What's new

OFFICIAL: Utah Jazz will not offer Ty Corbin a new contract

Corbin will probably go through what ever one else goes through. He will go be an assistant somewhere again and eventually get another shot, he is still young.

Terry Stotts had a horrible record as a HC in the 2000's, went back to being an assistant, and is now considered a good HC.

What? I never came up with theories for Ty remaining. Never said he should stay. I was the one being negged repeatedly by franklin for saying Ty had to let go. Have no idea why you are LOL'ng at me. I'm one of the happiest guys on the board right now.

Wasn't it you who said Lindsey was very smart in giving Ty credit for drafting Burke so that he can be transitioned into a scouting role if Ty is not offered the coaching contract?

Core4 - I don't think the core is kept together because they just aren't that good. I think we have grossly overrated how good they actually are.

Wasn't it you who said Lindsey was very smart in giving Ty credit for drafting Burke so that he can be transitioned into a scouting role if Ty is not offered the coaching contract?

Never EVER continue working for a company that has demoted you. That law is in stone and been set for a thousand years. You can return to the company later (ala Steve Jobs), but taking an immediate position is suicide.

Yes, within reason. Certainly if LA or Phoenix steps up and offers him a MAX contract, the Jazz would be unwise to match it. But a couple million over what they think is Hayward's worth is not a big deal, not when it's the difference between losing a lottery pick for nothing or retaining the services of a pretty good starter. The only caveat to that is if they could find a player of equal ability in the free agent market, which they won't this summer.

Good points, and lets not forget max deals are 4-5 years now. This is huge difference from those cap killing 7 year max's. I would match whatever comes his way. He does not have an injury history and if a few teams think he is a max guy, barring injury or an epic collapse, he would retain that value for another 8 months if we decided to move him

Last edited:
Core4 - I don't think the core is kept together because they just aren't that good. I think we have grossly overrated how good they actually are.
We should now see if the core is not that good or if they were just seriously miss-used. I have a feeling that in the right system some of these players are going to show that Corbin was just a terrible coach.

I think Corbin has earned a spot in the org if he wants it... But I have issues with his coaching. i.e. Lack of situational awareness. Especially defensive moves to disrupt hot shooters. When teams were killings us on pick and roll, why not switch up to a zone just to give a different look. Make the other team adjust to you.

Big Al and Milsap killed it this year. Why couldn't Corbin figure out an offense that enhanced their off skills without making their defensive weakness so pronounced?

I believe one of the reason our shooters had low percentages is because the offense couldn't get guys open. I watched time and time again teams easily switch on our offense that then didn't create secondary mismatches. I get that they need to be better at setting picks, etc, but isn't that where coaching or lack thereof really shows up in games. Watch Pop's offense... Doesn't matter who is on the floor, guys are still open. Discipline.... Discipline.

They are 7-12 Million a year good. We have a great oppurtunity to build around them now and plug in players that fit with, fingers crossed, a real coach and system.

Well If this is true then I am happy for Ty and his family. I wish him nothing the best. I believe it was time for a change but I hope most Jazz fans stay classy. You can be excited but you don't have to be jerks and bash the man leaving. Ty didn't murder anyone and he did the best he was capable of under the circumstances.

Well said

Sent from the JazzFanz app

[size/HUGE] fixed [/size];811371 said:
The "core" will be broken up for reasons other than money.
I agree. There may be some duplication. Perhaps the opportunity comes up to trade a big for a better PG. Or maybe a PG (if the BPA this draft were Smart or Exum) for a SF, etc. Maybe Gobert blows up in the next few years and becomes a starting 5. Then Favors or Kanter are likely traded. Or maybe they have a player on the cusp of a big payout and decide they can't keep everyone and trade him for picks.

This team is eerily developing like Memphis under Hubie Brown. They amassed a lot of nice players, truly 2 deep at every position (which Utah can be in the next two drafts and a FA or two). But they felt they didn't have a "go-to" player other than Pau Gasol and tried to rework the team. Never got back to their 2003-04 record, despite bringing in vets. Then they imploded in 2006-07, eventually traded Pau and struggled for three years until Randolph came in to team up with Marc Gasol and Hollins was hired.

