What's new

OFFICIAL: Utah Jazz will not offer Ty Corbin a new contract

This is great news. Corbin seems like an affable individual, good head on his shoulders, but he was out of his element. I welcome the change and support Dennis Lindsey.

If you think a coach is going to walk into ESA and set up a system in year one then you're setting yourself up for disappointment. Next year will likely be a step back as far as schemes and complexity goes.

There's a big myth here that Steve Clifford has found a way to hide Al Jefferson in his defensive schemes (so much hate and vitriol will lead to crazy *** notions like this). If you read Clifford's interviews you'll see how asinine this suggestion is, right from the horse's mouth. Clifford, like every good coach, has installed a base NBA defense and relies on his on-ball defenders to limit the amount of double teams they have to use. He has stated several times that he could do more stuff, but his team isn't ready for more complex rotations. There success is all credited to MKG's elite defense, and solid ball stoppers elsewhere.

Those expecting a new coach to bring success are going to have another miserable season on their hands.

Next year will be a step back? Based on what? And when you say a step back, are you referring to losing more games?

What do you define as success?

If you think a coach is going to walk into ESA and set up a system in year one then you're setting yourself up for disappointment. Next year will likely be a step back as far as schemes and complexity goes.

Those expecting a new coach to bring success are going to have another miserable season on their hands.

I agree. But Corbin had 3 years to set up offensive and defensive schemes. Jazz never seemed to have any recognizable system. So I guess all the Jazz players are just terrible and Corbin was a basketball genius but could just never prove it.

It will be a step back as a new staff installs their sets and rotations. But I expect we'll see at least minimal progress as the year progresses. I don't think we saw that with Corbin the last two years.

Again, how is a coach going to make the defense better by installing a simplified system? You're deceiving yourself if you think we're going to find the next Steve Clifford or Tom Thibbodeau and magically change anything. Clifford would tell you that himself.

Doesn't have to be dramatically different just not worst in the league!!!

There's a big myth here that Steve Clifford has found a way to hide Al Jefferson in his defensive schemes (so much hate and vitriol will lead to crazy *** notions like this). If you read Clifford's interviews you'll see how asinine this suggestion is, right from the horse's mouth. Clifford, like every good coach, has installed a base NBA defense and relies on his on-ball defenders to limit the amount of double teams they have to use. He has stated several times that he could do more stuff, but his team isn't ready for more complex rotations. There success is all credited to MKG's elite defense, and solid ball stoppers elsewhere.

MKG missed 20 games this year and averaged 25 minutes in games he did play. But Charlotte's D is all cuz of him rite!! Sounds like something somebody made up :/

Hopefully Franklin makes like Sloanfeld and mcBounces now

Dennis Lindsey:

- We are going to look for the "New Leader" for the Utah Jazz

- It will be a very objective process, then progressively subjective. We will consider 'the full platter' of options.

- Championship teams are generally top 5 offensively or defensively

- Being a Defensive program is very important to who we are and we want to establish that foundation

- When Ty found it, he was disappointed but first class, and professional.

- Regarding lack of playing time for young guys: "The HC is the one who decides playing time. Ownership or management never dictates that. There are discussions regarding it, but ultimately HC makes that decision. Ty did a fine job."

- Firing: "It was a collective decision."

- Timeframe: "However long it takes to get the best man in the seat". Won't be pressured by draft, etc. Need to find the right person. It is a "monumental decision"

- Ty sticking around: "I will never rule that out".

MKG missed 20 games this year and averaged 25 minutes in games he did play. But Charlotte's D is all cuz of him rite!! Sounds like something somebody made up :/

What's new. He claimed in another thread that Jefferson was a top something or other 3 point shooter. It was a bald faced lie. And when called out on it he ignored it. He'll say anything to defend his boy Corbin. Does not have to be true or hold any basis in fact.

What's new. He claimed in another thread that Jefferson was a top something or other 3 point shooter. It was a bald faced lie. And when called out on it he ignored it. He'll say anything to defend his boy Corbin. Does not have to be true or hold any basis in fact.

I honestly think he's trolling. I'm not falling for it.

I honestly think he's trolling. I'm not falling for it.
Probably. He's good at it. But he's been consistently on Corbin's jock. Won't admit anything the dude does is bad, or his fault. I really think he may be related, or Corbin himself.

I'm only repeating what Clifford has said on multiple occasions. Are you claiming he's lying when he says his defensive schemes are very basic, common NBA schemes?

I agree. But Corbin had 3 years to set up offensive and defensive schemes. Jazz never seemed to have any recognizable system. So I guess all the Jazz players are just terrible and Corbin was a basketball genius but could just never prove it.

It will be a step back as a new staff installs their sets and rotations. But I expect we'll see at least minimal progress as the year progresses. I don't think we saw that with Corbin the last two years.

The Jazz had several systems, and there playmaking made several noticeable improvements throughout the season. The problem is most fans are like you and don't know enough to recognize a system. A little education would go a long way.

Again, how is a coach going to make the defense better by installing a simplified system? You're deceiving yourself if you think we're going to find the next Steve Clifford or Tom Thibbodeau and magically change anything. Clifford would tell you that himself.

I mean Hornacek must be a god then.

I'm only repeating what Clifford has said on multiple occasions. Are you claiming he's lying when he says his defensive schemes are very basic, common NBA schemes?

So his basic system was better than the system we had? Meaning our defense will get better next year, because we'll actually have some system?

I agree that Corbin's D scheme seemed poor and never got any better but I'm not sure using Big Al and Milsap are good for the point you're trying to make.

If you look at their advanced stats they were about on par for what they were when they played for the Jazz Al's did increase slightly more then Milsap's but again not that far off. If your saying well their teams made the playoffs let me reply with if their teams were in the West they would've been out of the playoffs. Which also one could (I wont) argue that also played a part in their slight increase in their numbers.

I'm at work so I can't spend the time nor is it my thing but I'm sure guys like GVC could post links to https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/ to show you.

Sorry got off my point a little, I agree Corbin had enough issues that he shouldn't be brought back but maybe the details of my opinion on that are different.

there is no denying it.
it did not seem poor

IT WAS PISSPOOR!

didnt horny just do that vs the suns?

or are u saying horny missed the playoff by 1 game without a system

holy ****.

if horny institutes a system CHAMPIONSHIP next year.

your stoop!d

serioulsly the right coach could do that

jazz had a system
vetfense
alfense
and last but not least
hayfense

Damn, what a way to make a bad day all of a sudden go good. The Sty is gone. Styrone the Cyclone has vanished. No more HURRICANE in Utah. STRAIGHT CASH HOMIE!