What's new

Official Utah/Minnesota/Philadelphia Pick Watch

Why are you hoping Minny gets KAT back? We want them to suck. We own their pick in the next draft.
I know but for 2 reasons :
- I m totally convinced that Minny has too many talents and that they will never end in the lottery. I may be wrong.
- I wanna Rudy to succeed there.

- I m totally convinced that Minny has too many talents and that they will never end in the lottery. I may be wrong.
I completely understand the 2nd part... but I dont know if their talents are as legit as people think. Just look at their 3 best players:
Edwards can look like an absolute beast at times... but the emphasis is on the "at times" part.
KAT is soft and a lazy defender and everyone uses it against him... and besides people forget that even at his best KAT was "promising superstar prospect"... but that was 3 years ago and he has decline every year since.
Rudy is great but he is not a solo player.. he needs a good passer to score consistently and cannot defend 5 players simultaneously as we all know. And it just so happens that they dont have a good passer.

Also who are their leaders? Pat Bev used to keep them in check (barely)... but he isnt there anymore. DLo acting toxic isnt helping them either.

Its not a fluke that they are where they are. Its a team that plays less than the sum of its parts.. and even the parts are not as elite as some seem to think.

Lets do a blind comparison of two teams top 2 players and how they have performed this season:

Team #1 scoring guard: 23.8 PPG at 45/35/76 splits, 6.0 RPG, 4.4 APG, 1.2 SPG, 3.2 TOPG
Team #2 scoring guard: 21.1 PPG at 45/35/81 splits, 4.2 RPG, 4.4 APG, 0.5 SPG, 2.9 TOPG

Id say Team #1 has a better guard.

Team #1 big: 20.8 PPG at 50/32/88 splits, 8.2 RPG, 5.3 APG, 0.7 BPG, 0.8 SPG, 3.1 TOPG
Team #2 big: 24.6 PPG at 52/41/86 splits, 8.6 RPG, 1.9 APG, 0.6 BPG, 0.6 SPG, 1.9 TOPG

Id say Team #2 has a better big.

Team #1 is Minnesota with Ant and KAT
Team #2 is Jazz with Clarkson and Markkanen

Yes i agree with you for the most part. But if they are smart enough ( trading Dlo will help), they have the potential to be 7-9 . Which i believe it's still not our position with our current roster. We miss 2 starters to think about beeing really good. Hopefully we got one through the draft and one by trade.

Yes i agree with you for the most part. But if they are smart enough ( trading Dlo will help), they have the potential to be 7-9 . Which i believe it's still not our position with our current roster. We miss 2 starters to think about beeing really good. Hopefully we got one through the draft and one by trade.
They have the exact same issues for their starters (1 good forward and 1 good PG away) as we do. Difference is they dont have assets to trade with... not picks or even quality bench players they can afford to give up.

Call me a homer or whatever but while I think they are slightly better than us right now.. the gap is definitely not big and we are the ones who could make a push if we wanted to (I dont think we do though).

We might end up selling and tanking and drop below them in standings... but right now even Vegas has us, Minny and Lakers at the exact same win total expecations at 38.5 wins.

They probably will improve as the season goes on. But we get our pick and theirs, we definitely want them to be as bad as possible. I'll gladly cheer for Rudy being successful when it doesn't directly hurt the Jazz.

Even if it's there difference of one or two positions that helps the Jazz. If comes down to Jazz making the lottery or Minny I'll chose us every time. Partially for the entertainment but also financially for the team is better which in theory helps the team be more willing to spend. Obviously best case scenario with the draft is both missing three playoffs and we get there 1 and 2 pick. That or the Jazz improve and go on a run and win it all this year.

I would love to see Minny push to the play in game and lose the game. Then win the lottery for us. Is that possible?

I would love to see Minny push to the play in game and lose the game. Then win the lottery for us. Is that possible?
Depends on their record and the record of other teams eliminated in the play-in stage.

Worst record of teams eliminated in play in: 11.7% for top 4 and 2.5% for #1.
2nd worst: 7.1% / 1.5%
2nd best: 3.8% / 0.8%
Best: 3.4% / 0.7%

In comparison, best team outside of play-in (21st seed) has same odds as the worst play in team (11.7% / 2.5%)
22nd is 20.4% / 4.5%
23rd and 24th are both around 29.0% / 6.7%
25th is 37.2% / 9.0% <--- This is the tanking sweet spot and really the lowest seed anyone not in the current bottom 5 could tank to

Nah. Let the disfunction reign and have them fall completely out of the play-in. Jazz get two top 10 picks and hopefully get a decent shot at moving up to #1. Looked like it was going to go that way for a bit there. . . and then both teams started winning games.

Hopefully, the Jazz make some trades and commit to a rebuilding season moving forward, while the Timberwolves completely implode to end the season.

Great PICKS day. TOR ATL GS - win. Minny lost to JAZZ. We need Wolves to lose games and they are on a good track of losing right now.
If we trade some veterans like Conley or Beasley our pick take care of itself.
I think you mean - WHEN we trade some veterans like Conley and Beasley and Olynyk and Gay and THT. . . our pick will take care of itself.

Great PICKS day. TOR ATL GS - win. Minny lost to JAZZ. We need Wolves to lose games and they are on a good track of losing right now.
Screw our pick if minny falls into top 10.

Plus we trade Beasley and/or Conley and we are just as good. Argument to be made for better but I think we potentially would miss Conley for certain matchups

Nah. Let the disfunction reign and have them fall completely out of the play-in. Jazz get two top 10 picks and hopefully get a decent shot at moving up to #1. Looked like it was going to go that way for a bit there. . . and then both teams started winning games.

Hopefully, the Jazz make some trades and commit to a rebuilding season moving forward, while the Timberwolves completely implode to end the season.
They are a 10 game Ant absence away from falling out of the play in imo. As long as he is playing they are like a .500-ish team.

They are a 10 game Ant absence away from falling out of the play in imo. As long as he is playing they are like a .500-ish team.
He’s empty calories. I want to like him, but he just comes across as too self absorbed to really lead his team.

Maybe he keeps them afloat. . . but with how this year’s going for them, I wouldn’t bet much on that.

He’s empty calories. I want to like him, but he just comes across as too self absorbed to really lead his team.

Maybe he keeps them afloat. . . but with how this year’s going for them, I wouldn’t bet much on that.
He's really good. Much more than empty calories. He's their most important player by a wide margin. He misses 10 games they might only win like 2 games. It becomes the D-Lo show and it ain't pretty.

I think if we trade vets it doesn't hurt us much. Our young guys are really really good.