's pick. But it's really not an issue money-wise for 5 years. Don't forget we don't have to pay anyone from our 2012 draft. So Utah gets a break from working contracts after the extensions or matches for Kanter and Burks.

Yes, I know that. I'm saying if all FOUR are "in the boat" for $45M or so per year, that still leaves $30M in today's dollars under the luxury tax. I think it increased to $75M or so and will be even higher in 5 years. You can't have 7 players at $10M each. But you can probably have 5 (as long as they aren't max), then a couple decent salaries underneath that. Then you have a few players on rookie deals and round out the roster with vet-minimum guys and other roster fillers.

Jazz may eventually have to let a player or two go of the current "core" + this year's pick. But it's really not an issue money-wise for 5 years.

The "core" will be broken up for reasons other than money.

Is anyone actually excited about this "Official" news when the writing has been on the wall the last 4 months?

LOL @ Core4

I know you try hard to come up with different theories, (i.e., Ty demoted to become a scout for the Jazz). I know you try hard bro, but it's also sad to see how none of them have come to pass.

LOL @ Core4

I know you try hard to come up with different theories, (i.e., Ty demoted to become a scout for the Jazz). I know you try hard bro, but it's also sad to see how none of them have come to pass.
What? I never came up with theories for Ty remaining. Never said he should stay. I was the one being negged repeatedly by franklin for saying Ty had to let go. Have no idea why you are LOL'ng at me. I'm one of the happiest guys on the board right now.