Moral of the story: Jazz need to acquire an all-star quality veteran, even if it costs them two very good, but not great players and bring in a top coach.

Big Al and Milsap killed it this year. Why couldn't Corbin figure out an offense that enhanced their off skills without making their defensive weakness so pronounced?

I agree that Corbin's D scheme seemed poor and never got any better but I'm not sure using Big Al and Milsap are good for the point you're trying to make.

If you look at their advanced stats they were about on par for what they were when they played for the Jazz Al's did increase slightly more then Milsap's but again not that far off. If your saying well their teams made the playoffs let me reply with if their teams were in the West they would've been out of the playoffs. Which also one could (I wont) argue that also played a part in their slight increase in their numbers.

I'm at work so I can't spend the time nor is it my thing but I'm sure guys like GVC could post links to https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/ to show you.

Sorry got off my point a little, I agree Corbin had enough issues that he shouldn't be brought back but maybe the details of my opinion on that are different.

Don't think so. If it was something close, it was definitely sarcasm. But I honestly don't remember that statement. And I think my constant criticism during the season has made my position clear. Besides, it is very rare for anyone in an organization to be clearly demoted. Some may be phased out by giving them a different title with lesser day-to-day duties, but a coach to a scout? Not very likely.

Don't think so. If it was something close, it was definitely sarcasm. But I honestly don't remember that statement. And I think my constant criticism during the season has made my position clear. Besides, it is very rare for anyone in an organization to be clearly demoted. Some may be phased out by giving them a different title with lesser day-to-day duties, but a coach to a scout? Not very likely.

It was someone here, sorry thought it was you, lol...

I think Corbin has earned a spot in the org if he wants it... But I have issues with his coaching. i.e. Lack of situational awareness. Especially defensive moves to disrupt hot shooters. When teams were killings us on pick and roll, why not switch up to a zone just to give a different look. Make the other team adjust to you.

I believe one of the reason our shooters had low percentages is because the offense couldn't get guys open. I watched time and time again teams easily switch on our offense that then didn't create secondary mismatches. I get that they need to be better at setting picks, etc, but isn't that where coaching or lack thereof really shows up in games. Watch Pop's offense... Doesn't matter who is on the floor, guys are still open. Discipline.... Discipline.

If you think a coach is going to walk into ESA and set up a system in year one then you're setting yourself up for disappointment. Next year will likely be a step back as far as schemes and complexity goes.

There's a big myth here that Steve Clifford has found a way to hide Al Jefferson in his defensive schemes (so much hate and vitriol will lead to crazy *** notions like this). If you read Clifford's interviews you'll see how asinine this suggestion is, right from the horse's mouth. Clifford, like every good coach, has installed a base NBA defense and relies on his on-ball defenders to limit the amount of double teams they have to use. He has stated several times that he could do more stuff, but his team isn't ready for more complex rotations. There success is all credited to MKG's elite defense, and solid ball stoppers elsewhere.

Those expecting a new coach to bring success are going to have another miserable season on their hands.

If you think a coach is going to walk into ESA and set up a system in year one then you're setting yourself up for disappointment. Next year will likely be a step back as far as schemes and complexity goes.

There's a big myth here that Steve Clifford has found a way to hide Al Jefferson in his defensive schemes (so much hate and vitriol will lead to crazy *** notions like this). If you read Clifford's interviews you'll see how asinine this suggestion is, right from the horse's mouth. Clifford, like every good coach, has installed a base NBA defense and relies on his on-ball defenders to limit the amount of double teams they have to use. He has stated several times that he could do more stuff, but his team isn't ready for more complex rotations. There success is all credited to MKG's elite defense, and solid ball stoppers elsewhere.

Those expecting a new coach to bring success are going to have another miserable season on their hands.

I'm will to bet that next years team won't be as bad as this years team defensiy!!

Again, how is a coach going to make the defense better by installing a simplified system? You're deceiving yourself if you think we're going to find the next Steve Clifford or Tom Thibbodeau and magically change anything. Clifford would tell you that himself.